Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Need help with all types of maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gameboi499 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with all types of maintenance

I'm not in school this semester so I thought this would be a great time for me to do all the necessary maintenance work on my car:
-oil filter
-air filter (both cabin and intake)
-transmission fluid
-coolant
-spark plug
-brakes

I usually only do oil filter myself, but I need help with pretty much everything else. I drive an 01 ex coupe. Sad thing is I bought this car used and so I don't have the manual. Can someone take a picture of where everything are? For starter, where do I drain out the coolant and the tranny fluid? I guess if I go under the car I can figure out where these two are. But just incase they aren't obvious, can someone post some pix? Also how do I gain access to the cabin and intake filter? Is there anything that I should be aware of before I start?
Old 03-24-2007
Registered!!

Lord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of lightLord ET is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help with all types of maintenance

for the cabin air filter, you can remove the two clips in the glove box when you open it....the glove box will swing down and you will see a plastic box and you can figure it out from there. To remove the tabs don't open the glove box all the way, but enough to get your hands in, and pull the bottom portion of the tabs toward the middle of the glove box.
Old 03-25-2007
Registered!!

Ok how often do you guys recommend changing the transmission fluid if I drive an auto
Old 03-25-2007
Registered!!

speedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of lightspeedricerx is a glorious beacon of light

i recommend you use the search button.

edit: There IS a whole section dedicated to DIYs.

Last edited by speedricerx; 03-25-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

you need a 3/8th inch ratchet to remove the drain bolt(has a square head in the bolt for just the ratchet to be used, no socket) for the tranny fluid, its on the passenger side next to the frame...tight fit and let that drain than put 3 quarts of honda ATF in through the dipstick.

the filter under the hood you just need an 8mm socket i believe and remove all the bolts, around 8 or so than just pop in the new one

coolant is best to use a machine, they flush out the old coolant and put it new coolant while it does that

spark plugs you just need the spark plug socket to take out the old ones and put in new ones

brakes depends, can be just pads or new rotors or get the rotors cut if your pedal shakes when you step on the pedal...cause they are warped. Than there are the brake shoes in the rear too

how many miles are on your car?

Last edited by RHCP0801; 03-25-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RHCP0801
you need a 3/8th inch ratchet to remove the drain bolt(has a square head in the bolt for just the ratchet to be used, no socket) for the tranny fluid, its on the passenger side next to the frame...tight fit and let that drain than put 3 quarts of honda ATF in through the dipstick.

the filter under the hood you just need an 8mm socket i believe and remove all the bolts, around 8 or so than just pop in the new one

coolant is best to use a machine, they flush out the old coolant and put it new coolant while it does that

spark plugs you just need the spark plug socket to take out the old ones and put in new ones

brakes depends, can be just pads or new rotors or get the rotors cut if your pedal shakes when you step on the pedal...cause they are warped. Than there are the brake shoes in the rear too

how many miles are on your car?
Thanks for the reply. I have 60k miles on my car