Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

AEM's New DryFlow Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DelSolid is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM's New DryFlow Air filter

I have not seen anything about this on the site. AEM originally developed this new filter for off road racers who needed extreme dust protection and high flow. Now it is available as a replacement filter and will soon be used in all AEM kits. I know there was some discussion here about filter efficiency and oil from the filter fouling the MAF sensor (the new Si has a MAF).

The dryflow filter is a non oiled filter with much higher efficiency than the typical oiled filter.

More info and independant tests here ==> http://trucks.aempower.com/

Discussions? Comments?
Old 09-30-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
hummmmmm.... looks interesting. After all these years, someone finally came up with a polyester filter that doesn't go bad. To bad it's limited in the application.

Sounds good though
Old 09-30-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
why would it be limited to one application... you can use it to..
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Right now it is shipping with the Brute Force (truck/V8) apps and is also available in many sizes as a replacement filter. It will very soon be replacing the oiled filter in all AEM kits.

I have the P/N's here for the 9" long filters. I know there are shorter ones available, I'll have to look for those P/N's.

21-2019D, 2.50" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2029D, 2.75" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2039D, 3.00" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2109D, 3.25" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2049D, 3.50" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2059D, 4.00" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2069D, 4.50" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2079D, 5.00" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2089D, 5.50" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT
21-2099D, 6.00" Inlet DRYFLOW AIR FILTER. Short Neck 9'' ELEMENT

List on all is $60.94 each but I would expect street price to be about $45 ea.

Last edited by DelSolid; 09-30-2005 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2005
The Beez Kneez

acidbaby will become famous soon enoughacidbaby will become famous soon enough
good i hate reoiling my filters... i have 2 just so i dont have to do it all the time!
it never quite seems to work right' or get clean enough..
Old 09-30-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Well, I have a truck with the big V8, but I can't see spending $400 some dollars on an intake, even if ebay sells it for $280
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

$400

who sells intakes for $400
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
garbage. if you want good "dry" filter, get the apexi power intake. Same idea but its already been proven to outfilter most other brands.

Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
garbage. if you want good "dry" filter, get the apexi power intake. Same idea but its already been proven to outfilter most other brands.

Gearbox, I dont know where you get this but you are mistaken.

1st, it's similar but not the same. The Apexi cannot be cleaned. Use once and throw away. Thats nice. It's a $80 air filter that you throw away...

2nd, The Apexi filter element is felt based, the AEM is Synthetic.

3rd, The Apexi filter is almost twice as much as the AEM.

4th, The AEM was independantly tested at over 98% efficient ==> http://trucks.aempower.com/dryflow/S...andcleaned.pdf

5th, when compared to Injen, K&N, & AirRaid by an independant lab, it blew them away ==> http://trucks.aempower.com/dryflow/S...iraid9inch.pdf

Gearbox, Can you produce the data that shows Apexi to be "proven to outfilter most other brands." ??

Last edited by DelSolid; 09-30-2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
meh its something. also the apex is supposed to be rated as lifetime filter. Doesn't need cleaning.

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

hmm not bad. maybe i'll get an aem then
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

i'm just not very confident in aem anymore after trying their sri, pulleys, and older cam gear. They were all comparable to generic ebay quality.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Well, I simply dont believe that it is a lifetime filter. Nor does Apexi......

"The Power Intake is basically maintenance free. Filter replacement, when necessary, can be done at a very low cost." quoted from the apexi-usa website.

I guess "maintenence free" is a euphamism for "throw it away and buy another!!!" And I don't know about you, but $80 for an air filter is not "very low cost" !!!

Also, I disagree about the quality but we could argue about that all day long so we should not bother going there.

The one thing I always stress is independant, 3rd parts testing using a repeatable standard. You have to agree that the AEM tests linked to above are pretty compelling evidence of the filters capabilities. And I dont think that any reasonable person could question the lab which performed them or the methods they used. They were quite a bit more scientific than a guy duct taping an air filter to a vacuum and shaking dust over it.

Last edited by DelSolid; 09-30-2005 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

yup those are nice test results for sure. But are these filters gonna be made universal? Cause I'd replace my K&N after seeing those results. They perform just like stock paper.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

That was the whole point in making them. Give the efficiency of a paper filter, the flow of a large cone and the reusability of the oiled style.

* The initial & cumulative efficiency exceeds the OEM requirements where the K&N style does not even meet it.
* The flow capacity is comparable to the same size circular oiled filter
* The reusability exceeds that of the oiled cotton style, which degrades with each cleaning.
* The cost is the same as the existing AEM replacement filters. (comparable to K&N, Injen etc...)
* No "dented up" steel mesh air filter bodies anymore

I have not seen anything released yet for the replacement short filters but I know they are already in production trying to get ahead of the ball and will be made widely available as replacement filters. There will no doubt be a big deal made of them at SEMA so I'll bet that after the show they will go on B/O for a while to catch up.

Check with dezod or any other AEM dealer who supports this site. I'm sure they can get them soon, if not already.

Last edited by DelSolid; 09-30-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-30-2005
Premium Member

so do you clean it or just throw away after a while?
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

You can clean it over and over. One of the test results posted on the AEM site was the filter efficiency when new versus when cleaned.

Also, on the AEM site (in the truck/V8 area), there is a video of how to clean it (it's obvious) and how heat resistant it is.

http://trucks.aempower.com/
Old 10-01-2005

Originally Posted by DelSolid
$400

who sells intakes for $400

That was the cost from AEM, I found it on ebay for $280. Check it out I have an '05 5.4L in an F150, the brute force intake is about $400 off the AEM website and there is no drop in replacement.

http://trucks.aempower.com/product_intake_app.asp second one down.
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
That was the cost from AEM, I found it on ebay for $280. Check it out I have an '05 5.4L in an F150, the brute force intake is about $400 off the AEM website and there is no drop in replacement.

http://trucks.aempower.com/product_intake_app.asp second one down.
Ohhhhh, Thats the MSRP.

wow, $400. Thats alot of $. Good thing nobody sells it for that.
Old 10-01-2005

yeah... $280 is still to much IMO. It's not exactly like I'm lacking power
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
wow...i didn't know the apexi was "uncleanable" and would just get tossed. has anyone tried to clean one. i almost bought one a few months ago, glad i didn't...
Old 10-01-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic-king
wow...i didn't know the apexi was "uncleanable" and would just get tossed. has anyone tried to clean one. i almost bought one a few months ago, glad i didn't...
Just a FYI, Here is the link to the APEXi website page: the easy replacement part is at the bottom:
http://apexi-usa.com/product_suction...=166&pageNum=1

The element is felt based so while I am sure you could "clean" it, the real question is what the water/cleaning does to the weave and how well it filters after the cleaning. I ASSume that it does not work or APEXi would advertise it as cleanable but instead they specifically tell you to throw it away.

Not only is the AEM cleanable, but they provide independant test validation of the filters efficiency both before and after cleaning.

Last edited by DelSolid; 10-01-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

civic-king is an unknown quantity at this point
humm.....maybe when you buy it, you join some kind of "filter club" where you show your membership card, and get a new filter for cheap! (Hehe) maybe you could use compressed air, and blow dibris out of filter from the inside??? i don't know. i've never met anyone with one of these....
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civic-king
...maybe you could use compressed air, and blow dibris out of filter from the inside???
I dont know about the filter club But, I do know that you should never blow them out from inside. You should not do it with the oiled K&N style filters (i.e. AEM, injen, AFE etc...) either. The high pressure air actually destroys the weave in the filter element, making the filter essentailly useless. It may still look ok to a casual observer but the filtering efficiency gets totally destroyed.