Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mooncake2 is an unknown quantity at this point
K&N Air Filter

Guys

Has anyone tried using a drop-in K&N Air Filter? Any performance increase that justifies the price?

I'm thinking of dropping in one of those for my 2004 1.7 Civic.

Appreciate your feedback.
Old 05-10-2005
got banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic02ex is an unknown quantity at this point
I have one in my 2002 civic. I spent like $20 on the internet for it......but I had just bought the car along with the filter so I never really knew how the car picked up without it......but I did notice a small difference in the pickup, unless it was my imagination. I'm just glad to have it.....all the advantages of having it makes me happy knowing I have something to give more air flow for it.

In my previous car, I had an intake and hated it as I would constanly be cleaning and oiling the cone filter.....forget that.
Old 05-10-2005
Registered!!

mooncake2 is an unknown quantity at this point
But aren't the K&N drop in filter need to be washed and oil periodically as well?

Is it true that there is noticable dust in the throttle body as a result of using K&N filter coz it allows more air + particles into the engine?
Old 05-10-2005
Premium Member

jcem will become famous soon enoughjcem will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mooncake2
But aren't the K&N drop in filter need to be washed and oil periodically as well?
Is it true that there is noticable dust in the throttle body as a result of using K&N filter coz it allows more air + particles into the engine?
I've had the K&N panels on 3 cars (my old Grand Am, my wife's Vibe and my Civic). I've never noticed any dirt past the filter.
They say to clean them every 50000 miles or sooner if you drive in dusty conditions, but I think everywhere counts as dusty conditions, so just check it once in a while. I don't put a lot of mileage on my car, so I just clean mine every couple of years.

BTW - no real performance gain any any of the cars, except for the shitty Grand am, but better gas milage
Old 05-13-2005
Registered!!

EM2jdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mooncake2

i have a aem filter and i live in a dusty condition and i only clean it every 6-8 months and it is just fine, dust in the throttle body should be none to minimal most of the dust get stuck on the piping or airbox
Old 05-14-2005
Registered!!

Cyberkinetic is an unknown quantity at this point
The K&N drop in filter is good because it doesn't need replacing, you can just wash it with the K&N cleaner. However if you want a little more performance, or just a nicer sounding engine, get an short ram or cold air intake.
Old 05-14-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
the drop in filters dont get as dirty as the cone style ones because its not in the wide open area. drop in filters would probably need to be cleaned every 100k miles.

the cone style ones would need to see cleaning 30k miles or so.

the drop in filter doesnt dramatically increase power, you can maybe expect a 1hp gain as more flow goes thru the K&N instead of the factory one but many have argued the OEM filter works best to prevent particles comming into your engine.

OEM = less flow thru filter, blocks more unwanted particles
K&N = better air flow, more particles are more likely to sneak thru

i would go for the K&N, if the drop in filter doesnt get so dirty, i doubt you could harm the engine enough to know by using a K&N drop in. take a good look at the OEM air box, its stretches all the way to the left side of the vehicle to the TB.
Old 05-14-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
If you use K&N, don't clean it for at least 50k miles. They work better when dirty to filter the air.
Old 05-16-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
^that is true and applys to the K&N cone filters as well. pretty much any filter that K&N makes.

but i would expect the cone style filters to see more dirt transporting thru than the drop in as its guarded with a huge resonator and long lengths of piping.
Old 05-16-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
the long pipes really don't matter actually. I've looked and there is no dust at all in there. It all goes to the filter.
Old 05-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AntiLoop will become famous soon enough
I bought one... no regrets so far... I did not notice any power increase or sound difference. But I think I did get better gas milage...
Old 05-20-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
There is no performance difference, and listen to gearbox - don't reoil it just because you think it looks dirty. A major source of problems with K&N filters are when people who don't quite know how to clean them use too much oil on the filter and it gets sucked into the TB, creating quite a mess.