poll: what oil filter do you use? - Page 9 - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

View Poll Results: what oil filter do you use
Honda OEM 223 36.68%
Mobil 1 96 15.79%
Fram 174 28.62%
Bosch 18 2.96%
K&N 82 13.49%
STP 15 2.47%
Voters: 608. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2009   #241
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: poll: what oil filter do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
so youre saying 92-94% filtration is good? which fram even puts on the box? when other filters the same price maybe $4 (purolator pure one) filters 99.9%?? i would never use a fram even if it cost $10 cheaper and risk a messed engine.

And you forgot to mention what micron that is for... Ofcrouse you the Pure One is 99% that's at 40 Micron. The Fram Extended Guard is 97% at > 20 Micron, which could mean 21 or 30. To give you an idea. 70 Micron is a human hair. There's a 20 micron difference between the 2. If they both use the same micron for testing i'm sure it would be very close, about less than00001% difference. Hell I can build my own filter made out of computer paper and call it 100% but that's at probably 300 micron, does that mean you would use it because it's 100%? Percentage means nothing unless they use the same micron rating for testing.
Silver02EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #242
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats why i use K&N
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009   #243
Registered!!

mf150 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use K&N filters, too.
mf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010   #244
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

I use k&n the most but if not that i use OEM. Never ever use that fram piece of crap it is known to mess up things.
02civicsi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #245
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02civicsi02 View Post
I use k&n the most but if not that i use OEM. Never ever use that fram piece of crap it is known to mess up things.
Ok you said you use OEM but say you don't use Fram because it's a piece of crap? The OEM is made by Fram/Honeywell.

Silver02EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #246
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

i dont understand why people are still argueing this topic.

FRAM's X2 oil filters are great. they filter down to 10 micros.

Purolator Pure One filter and mobile 1's oil filters are amount the top two. with great filtration thats PROVEN.

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fil...tml#OilFilters

read that n that should end this discussion.

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 02-07-2010 at 05:08 PM.
sl33pyriceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010   #247
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

I have been using fram since i got the car back in 04-05 never once had any issues. Still running strong @ 135k miles
MidnightCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010   #248
Registered!!

cchiang12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the Fram tough guard.
But, if Mobil 1 filter is on sale, I grab them
cchiang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010   #249
Registered!!

NORMAN2001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Castrol GTX oil and fram filter 170,000 and still going strong
NORMAN2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010   #250
Registered!!

dragin will become famous soon enoughdragin will become famous soon enough

mobil 1 or royal purple for me
dragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010   #251
Registered!!

JxC1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

K&N with Synpower Full synthetic
JxC1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #252
Registered!!

matt1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Purolator PureOne filters (and an occasional Mobil 1 filter when they're on sale) along with Mobil 1 oil.
matt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010   #253
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

most people dont realize that we swap out filters so often (every oil change) that it almost doesnt matter. as long as you get a good oil filter (mobil1, fram, purolator) it will be ok.
sl33pyriceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010   #254
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ People are so **** about what type of oil to use and what type of filter for no reason. I never hear of engine failures from oil or filter brand. Usually oil related failures (engine seizure, premature wear) are caused by other factors (lack of oil or pump failure). In other words, exactly what you said. I just wanted to reinforce it because people drive me insane on here with their "My oil and filter is better than your oil and filter" bullshit. I used to use Fram but I've moved on the Wix because they are not only cheaper but a better quality filter, not that it matters. Buy whatever brand name happens to be on sale and I'm sure you will NEVER suffer any kind of negative effects. End Rant.

Wow, I just bumped a 4 week old thread... but it was worth it
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010   #255
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've got a few Hamp filters lying around I'm trying to use up. I'll probably switch over to the Mobil 1 ones though. AutoZone has a special that I guess goes on every few months. 5 qts of 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 filter for like 30 bucks. Either that or the K&N ones as a very close 2nd.
MelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010   #256
Registered!!

WaryDriver is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do y'all get your Honda OEM oil filters?
WaryDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #257
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Just go to the dealer. You could get them online, but you'd probably eat it in shipping. I guess people knock them because they are just rebadged Fram filters. I personally don't know. But I mean if you're just driving your car from point A to point B, I don't see what harm it would do. I know tons of people who use Fram filters and haven't had an issue with them.
Old 09-03-2010   #258
Banned

stigmata is an unknown quantity at this point

Never never fram. Very cheaply made. bad anti drainback valve design causes valves to tick.
stigmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010   #259
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelJ View Post
I've got a few Hamp filters lying around I'm trying to use up. I'll probably switch over to the Mobil 1 ones though. AutoZone has a special that I guess goes on every few months. 5 qts of 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 filter for like 30 bucks. Either that or the K&N ones as a very close 2nd.
K&N is definitely NOT a second to anyone.
Old 09-03-2010   #260
Trance Addict

Ok.....
Old 09-04-2010   #261
Registered!!

Justinsn95 is an unknown quantity at this point

Royal purple makes some of the best oil filters money can buy.
Justinsn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #262
Registered!!

Vman455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by stigmata View Post
K&N is definitely NOT a second to anyone.
K&N and Mobil1 oil filters are the same design, manufactured by Champion. Only difference is the nut on the end and the paint.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
Vman455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #263
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Being from the same manufacture does not automatically mean of equal quality.
pon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #264
Registered!!

Vman455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pon55 View Post
Being from the same manufacture does not automatically mean of equal quality.
True, but in this case it appears to be the same design, materials, and construction, from the same manufacturer. They're around the same price too.
Vman455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #265
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi View Post
i dont understand why people are still argueing this topic.

FRAM's X2 oil filters are great. they filter down to 10 micros.

Purolator Pure One filter and mobile 1's oil filters are amount the top two. with great filtration thats PROVEN.

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fil...tml#OilFilters

read that n that should end this discussion.
Micron rating is not as important as you think. I have a Moroso filter on my drag car. No, it's not a Civic.
Quote:
After many years of designing and testing racing oil systems and related components, we've collected a great deal of information to determine what's most important to oil filtration. Our conclusion was Total Filtration Time!

Many filter manufacturers stress the importance of filtering some of the smallest particles known to man out of your engine's oil. You've probably seen or heard them talk about "micron ratings" of 10 or less when talking about a filter's efficiency. (One micron is one-millionth of a meter and a "micron rating" of 10 means that the filter will remove particles as small as 10 millionths of a meter.)

Moroso engineers have determined, with the help of research performed by filtration technology experts, that particles smaller than 20 microns in diameter are not large enough to produce engine wear. Furthermore, Moroso engineers have also found that filters with extremely low micron ratings create an excessive pressure drop across the filter. They can be so restrictive that the filter by-pass valve can open. And with the by-pass valve open, NO FILTRATION occurs, and you have no way of knowing!
Old 10-25-2010   #266
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

Hmm this is interesting, Never heard anything bad about Fram filters before, but I might try Mobil1 instead. Never had a problem though with Fram, used it all along, sitting at 119K miles. I think its more how often you change oil, than arguing about filters. Just sayin.
kyle_l88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #267
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

stigmata is right, in fact im sure most engines will still run fine without a filter so long as you change the oil often enough, use a good air filter, and put some additive in the oil (lc20). even after 8 months i feel bad changing the oil and filter when its almost new looking and there is nothing when i pull the filter apart. no visible particles. and even my magentic drain plug only has a thin film of metal dust, hardly anything to cause engine wear. everyone is so worried about their engines when in real life, the engine is one of the last things to fail even on really old cars. you would almost replace every part on the car before the engine goes.

too much filtration can cause issues, which is why i stopped using the pureOne micron filters.

Last edited by gearbox; 10-26-2010 at 03:07 AM.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #268
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

And then there was my neighbor who drove his 7thgen for 150,000 miles with out an oil or filter change. He sold it and it's still running.
pon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #269
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

I'm a bit late in the game but I use Fram and change my oil more often than required. It's no biggie.
Nosepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #270
Registered!!

kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
stigmata is right, in fact im sure most engines will still run fine without a filter so long as you change the oil often enough, use a good air filter, and put some additive in the oil (lc20). even after 8 months i feel bad changing the oil and filter when its almost new looking and there is nothing when i pull the filter apart. no visible particles. and even my magentic drain plug only has a thin film of metal dust, hardly anything to cause engine wear. everyone is so worried about their engines when in real life, the engine is one of the last things to fail even on really old cars. you would almost replace every part on the car before the engine goes.

too much filtration can cause issues, which is why i stopped using the pureOne micron filters.
I have never used any additive before? Where can I get some of that? And I agree, the engine is usually last to go. Every car I've had has something go wrong such as tie rods, struts, stuff like that that isnt worth fixing when the car isnt worth as much as the parts you need to put into it
kyle_l88 is offline   Reply With Quote