Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Where is all my gas going!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by SLO REX
Well the reason why is because they test the cars at like 32 or 42 mph on flat surface with no obsticles. I have gotten all most 475 on one tank of gas before so it is possible.

agreed...I did a trip from orlando fl to about mid ohio....
2 stops up two back..... (filled up before the trip and after)
avg of 37 mpg.....one tank I got 4xx it was high 400 but I didn't want to risk it...01 ex sedan....

fp60 helps ALOT....

right now city driving I'm averaging about 26-30 mpg....that is normal for the car...don't sweat it...you should average about 9-11.5 gallons per fill if you drive normally...and get about 250-325 miles too...
Old 09-09-2006
Registered!!

lindermant will become famous soon enoughlindermant will become famous soon enough
05 DX/Value Package coupe (auto trans) with 18,800 miles, mainly highway commute (50-55mph). I ran a recent tank to 524.6 miles; the tank just after that I recorded my highest tank MPG ever - 50.16MPG. Not too bad for non-hybrid car.
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

John04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jfan
I read an article on how the EPA is so conservative in their estimates that for some cars its ratings can be up to 50% wrong. Unless you're driving highway the entire tank, I don't think you'll ever see anything near 396 miles per tank.
I do. I get approximately 40 actual MPG. I do about 300 miles on the interstate and 100 miles in city per tank.

The EPA rated my 04 Ex I think at 37 MPG for 5-spd highway milage.
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

Jeep914x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an 04 that just turned over 30K.

Best mileage so far 52 mpg driving to work about 25 miles on way 65mph tops.

Worst 36 mpg hauling *** (100mph +) for about 200 miles and filled up.

I average about 44. Easily get 400 out of a tank.

Is it because I have a VP and no vtech? Seems like the SOHC engine gets better mileage.
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pon55
I run my civic really,really hard all the time! NEVER get below 32 mpg except in very cold weather!
Check air and fuel filters
that's right!! the lowest i've been able to get is 28 mpg, (no problems, no MIL lights) and i never got out of third for a week!! tank cap. 12.9 gal. US. take it to a shop, have them check your LDP, or whatever honda calls it. (leak detection pump) it pumps air on top of the fuel in the tank to keep a constant pressure on the fuel. this keeps the fuel tank pressureized. prevents evaparation of fuel. when you take off your fuel cap, does it release pressure? if not you may have a leaking cap, or a leak in your evap system. have a tech check your evap- canistor to see if it's full of fuel. if it is, you have a problem. if you bought this car used, the prevous owner might have gotten a leak in the evap system, couldn't find a problem, and disabled the check engine light.

if the check engine light comes on, it's in limp mode, and floods the engine with fuel to prevent further dammage on your trip to the shop/home. i had a evap leak for a few months before i found it. (rubbed a small hole in the line from vibrating on the intake tube.) gas millage durring this time was between 18 and 25 mpg. check your lines. 1 psi leak caused me to loose 10 to 15 mpg.

Last edited by civic-king; 10-02-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-02-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Jeep914x4
I have an 04 that just turned over 30K.

Best mileage so far 52 mpg driving to work about 25 miles on way 65mph tops.

Worst 36 mpg hauling *** (100mph +) for about 200 miles and filled up.

I average about 44. Easily get 400 out of a tank.

Is it because I have a VP and no vtech? Seems like the SOHC engine gets better mileage.
Calling bullshit on this one, first off there is no way a non-hybrid civic gets over 44 mpg, plus with getting 400 out of a tank of gas it is roughly 30-34 mpg. Second, it isn't vtech, that is a phone making company. It is VTEC. Also all Civics except the SI are SOHC. Get your **** straight, thanks have a nice day.
Old 10-02-2006
250+ awhp Stage 2

SLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant futureSLO REX has a brilliant future
Plus he has 4 posts so naturally he is a n00b who comes in hear and thinks, "Hmm how can I basically say I am a badass without telling everyone? I GOT IT! I can lying to make friends" WRONG GTFO!
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

Calling bullshit on this one, first off there is no way a non-hybrid civic gets over 44 mpg, plus with getting 400 out of a tank of gas it is roughly 30-34 mpg. Second, it isn't vtech, that is a phone making company. It is VTEC. Also all Civics except the SI are SOHC. Get your **** straight, thanks have a nice day.
Well, I don't know what to say. My non-Hybrid civic has gotten over 44. Driving a fairly flat road doing about 60 for 25 miles (one way). Only one stop. Only got 52 mpg once the first tank of gas after putting mobile 1 and a drop in K&N and driving to work like a grandma. I had just gotten the car so I was really babying it. I said I easily get 400 out of a tank. Not that's all I get. Right now I've got about 450 and I will probably fill up on the way home. I've been getting about 44 mpg average.

My bad about the VTEC spelling. I will make a note of that. I didn't know that all civics except the SI are SOHC I'm new to civics and still learning. Thanks for the info.

Plus he has 4 posts so naturally he is a n00b who comes in hear and thinks, "Hmm how can I basically say I am a badass without telling everyone? I GOT IT! I can lying to make friends" WRONG GTFO!
Classic... pick on the "n00b". Hey, at least I didn't come in here asking what exhaust is best and what size rims I can fit. I shall bow down to you oh holy one... your post count is higher than mine...

Just so you know, I am not trying to say I am a badass. Go look at my introduction post. You will see I am hear to learn about my new car and make friends. Chill out man. We're all here to learn and share ideas. People make mistakes. It's cool to correct mistakes but you don't have to be an ***.

Last edited by Jeep914x4; 10-03-2006 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Fix my spelling so SLO REX doesn't rag on me for that too...
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Sujak
agree with bullshit

100mph + for 200 miles, so you drove 100mph+ for 2 hours without runing into traffic or a cop? you don't even know what engine 7thgens have so i don't trust you with Math.
You got it... not many traffic cops in NM. Sometimes I see them and they don't even have radar on.
Old 10-03-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Hmm, it seems fp60 helps quite a lot w/ D17's ... but I can't get it to do **** for my k20 ... X(
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
An earlier post I'm not gonna bother to quote said something about driving with the A/C and heater on. The heater doesn't drain the engine like running the compressor does. It just uses the heat the engine's already generating and pipes it through the cabin.

At least, that's how most work.

Am I right, or completely off on this one?
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jester444
An earlier post I'm not gonna bother to quote said something about driving with the A/C and heater on. The heater doesn't drain the engine like running the compressor does. It just uses the heat the engine's already generating and pipes it through the cabin.

At least, that's how most work.

Am I right, or completely off on this one?
right-o.
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Originally Posted by Jeep914x4
Well, I don't know what to say. My non-Hybrid civic has gotten over 44. Driving a fairly flat road doing about 60 for 25 miles (one way). Only one stop. Only got 52 mpg once the first tank of gas after putting mobile 1 and a drop in K&N and driving to work like a grandma. I had just gotten the car so I was really babying it. I said I easily get 400 out of a tank. Not that's all I get. Right now I've got about 450 and I will probably fill up on the way home. I've been getting about 44 mpg average.
WOW take that car right back to Honda, they want to see a car do that mpg!
Old 10-03-2006
Dain Bramaged.

jester444 is an unknown quantity at this point
Haha yeah, reminds me of a story of an M1A1 Abrams... Got stuck in the mud, and it's fellow M1A1's couldn't destroy it. They sent it back to GD to see what they did so right.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
also take into the account of how much you weigh, if you're fat, you're gonna get lower mpg... i'm 135 lbs and usually get around 360(have gotten 410 miles,, best record!!!) miles on one tank till the light comes on with normal everyday driving habits
Old 10-26-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
denso IK20s jumped my mpg about 5 all around.
Old 11-02-2006
Registered!!

enjoitofer is an unknown quantity at this point
i get about 29 mpg pounding it every other day or so
Old 11-03-2006
Falken Master

cwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nicecwo715 is just really nice
what brand gas are you using? i use shell and the gas guys let me pump it lol they dont even come over. when my tank is full i am one of those guys who fills in an extra 2 bucks to top it off. then when i get home ill add 8 oz of marvel mystery oil.. i average est 40mpg on my 42 mile commute to work on rt 80 and 36 for local trips.. get about 375 before E pops on

dont try to do MPG from now to feb.. the gas is more oxygenated..
Old 11-04-2006
Registered!!

i use shell gas but ya it really does matter how u drive your car even when i pound my car i still baby my clutch and everything so. plus i live in hawaii and the speed limit is hella slow so might be one thing why i dont use that much gas but i know thats not it so ya. just try baby your car when u drive and see from there.
Old 11-04-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
man, my car is AWSOME on gas!. i have an 02 Ex. i use premium gas (93). i don't have a heavy foot. i don't drive agressive. if i just drive to work and back home for the whole month for the most part. i swear to god!. my car's gas will last me about a month!. or atleast 26 to 29 days!. i live like 12 to 15 minutes away from my job. and since i don't really go anywhere. i always have gas!. and i RARELY see my gas light come on. cause i never go any lower than a half a tank. and i only re-fill it once a month. my car's great on gas. thats why i decided to keep it.
Old 11-04-2006
Registered!!

CIVIC X3 is on a distinguished road
dude its lik wtf...how is everyone gettin 400+...i have a stock car and i only get about 310 wen the E comes on...and how is everyone drivin 60-65? i'm lik drivin 70-75 and everyone here if s.f. 280 is passin me up. i drive normally 80 goin to work and scoo. does it take away that much gas goin 80? i dunt gas it light to light either...shiftin at 3rpm
Old 11-04-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, thats another reason why my gas lasts. i don't go any faster than maybe 70 mph. my car is pretty much stock too. i got a V2 intake but thats about it. i don't know how many miles my car gets on a full tank of gas but i'm sure it's up there. honda's are known for that GREAT gas excellence!. any more gas efficient and my Ex would be a hybrid JUST CRUISE MAN!. NO NEED TO RUSH. 65 to 67 mph is plenty enough. i drive to last.
Old 11-04-2006
Registered!!

i drive 60mph and i get like 340 on a tank
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I usually get 40+ on my 2002 dx 5spd w/ 110,000. I do a lot of highway driving, usually between 60-65 and hardly ever over 70. The light will usually come on at 450 miles. When I first bought the car living in NYC, I got about 30, maybe 33 at the most. Never really hitting 5th gear. Once I moved to Vegas, (the car had 36000 miles), driving everywhere on the freeway, I get 40+. Also, when ever I drive to LA from Vegas, I always get like 34-35. I think it's the combination the mountains and doing 90 in some areas.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, and my record was 570 one tank. I think the last gas pump over filled me slightly for that one. Being the dork, that I am, I always write down how many gallons I fill up and how many miles I have driven, then divide them and get the MPG. I've been doing this since I've had the car 9 months. I like to analyse my driving by the numbers. How did I drive to get better or worse. One thing I noticed was doing the speed limit and not being in a hurry helped me get 40+.
Old 11-27-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
i'm starting to get depressed, I've never seen 40, I get 27-32 or so (with agressive back road driving). With all highway, I recently got 35.xx. I dunno about some people getting 50+, seems a little redic but they got BS called allready. *sigh* I guess thats what happens you live in a city- stop and go all the way home.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Dark_Pyro7 is an unknown quantity at this point
On my em2, i can get up to about 37-40mpg avg per tank with fresh oil. After I have driven about 3000 miles, it dips to 27-30 mpg. So I just do my oil change and i'm good to go again. I'm at 57000 miles right now, on 18s with an extra 60 lbs in the trunk. I try to not drive too crazy, but always a little aggresive.

I have seen 42mpg one time with straight highway driving at about 65-70 entire way with cruise ctrl on.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

estebomb_ftw will become famous soon enough
I feel ya Triz. Stop and go traffic sucks *****.
But when I get on the highway, makes up for it.
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

BiggyQ is an unknown quantity at this point
your gas miliage is related to how you drive the car and the weather conditions. Also whatever they say on those sheets is not always true. The number they show is the gas miliage for the "perfect" condition, which is not always the same.
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
tire pressure is crucial.
I get a little bit over 35mpg every tank. It's pretty constant. I don't drive that easy, and I usually dont let it get under an 1/8 of a tank, so I could get a lot more.
I've squeezed almost 400 out of a tank of gas but I really don't like to.
Also, topping off too much will hurt your gas mileage.

Quick Reply: Where is all my gas going!?!?