drain 1st quart = cleaner?? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2006   #1  
You bought a used dog??

def01tones will become famous soon enough
drain 1st quart = cleaner??

a coworker of mine has a SWEET TT 300ZX, and he says after he drains all of the old oil out, he pours his 1st quart in and just lets it run through the engine and back out. he said that it will get more of the old oil out. what are ur thoughts bout this???
def01tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2  
Registered!!

Hoosier282 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your basically wasting a quart of oil. You might get like a little bit more out then you would just letting it drain normally, but frankly if you just let it drain it is just fine. If you want to clean your oil system out there is a good product called Sea Foam which cleans your system out good. It is worth the buy and you dont have to waste a quart.
Hoosier282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #3  
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
i pour a 1/4 quart to rinse out w/e old oil is left.
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #4  
You bought a used dog??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen
i pour a 1/4 quart to rinse out w/e old oil is left.
u do this with the new oil filter on? old filter on? or no filter?
Old 07-16-2006   #5  
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
i do it with the old filter. idk... it may do nothing, but i put about 3 and 3/4 quarts of oil in my car, so i'd have a 1/4 left over if i didnt use it to wash out the motor.
Rennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #6  
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
I'm guilty of doing this in the past. But now, i just run my engine before i change the oil so that all the crap at the bottom of the oil pan gets suspended and should drain out with the oil.
ctx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #7  
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
this wont do anything...the engine gets lubricated a number of ways, all of which work when the engine is running. dumping a quart of oil in there isnt going to go through the entire block, it'll simply fall, almost vertically back to the pan.
skipbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #8  
You bought a used dog??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipbarber
dumping a quart of oil in there isnt going to go through the entire block, it'll simply fall, almost vertically back to the pan.
thats exactly what i was thinking. i bought an extra quart for nothing...hoe well.
Old 07-17-2006   #9  
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
yup, doesn't do much..... however I do it. Usually the car takes 3.7 quarts or something like that, so I use the 0.3 quarts from the last oil change and dump it in, the first little bit the comes out is black looking, but that about it.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #10  
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I buy 6 packs of Mobil 1 so, so with ever 2 packs I get a free oil change with the 4 left over.
DaddyFatSacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006   #11  
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
he let's it run through the engine? ... like when the engine is running?
aznboysrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #12  
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboysrfr
he let's it run through the engine? ... like when the engine is running?

No, just when he changes the oil, before putting the plug back to fill the engine up, he puts an extra quart through it. The engine is not running or anything... I hope.
Jrfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #13  
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
If he turns the engine on with the oil drain bolt out we will all hunt him down and kill him for his stupidity.

Not nearly as bad as the SR(etarted)T-4 driver who thought green cleaner would be good inside the engine to clean it.
diskreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #14  
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskreet
If he turns the engine on with the oil drain bolt out we will all hunt him down and kill him for his stupidity.

Not nearly as bad as the SR(etarted)T-4 driver who thought green cleaner would be good inside the engine to clean it.
yeah. another srt4 guy who couldn't get his drain bolt out, so he took his oil filter off and started his car to drain out the oil from the filter hole. yup.

that's why I asked.
aznboysrfr is offline   Reply With Quote