Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

89 0ctane vs 87 octane...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by rhcp0801
i thought shell had good gas, i heard that BP is the best place to go for gas, its also really expensive, so is shell for some reason

Shell and BP both oxidize their gas. In other word they put O2 in with the gas, something like around 5%. So when you purschase a gallon of gas from them, you are actually getting 0.95 gallon of gas and 0.05 gallons of liquified O2, and you get O2 for free, so why pay for it?

Shell also has a name because they used to use this "special" addative (aka methanol) that helps eat carbon build up and burn cleaner. The problem is that it also eats you gas lines and seals in the fuel pump too. Needless to say, methanol has been taken out of all the gas being sold in the US and now shell just uses Techron, and believe me, it's not in any amount that will make a difference, it's just marketing.

Really, what makes the LARGEST difference in gas, is the owners of the station. Each pump has a filter that needs to be changed after so many gallons. Way to many owners just skip out on changing these filters because they are costly, cuts into profits. I made good friends with one of the local Citgo owners (my dad has known him for about 20 years) and found that he actually changes the filters before they are due, so I make every effort to purschase gas from there.

I personally use Marathon or Citgo, not because they have good gas, but because they get their crude oil from NON-OPEC nations only, it a political statement