Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda MTF or Mobil1 Synthetic

Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Honda MTF or Mobil1 Synthetic

Hey everyone, so here's the question, should I go with regular Honda MTF or Mobil1 synthetic for my manual transmission? Would I notice a difference between the two?

I'll probably change the fluid every year.

So let me hear your suggestions.
Old 06-16-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
I used Redline MTL....Great stuff. Used it in the Civic and have used their gear oils in the transfer case/rear diff of my Talon.
Old 06-16-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Yup... Red Line is good stuff, a bit more costly, but worth it.
Old 06-16-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
Red line
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
I'd also recommend Red Line MTL, great stuff.
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Redline is hard to come by in my area. Plus Im just gonna change it every year.

Oh I forgot to mention its Mobil1 Synthetic motor oil compared to Honda MTF.
Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
mobil
Old 06-17-2006
Registered!!

Then honda mtf no question
Old 06-17-2006

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
sorry... not sure how those stack up agianst eachother

If it was me, I would probably go with Honda, but I have no specific reason to do so other than trust for Honda engineering, which is actually dwindling at the moment.
Old 06-17-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 5W20 mobil 1 full synthetic oil for my 02 civic Ex (manual) THE BEST STUFF! didn't know that Redline made car oil too. I work at a harley davidson dealership and we use Redline for the M/C's. I hear it's good stuff. But Mobil 1 supersyn will do it for me.
Old 06-17-2006
Crawlin Similar To An Ant Low To Da Earth

Nokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura aboutNokturnl has a spectacular aura about
I use Royal Puprle Racing 21....called them and that is the weight they waid use. 1yr so far and no problems. Just my $.02
Old 06-19-2006
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
I like my amsoil mtf
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Redline or BG SuperSlick II

Hey:

I'm going to do my MTL tomorrow, and Redline MTL will go into it yet again. If you change it every year, your tranny will be like butta.

If its not available in your area, just *call redline* in NorCal and they will send you whatever you want factory direct. It was awesome buying a case of 5w20 oil and having the fedex guy cart it right to my door.

Also, I have started hearing some very very good things about BG Products SuperSlick II mtl... If I can find some I'll use it next year, but right now I have just about exactly the right amount of RL left for a change.

Seriously, use the RL and you won't be sorry. If not RL, go with the Honda stuff as the mobil 1 5w20 in your box wont be sticky enough for your synchros to hit properly, and you'll gain a new appreciation for double clutching.

Hope that helps...
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

ashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to beholdashtonp is a splendid one to behold
Go to GM and get their SynchroMesh Friction Modified Tranny Fluid, works really well. My buddy used it in his 00 civic, and my barber uses it in his Accord. Most civic owners in my area use this and love it. Amazing grindage protection. Amsoil is supposed to be good too, its considered a direct replacement for Honda MTF check it out at http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runis...amsoiloaf:index
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

Great to hear all the suggestions, but I think Im gonna go with Honda MTF unless there is a noticable difference with synthetic motor oil.
And I dont want to order from the US cause the duty fee will be almost half the price of the product.

Also, when you change your MTF, do you guys lift the rear of the car as well?
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

unless you measure out exactly 1.6qt in a seaparate container, the car must be level when filling the tranny with fluid. you stop adding fluid when the fill hole overflows, and if the car isnt level, you wont get the correct amount in.
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
^^^ What he said. If you just jack up the front, you'll have not nearly enouh fluid in and thats bad, mmkay.

I dunno if this matters, but if the rear end of the car is up too far, you'll be able to overfill slightly. Don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but its just my .02 that I used 1.7-1.8 quarts (Maybe .2 quarts too much) today and the tranny seems to run fine. Course I did make sure the car was as level as I could and let a little dribble out of the hole before I screwed the bolt back in...

In any case, I talked to a honda dealer guy and he basically said that since honda doesn't put filters in the MT's, change the fluid every year / 12K miles or so as teh car starts to get older. I think thats not such bad advice for teh DIY-er as it takes maybe 45 minutes to do it and you get a lot of peace of mind out of it.
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I think 12 k is a little to soon, sounds like a honda dealership to me.
Old 06-24-2006
Registered!!

EMK20a2 will become famous soon enoughEMK20a2 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ashtonp
Go to GM and get their SynchroMesh Friction Modified Tranny Fluid, works really well. My buddy used it in his 00 civic, and my barber uses it in his Accord. Most civic owners in my area use this and love it. Amazing grindage protection. [/url]
^^^^yep, +1 rep for you for knowing your stuff. I would say the general consensus is that this is the best stuff. It is hard to find and expensive. If you don't know what you are looking for you can get the wrong stuff. It has to be GM Sycromesh FM, it must specify FM on the bottle. Many dealerships honestly have no clue that this stuff exists and will sell you the wrong stuff.
Old 06-24-2006
Registered!!

When your done changing the MTF, do you drive it around a bit and check the MTF levels again?
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DDragon7
When your done changing the MTF, do you drive it around a bit and check the MTF levels again?
I don't, but basically the only way to do that is to jack the car up, unscrew and open the filler hole, and see if the fluid is at the line. Fluid expands as it heats a bit, so you'll possibly get a wrong reading. Plus hot gear oil on your finger. Plus a PITA jacking the car back up again... I usually just trust my levelling of the car and the fact that what looks like 1.5-1.7 qts of fluid is no longer in the bottles.
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I used 10-30 mobil 1 synthetic, but I think I might just get the honda stuff next time. I dont think it really matters to tell you the truth, they say there are additives that make shifting smoother, but I have never had a problem.

I dont think putting too much in would hurt anything at all in the trans, but I may be wrong. I put a little extra in because of the way my garage is, I just could not get the car perfectly level, the rear ended up higher.

The more you change it the better. If you could I would say change it every three oil changes. If I was doing any kind of racing I would do it that often. I am going to do it every 7 months or so.
Old 06-25-2006
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
well ill add a question to this topic. can u get redline at any parts store? or do you need to order it?
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

Red line suppliers really vary. You can order it, or you can search and see what retailers in your area sell it, and which products they sell.

http://www.redlineoil.com/dealers.asp
Old 06-26-2006

Originally Posted by Ashhole
well ill add a question to this topic. can u get redline at any parts store? or do you need to order it?

Generally performance stores carry it. I don't think I've seen at Autozone or anything like that, it's a to much $$$ for the common person to spend on oil.