Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Where is all my gas going!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
02 Civic EX 5speed Coupe. 38k.

Scangauge tells me that I average 34.1MPG. That's pulling a nice hill twice a day. IF I could cruise, windows up in 5th gear at 65MPG, NO hills.... 42.8MPG steady. It can do it, but any grade or hill will drop MPG. Worst I get is 22MPG pulling hills, 4th or 5th gear make almost NO difference going up a hill. Coasting.... 105MPG, 0.3GPH fuel consumption. Coasting in neutral.... 152MPG, 0.2GPH fuel consumption. That's coasting at 65MPH.

Interesting stuff. I have already learned how NOT to drive. Aircondition sucks up 2MPG average. Not as bad as I thought. SO I'll use it more often when it's hot. OH, VERY important: I run 45PSI tires. Max 52psi rating.

My next experiment will be to log mileage by Octane to see if it makes any difference. All readings are Freeway under nearly identical conditions. So this will take a bit.

Current fuel is chevron regular.
Old 11-28-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by runner1738
ive driven to vegas from san diego which is like 375 miles or something like that , and i always think im cutting it close when i do that, so yea, sometimes i have gotten good gas milage, but right now mine is sucking, and i dont know why

I've been driving that for the last 5 years... on the highway with my 01 EX (100,000 + miles on it now too) I average some where between 36-42 MPG depending on how long I run at 80+ mph. when I cruze at 70-75 I ushually end up with a quarter tank left when I get home.

in town, I get about 30 mpg.
Old 11-30-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
One of the biggest factors in mileage is the specific energy density of the gasoline you put into your tank. Here in Tarrant (And Dallas, and Denton, basically DFW area) county, the gas in all the pumps is a mixed blend, usually with something like 15% ethanol. That mixture has a lower specific energy density, thus making your mileage and power drop significantly. I know people that drive up here on one tank from Corpus Christi, but have to fill up on the way back.
Old 12-01-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I'm getting about 28 mpg driving mostly hwy ... or about 26 mpg mostly city w/ my k20 ... not -too- bad ... with my d17, I used to get about 32-33mpg hwy. I don't know why it was so low ... -_-;
Old 12-01-2006
Official Wish He Knew It All

HyeHonda05 will become famous soon enough
My car is just under 27k, and it is slowly starting to get better gas mileage...I mean....i do sometimes drive like an animal....lol.....but, i have gotten 400 miles to tank once....which was amazing....I love that feeling......
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TRIZ
i'm starting to get depressed, I've never seen 40, I get 27-32 or so (with agressive back road driving). With all highway, I recently got 35.xx. I dunno about some people getting 50+, seems a little redic but they got BS called allready. *sigh* I guess thats what happens you live in a city- stop and go all the way home.
I think also living in a cold climate has something to do with it too. I live in Las Vegas, where it doesn't get really cold. Hardly ever rains. Plus I drive like a granny and do 90% freeway driving at the speed limit. When I lived in NYC, the best I got was 33 mpg. I did notice the gas mileage get even better when I put in NKG iridium spark plugs. Went into the 40's more instead of the high 30's.
Old 12-07-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not the heat in Las Vegas that helps. Think about it.

What three things are required for an internal combustion engine to function? Fuel, Oxygen, and Fire, right?

Well, hot air has a lower density than colder air. It also has less oxygen than cold air. If anything, hot weather hurts your mileage.

HOWEVER it's the humidity that helps. When the air contains less water vapor, it contains more oxygen.

In conclusion, a cold, dry day at sea level is the most efficient atmospheric conditions possible.
Old 12-07-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by jester444
It's not the heat in Las Vegas that helps. Think about it.

What three things are required for an internal combustion engine to function? Fuel, Oxygen, and Fire, right?

Well, hot air has a lower density than colder air. It also has less oxygen than cold air. If anything, hot weather hurts your mileage.

HOWEVER it's the humidity that helps. When the air contains less water vapor, it contains more oxygen.

In conclusion, a cold, dry day at sea level is the most efficient atmospheric conditions possible.
In theory
In reality

The engine uses a lot of fuel to get to operating temp!
Old 12-09-2006
Registered!!

black04civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got back from Kentucky. I had to drive from Lexington to San Antonio. It took me about 19 hours with minimum stops and driving at least 10 over the speed limit except in Arkansas. My gas mileaged ranged from 35 to 38.5 ,pg, but I have the non-vtec D17A1 motor in My 04' VP. It's a 5-speed, but it's not that bad. I wish I could get the mileage of my girlfriends EX sedan. She still averaged 38 mpg in the desert of New Mexico with the Ac on and she has an auto. I do have one question. How come the fuel light comes on with 3 gallons left to go? I think it must be a Honda thing because the fuel guage on my 06 VFR800 is equally pessimistic
Old 12-25-2006
Registered!!

Feroz is an unknown quantity at this point
well, one time i was driving on the highway and i had the gas light for like a lonmg time and when i got to the gas station i filled with 12.95 gallons.