Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Where is all my gas going!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
marcuse will become famous soon enough
Where is all my gas going!?!?

I know that 02 civic ex's have a 13.2 gallon tank. this means that if i am getting 30 mpg i should be able to go about 396 miles on a tank of gas. well i clocked my miles when i filled up and from F to right above the E i get about 260 miles.... what is going on? why am i losing so much mpg??
Old 07-26-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
gas light comes on when theres about 3 gallons left. best way is fill up, drive, then when you're low fill up again and see how many gallons it takes. then just divide miles/gallons. the pump isnt always accurate for this either so use the same one if possible. try some of these www.lubecontrol.com and change air filter, plugs, etc
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

jfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I read an article on how the EPA is so conservative in their estimates that for some cars its ratings can be up to 50% wrong. Unless you're driving highway the entire tank, I don't think you'll ever see anything near 396 miles per tank.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

good to know about the gas light. so i wont fill it up right away whent the gas light goes on.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

2k1_sedan is an unknown quantity at this point
I would imagine your driving habits (aggressive vs mellow) and type of driving (city vs highway) and the mods you have done to your car would also play a part. If you have heavy rims, a huge sub box and are play Ricky Racer to each stoplight I wouldn't expect to get even 30 mpg. And yes I am overstating the obvious.

Gearbox, you never cease to amaze me with your wealth of knowledge.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know about you guys but it some cases my gas light will actually turn off after it goes on for the first time after driving on the highway for a while. After it goes on again I usually fill up and it normally fills between 10 and 11 gallons. I've actually experienced the car shutting off on empty before so I have a good idea of when I need to get gas. Basically don't panic if it goes on E you have a while dude before you'll cut off. (I've driven for 4 days on E but local trips haha.) You should be getting better gas mileage though. Try a fuel system cleaner and make sure ur intake filter is clean. I've been able to drive from NJ to Portland, Maine in 1 tank!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jfan
I read an article on how the EPA is so conservative in their estimates that for some cars its ratings can be up to 50% wrong. Unless you're driving highway the entire tank, I don't think you'll ever see anything near 396 miles per tank.
Well the reason why is because they test the cars at like 32 or 42 mph on flat surface with no obsticles. I have gotten all most 475 on one tank of gas before so it is possible.
Old 07-31-2006
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
ive driven to vegas from san diego which is like 375 miles or something like that , and i always think im cutting it close when i do that, so yea, sometimes i have gotten good gas milage, but right now mine is sucking, and i dont know why
Old 07-31-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
ive made it for days with the gas light on but u know when ur running low when start is choked lol normally when the light comes on and i go fill it up only 10 gallons goes in
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

ian01ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I never tried to push it too far on the gas light since I didnt know how much was left. I have gotten over 400 miles on a tank and when I filled up there was 11 gallons replaced. You should be doing way better than what you are unless you love to floor your car.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

Kyle23 should not be trustedKyle23 should not be trusted
It all depends on how u drive.. Do you use the AC/Heater alot? Do you drive over 70mph? Do u shift like a normal human?

I've gotten over 400miles a few times with about 10 gallons of gas = 40.5mpg. And that's with an EX 5 speed. Typically I get about 350 miles on a tank when the light comes on then I fill up = 35.

You should really be doing a lot better. Unless your car has low miles! I did't start getting the good gas milage until I hit 30k
Old 07-31-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
yea after around 25k miles, you should be having optimum mileage numbers (once engine is fully broken in).

Last edited by gearbox; 07-31-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2006
Registered!!

i bought the car with 38 thousand miles .. i think i need to do some maintance and hopefully that will help. gearbox, thanks.
Old 08-01-2006
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Kyle23
It all depends on how u drive.. Do you use the AC/Heater alot? Do you drive over 70mph? Do u shift like a normal human?

I've gotten over 400miles a few times with about 10 gallons of gas = 40.5mpg. And that's with an EX 5 speed. Typically I get about 350 miles on a tank when the light comes on then I fill up = 35.

You should really be doing a lot better. Unless your car has low miles! I did't start getting the good gas milage until I hit 30k
i find it ironic that you saying your glad your car hit 30k to get better gas mileage and for me i wish i never hit 30k, hopefully its just the humidity
Old 08-01-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
ive seen my mpg go down over the years as well....

how much can a DIRTY DIRTY air filter effect MPG?? cuz mine is quite dirty and i never remember to replace it...maybe that should be a priority...? haha do you think i'd see a noticable difference between a new and 1.5 yr old filter?
Old 08-01-2006
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
You will experience better gas mileage with a clean filter TRUST ME. I used to clean mine every season when I had my cold air intake and it would get sooooo black. When it was bad I would have to fill up every few days from normal driving. Now I have my AEM v2 and I clean it every oil change. Gas mileage improved from stock so keeping a clean filter does make a difference.
Old 08-01-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
im embarrassed to say this...i hadn't had a oil change in like 12k miles! i finally got one a few weeks ago but they didn't have any filters that would fit my v2...so im searching for 1 right now. they're like 65 on ebay! thats a lot for a filter imo....

ive been noticing my shitty gas milage but i figured it was because of my driving style (i like to zoom from like to light haha...) but the more i think about it...i don't really drive like that all the time...so hopefully when i get the new filter i'll see a difference!
Old 08-01-2006
Registered!!

If your filter is filthy I'd recommend buying a new filter I think the V2 gets a 3inch filter but someone correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise just buy the K&N cleaning kit for like 20 bucks. They might even be cheaper than that honestly. Goodluck though and KEEP UP WITH UR MAINTENANCE lol.
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

ES2Slow4Me is an unknown quantity at this point
I get about 350 before I fill it up. That puts me at under 1/4 on the guage, but not enough to think about the las light coming on. I drive with the A/C on all the time, sometimes while the window is down some so i can smoke. I shift at 3000 RPM most of the time and neutral stop. I'm not a hard driver all the time, but I dont drive like an old lady to save gas either. I'm happy with my mileage.
Old 08-02-2006
Premium Member

just went 360 with chevron with techron, but i think the main thing is, its not as humid, but now i have to worry about the rock chip in my front windshield
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

FreedomEagle has a spectacular aura aboutFreedomEagle has a spectacular aura aboutFreedomEagle has a spectacular aura about
THERE WAS FREE GAS OUT HERE IN CALI LOL they sold like 10,000 dollars worth of free gas.. i guy came over and filled up his mobilehome 100 gallon tank LUCKY BASTARD lol. but gas princes now < 2 years ago.. should go down to at least 2 bucks and im sure everyone would be happy with that
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
I run my civic really,really hard all the time! NEVER get below 32 mpg except in very cold weather!
Check air and fuel filters
Old 08-02-2006
Registered!!

niaina is an unknown quantity at this point
I drive my car to work on a daily basis (all city driving) and take it out on week-ends too. Always shift at around 2500rpm and fill up my tank weekly. For 3 years now, I always get at least 400miles out of one full tank (warning light not even on) I once got up to 437miles before deciding to fill up.
By the way, you should never wait for the light to go on before filling up if you don't want to prematurely clog up your fuel filter. All the dirt are always at the bottom of the tank
Old 08-02-2006
Premium Member

there are still 3 gallons left when gas light comes on.
Old 08-02-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
I get between 22 mpg and 28 mpg in my new car
Old 08-28-2006
Registered!!

ccarbo is an unknown quantity at this point
FYI,
I got a 02 civic EX with 92,000 miles and I went 467 miles on tank, filled up 11.5 gallons. That eqauls 40.5 mpg. I have new NGK plugs, air filter, and ran some Lucas gas treatment thru couple tanks. Mostly hwy driving at 62 mph.
Old 08-28-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I get ~28 mpg [90% hwy]... but I think u can figure out why.

manthatguysfast: get an oil change u lazyass! ;P

your oil now probably has the viscosity of a 20w50
Old 08-29-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
your oil now probably has the viscosity of a 20w50
What? I understand you're exaggerating, but why do you think an oil would signifigantly thicken over a 12k oci?
Old 09-01-2006
All Show No Go Sedan

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Aznnp77 will become famous soon enoughAznnp77 will become famous soon enough
My car is at 225 right now, and I'm almost at E. what a blower.
Old 09-01-2006
Premium Member

gotta keep up that maintenance. mines 4 yrs old getting 42 mpg highway miles with intake and exhaust mods.

Quick Reply: Where is all my gas going!?!?