Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Pennzoil Full Synthetic oil

Was wondering if anyone every tried this. Im probably gonna get some of these tomorrow, since it cheaper then mobil1.

Also, if I get pennzoil full syn. 5w20, its safe to put in .5L of 0w20 mobil1 that I got left, along with the penzoil right?
Old 04-30-2006
J-Dizzle

dirtysouthcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i have never put anything but Valvoline Synpower in my car and they claim 40% better protection for your motor than conventional oils. They do a lot of R&D and to be honest have a Maxlife Synthetic oil that also can prevent leaks by reconditioning your seals. Not trying to be a know it all but this is what i do for a living is change oil and prevenative maintinence.
peace

let me know if i can help you
Old 04-30-2006
Registered!!

LXracer is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend used that in his 96 vic i think and it worked allright but my thought is that if ur goin full syn. the only way to go is PURPLE
Old 04-30-2006
J-Dizzle

dirtysouthcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
royal purple. yeah but as far as i know there is no guarantees on royal purple or redline.
Old 04-30-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
its fine to mix the oils AS LONG as the specs are the same the motor specs that jumble of letters like sj for example if they both have the same then you're golden (at least one has to match and it has to be the one for your engine hehe)
Old 05-01-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by DDragon7
Was wondering if anyone every tried this. Im probably gonna get some of these tomorrow, since it cheaper then mobil1.

Also, if I get pennzoil full syn. 5w20, its safe to put in .5L of 0w20 mobil1 that I got left, along with the penzoil right?

Not a bad oil. The important thing is to find one good oil and stick with it. Beside Mobil 1 has a tendancy to burn in Honda engines for some reason, I had this problem and I know quite few people have mentioned it. Other synthetic seem to be fine. But yeah, Pennzoil synthetic is fine.

Originally Posted by fishingjld
royal purple. yeah but as far as i know there is no guarantees on royal purple or redline.

RP looses its viscosity quickly... Far quicker than any other synthetic oil, not sure why. But I only reccomend RP for race engines. Red Line seems to hold better for longer drain intervals.

Last edited by Jrfish007; 05-01-2006 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-01-2006
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
royal purple is one of the "worser" synthetics you can buy. for the price they charge, you can get far better oil.

that said, pennzoil, mobil 1, valvoline synthetics, etc, all are decent. Valvoline has a high tbn and will give you the longest drain interval as it sustains that TBN very well.

if you're using synthetic, I hope you're waiting 10,000 miles between oil changes. if my S2000 can go 10k on valvoline synpower no problem (with UOAs that tell me there is STILL oil life left!) then your car can.

also, while you can mix oils, you should try to keep the same weight among the oils you use. though .5 liter of a 0w20 vs a 5w20 should be ok.

i have never put anything but Valvoline Synpower in my car and they claim 40% better protection for your motor than conventional oils.
of course they say that. it's their oil.

please read the sticky at the top of this forum. all of these questions are answered there by a true expert, and a greatly known engineer.

edit: the links are temporarily down, but what i said above is the gist of it.
Old 05-01-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Oh, I didnt know realize there was a sticky about oil at the top, but thanks for the heads up and answering my questions.

Last edited by DDragon7; 05-01-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2006
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
I've used both full syn Pennzoil and Mobil 1 in Hondas and Subarus... didn't notice a difference between them. Looked the same going in and coming out. Haven't had any complaints about either.
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

Thats good to hear.
Old 05-02-2006
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
you can mix the oils even if their specs are different. pennzoil synth is a very good oil.
Old 05-03-2006
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
yeah after further reading ctx66 is correct. but something else i found, is that you should mix oils from the same company.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/index....owtopic=189631

10w-30 + 20w-50 = 15w-40. multi weights are compatible. As a matter of fact, synthetics are compatible with conventional oil.

"the viscosities sum and then divide by total number of quarts = effective viscosity.

I do not recommend mixing oils from different companies, unless you are adding one quart of syn to a minoil fill to get a synblend. Even then, probably better to mix the same company's min and syn."

Last edited by S2000man01; 05-03-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

even mixing different brands is ok. motor oil is motor oil.

a quick summary.

around 80% of motor oil is a made from a base oil, ranging from group II to group V. companies regularly different groups of base oils to create a finished product. the remaining 20% of oil is an additive package.

all motor oils across the board are the same in that they are mostly a base oil, and an additive package. the only thing that really is different between companies is the base oil mixture, and the amount of additives in the additive package. so there is nothing wrong with mixing different companies, they are fully compatable with each other.
Old 05-03-2006
Registered!!

Anyways, I changed my oil yesterday, with about 850mL of 0w20 mobil1 and about 2.6L of 5w20 pennzoil full syn. The car ran smooth, so, so far so good.
Old 05-03-2006
O RLY

Originally Posted by ctx66
no. please read what I posted above. while it's obvious you have some knowledge, pardon if I pause at taking your word over that of a chemical engineer and tribologist of 30+ years who's entire life is nothing but oil.

in fact, the reason you should try to keep to the same brand, you even stated below. different addative packages and different base oil mixtures, since it varies between brands. while this isn't going to "blow up" your engine, there is obviously some reason NOT to do this, otherwise he'd have the same lacadaisical attitude about it you have. but he doesn't. if it's about oil, and he speaks it, chances are you can take it as face value period.

in case you need reiteration, this is what he stated:

I do not recommend mixing oils from different companies, unless you are adding one quart of syn to a minoil fill to get a synblend. Even then, probably better to mix the same company's min and syn.

around 80% of motor oil is a made from a base oil, ranging from group II to group V. companies regularly different groups of base oils to create a finished product. the remaining 20% of oil is an additive package.

all motor oils across the board are the same in that they are mostly a base oil, and an additive package. the only thing that really is different between companies is the base oil mixture, and the amount of additives in the additive package. so there is nothing wrong with mixing different companies, they are fully compatable with each other.
so you've proven Road Rage's point quite nicely, that is to stick with oils of the same brand.

Last edited by S2000man01; 05-03-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2006

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all

a quick summary.

So you are saying all the addatives are compatible? I don't think so, infact they are often far from compatible. This is actually very simliar to blood, you and I both have red blood cells, white blood cells blah blah blah... But I am O- and you probably are not, so your blood is not compatible to mine, put your blood in me, I die. It's the additive like anti-foaming agents versus antiwear agents. The ratio of these two things interacts with the anti-oxidation additives, it's rather complex, and if you go throughing defferent additive packages together, you never know what could happen, it's the whole point to that Lucas oil treatment on bobistheoilguy.com.

Point is these companies are spending millions to devolpe and produce additive packages, the additives are much more sensitive to varition than you are thinking. To think that every oil company has the same stuff and that they are interchangable just isn't the case. Multi-billion dollar companies are built around finding these additives and making them work in perfect harmony with each other, they aren't a mix and match game.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

been having troubles logging in, finally i got in and..

im talking an apples to apples comparison, mixing automotive motor oil. mixing motor oils with additives like lucas products is a whole different story. all additives in motor oils are completely compatable. you said you browse bobistheoilguy, look at all the members on there who make their own brews, and none of them have any problems. if you still dont believe me, make a thread asking if any harm can come from mixing different types of motor oils. synthetic, dino, blend, GF grades, api service categories, weights, etc.

i think youve put too much thought into the lucas oil video, mixing motor oils just isnt the same thing. when you add concentrated additives to motor oils, bad **** can happen. because the base oil isnt designed to handle that kind of concentration of additives. however, when mixing motor oils, you do not run into this problem because each and every motor oil has a perfect balance of additives and base oil, so you dont get that extra high concentration which can cause problems.
Old 05-12-2006

been having troubles logging in, finally i got in and..

im talking an apples to apples comparison, mixing automotive motor oil. mixing motor oils with additives like lucas products is a whole different story. all additives in motor oils are completely compatable. you said you browse bobistheoilguy, look at all the members on there who make their own brews, and none of them have any problems. if you still dont believe me, make a thread asking if any harm can come from mixing different types of motor oils. synthetic, dino, blend, GF grades, api service categories, weights, etc.

i think youve put too much thought into the lucas oil video, mixing motor oils just isnt the same thing. when you add concentrated additives to motor oils, bad **** can happen. because the base oil isnt designed to handle that kind of concentration of additives. however, when mixing motor oils, you do not run into this problem because each and every motor oil has a perfect balance of additives and base oil, so you dont get that extra high concentration which can cause problems.
Well, I think some mixing is okay, but generally when I see people mixing, they are mixxing the same brands, just like synthetic and dino. Or once in a while you see some one toss something in because of an additive like moly, maybe they use some Valvoline Max Life or something with their dino oil to help with moly count. I actually have problems with that Lucas video, I think they added to much addative anyway, but that's a different topic... Anyway, a little mixing is fine, but to use say 50% Red Line and 50% Wal-Mart special, I don't think is a good idea. I don't think you engine will die, I just don't see why people would buy highend oil and water it down with crap oil... Just my .02
Old 05-12-2006
O RLY

30+ year chemical engineer and tribologist (do you need to google what a tribologist is?) who's entire career has been nothing but automotive oil says:

"if you mix oils, mix oils of the same brand as some addatives between the companies are incompatible"

Guess who I'm going to listen to. kthxbye

Unless of course you can provide credentials showing you know more about automotive oil than he does.

Dont mix oils from different manufacturers. the addin packs and addatives can be incompatible, causing the oil not to protect properly.