Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hessdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
next change

hey
been busy with a car getting ready for CES in jan. drained all the oil out and filled with 3 qts. dip stick was in in the middle of 2 dots. went to start and it would turn over but no start. pulled the air box smelled fuel. pulled sparkplugs and they were covered in oil. cleaned in reinstalled(will replace). started it and some blue smoke from burning oil in the cy l. o well lesson learned
Old 12-21-2005
Registered!!

Blackpearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Huh....Hope is ok now.
Old 12-22-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
humm... oil blew past the valves, should be okay, just make sure the car isn't eating oil for the next few weeks/months.
Old 12-22-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
I just put in 4 quarts in my EX, the VTEC likes a little more oil I think. I use Mobil 1, I get it at Costco.
Old 12-23-2005
Registered!!

Well.... Normaly you need 3.7 quarts. Try to not go past the max!
I don't know if the min and max indicator on oil deepstick is for low temperature or for the engine operation temperature. Somebody know? This is also good to keep in mind!
Old 12-23-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
you can check oil @all temps...its tranny that needs to be warm and shifted through all gears then shut off and checked.......
Old 12-24-2005
Registered!!

liliechen is an unknown quantity at this point
You can always use a suction bottle to get the extra oil out, if you don't want to drain the new oil...
Old 12-27-2005
Registered!!

I just have the 70000 mi service at a Honda dealer. In the aperwork they specified: 5-20 CHEV Oil.
I gues is a Chevron oil. So what is special about "honda oil"? Is realy a Honda Motor Oil or is just a myth? Is the honda motro oil made by Chevron? I don't whant to go too far with other expressiond like: use Honda .....
Any comments?
Old 12-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
usually they have a bulk container of oil could be anything. my old dealer says it was castrol. but yes there is an oil bottled with the honda graphics and everything.
Old 12-28-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Blackpearl
I just have the 70000 mi service at a Honda dealer. In the aperwork they specified: 5-20 CHEV Oil.
I gues is a Chevron oil. So what is special about "honda oil"? Is realy a Honda Motor Oil or is just a myth? Is the honda motro oil made by Chevron? I don't whant to go too far with other expressiond like: use Honda .....
Any comments?

Well, I'm going to guess Honda doesn't make any oil. But, they can make certian things about the oil specific to their cars. For instance, if you look at the filter, it says Fram. So everybody instantly think Honda's filters are just rebadged Frams. This is not the case though, Honda actually had Fram put about twice as many pleets in the Honda filter than the Fram filter you go buy at Walmart. My point is that it may have some special properties specific for Honda's, even if it is made by someone else.

The real question is how special are these properties? That I really don't know. Here's what I do know, Honda oil is a synthetic blend oil and the TBN on it last about 4,500-5,000 miles before dropping. This is the typical range of any normal blend oil. I personally just use a normal dino oil and go about 4,000 miles on that, I plan on doing a oil analysis on my '06 civic with Valvoline (just the normal stuff) once I get to the proper milage.
Old 12-29-2005
Registered!!

THX for info. Probably this is the case. My doupt was that the honda dealers are independent companies and they are not in a chain. I try to obtain the service history for my car I brought used, but the dealers are not connected so they dont know the history. This was one of the reason to think, maybe each dealer try to buy bulk oil or other stuf from where is cheaper and honda fixes just some standards. Or I am wrong.
I did the change at the dealer because of the miserable weathe (+ service time). I have a Mobil 1 Clean 5000 (5W-20) ready for the next oil change, what I will do by myself.