Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

synthetic or regular motor oil ????

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTecCivic1505 is an unknown quantity at this point
synthetic or regular motor oil ????

do you really feel like more power or whatever from synthetic oil rather than regular motor oil???
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
Power I'd say no.. it's more about protection and maintenance. With synthetic breaking down less and longer intervals between changes.
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

mikecivexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
go with synthetic. much better protection and peace of mind. if I could make a suggestion either go with amsoil (amsoil.com), only if you are really into taking the extra step for your car... or mobile 1. imo.
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

Spartacus is an unknown quantity at this point
cars last long with regular oil as well as syn. oil...Synthetic may pay off in the long run but wont necessarily create miracles.
Old 01-18-2007
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Yes, you got 50hp just by switching to synthetic...

someone needs to read up on oil.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ters-more.html

Bob Is The Oil Guy
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

BCCentaur3 is an unknown quantity at this point
No way, I heard you can get like 75 hp's from synthetic.
Old 01-18-2007
Registered!!

hwt101 is an unknown quantity at this point
you only get 75 hp with synthetic when you apply the companies sticker to your car. But seriously use a full synthetic its so much better for the motor.
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
come on guys you drive a civic. i bet my motor still goes past 200k miles on dino. but if you want to waste money go right ahead and buy expensive oil. ill stick to my lubecontrol.com, makes a bigger diff than just switching to synthetic.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I've read a lot of statements by you that the 7gen is a piece of crap and wont last... changed your mind?
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
never said anything bad about the engine, just other areas, mainly the known factory defects. im sure other stuff will continue to break long before the engine does, as is happening already. got an alternator not too long ago, and new trans is coming this summer when the old one dies. not to mention motor mounts arent looking too good, and the car makes strange noises before warming up. prolly ps pump or something else lol. but yea overall 7thgen is not nearly as reliable as the older hondas. almost any mechanic will tell you the same thing.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough
I did notice one big benefit to going synthetic. I used to have a leak from the valve cover gasket when the oil got older, I guess because it was breaking down and thinning out. I switched to synthetic and I haven't had the leak since. I guess there could be a million and one reasons why the leak went away and no guarantee that it won't come back, but for now I will stick with synthetic and see what happens.
Old 01-19-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
common guys.......we drive a slush box......chaning ur oil isnt going to giv you a performance "feel" gain..... its all in ur head......(you'll get minimal gain)
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

BiggyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
synthetic is way better, basically no changes in horsepower, but you can't really feel changes in horsepower from an oil change.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

joe6680 will become famous soon enoughjoe6680 will become famous soon enough
Another thing you may notice is a small gain in mpg. So to sum everything up you'll gain piece of mind, a slight gain in mpg, and a gain in mileage between changes, but these are the only gains you will notice, you will not gain power, and to think you would is just ludicrous.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

mikecivexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
I wonder where this post went into horsepower? No one said anything that one kind of oil will make your car faster... it's just that one starts to break down earlier than the other.
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

PitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nicePitchBlack is just really nice
Just remember if you switch to syn. oil you can't switch back to the regular stuff...sooo think about that...if you want HP throw some stickers on there...and mud flaps!!
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

VTecCivic1505 is an unknown quantity at this point
i aint a ricer i know oil dont add horsepower was just wondering the advantage of synthetic oil to regular oil
Old 01-19-2007
Show me your titties, I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!

SilverStreakEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by PitchBlack
Just remember if you switch to syn. oil you can't switch back to the regular stuff...sooo think about that...if you want HP throw some stickers on there...and mud flaps!!
you can't ever switch back to regular oil after going synthetic? why is that?
Old 01-19-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
That's not necessarily true.. I remember reading I think one of boilermaker's posts that switching was a problem with older vehicles/motors for some reason but shouldn't be an issue with our newer civics. It's not recommended to keep switching so choose one or the other.
Old 01-19-2007
Premium Member

there is no problem switching, you wont notice a difference. and ive seen dino oil with lc20 treatment last 10k miles. thats better than synthetic. but really, your engine doesnt care.
Old 01-20-2007
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Just remember if you switch to syn. oil you can't switch back to the regular stuff

Not true at all. I currently run synthetic in my civic, but if i had to do it all over again i'd run conventional. If your civic has a turbo, then you'd probably be better off running synthetic, although it wouldn't be necessary by any means.
Old 01-20-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's the stickers that make a difference.
Old 01-20-2007
Premium Member

what stickers, powered by greddy vtec oil?
Old 01-20-2007
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by VTecCivic1505
i aint a ricer i know oil dont add horsepower was just wondering the advantage of synthetic oil to regular oil
If you ain't a ricer than your first post wouldn't have mentioned anything about power because you would have known that synthetic oil doesn't make more power or make you "feel" more power. Read bobistheoilguy for information.
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Just remember if you switch to syn. oil you can't switch back to the regular stuff..!
This is myth. Not true at all, go to bobistheoilguy and ask the expert about this one
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm using Synthetic oil. about 1 month after i bought my EM2 I changed the regular oil to 5w20 Mobil 1 Super Syn oil. cars been running GREAT ever since. never had a problem running in the first place but hey!. the ONLY thing I notice after an oil change in my car is that it's much more quieter or smoother when idling or running still. it purrs like a kitten. and MAYBE on a second note. i think that MPG is probably a bit better.
Old 01-23-2007
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by gearbox
what stickers, powered by greddy vtec oil?
That, and APC.
Old 01-23-2007
Registered!!

roll_outz is an unknown quantity at this point
By using Synthetic oil U feel a smooth run on ur engine..I dont think thers any problem goin back to regular oil.... Ive done it 4 so many times...Don't listen to those crooks..
Old 01-23-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
no one beleives me, nor will anyone ever beleive me, but when i switched from conventional to synthetic i got 2-3mpg gain. no lies
Old 01-24-2007
Premium Member

i get 42mpg highway using dino oil. what do you get with synthetic?

Oh wait and you guys are all wrong. castrol syntec says no other oil delivers more HP. and then the Q syn oil says unleash all your horses. regular oil causes power robbing friction so these ads must be right.

Quick Reply: synthetic or regular motor oil ????