Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

don't use premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005
I just burnt my tongue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
i dunno if this has been said before cuz im too lazy to read all 12 pages...but...the reason that u shouldnt use premium gas is cuz the higher the octane the harder it is to burn the fuel...in high compression engines it requires premium because 87 octane will usually cause pre-ignition and detonation without the spark plug setting the air fuel mixture off...thats why we go to higher octane fuels because it is that much harder to burn so at high temps of the high compression engine it will not pre-ignite or detonate without the spark plug setting it off...the lower compression engines should use 87 because there is not as much heat produced during the compression cycle so premium is harder to burn even with a spark and because of that excess hydrocarbons are left...only when boosted should one use premium because ur increasing the compression a hell of a lot
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Huh? what is the Acura EL, as far as I know no Acura uses a civic EX engine, infact the civics are the only SOHC engine Honda makes to my limited knowledge.

exactly, this is my question.

It has EX engine but the manuel suggest the car uses primuim. Why would Honda suggest something which woud really going to hurt the reliability.

Is it true that whatever gas you use won't really affect the D17 SOHC in Honda engineer's point of view? therefore they can suggest primium on EL purely for marketing reason?
Old 06-12-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
^^ Wow, you guys are taking this to a whole new level.
Old 06-12-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
you guys the bottom line is this: unless you have a hi compression motor (most found on sportscars and other HI performance vehicles), just use regular 87. The acura rsx type-s actually calls for 89 because of this. If you turbo the car, octane also has to go up to prevent knocking. Using higher octane on a measly civic will cause more carbon to build up, and in time will cause hp loss.
Old 06-12-2005
AKA Mr. 60ft. Not to be confused with Civic_Redline

Redline04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I'm sticking with 93, only because I'll be spraying soon
Old 06-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by orion_squall
exactly, this is my question.

It has EX engine but the manuel suggest the car uses primuim. Why would Honda suggest something which woud really going to hurt the reliability.

Is it true that whatever gas you use won't really affect the D17 SOHC in Honda engineer's point of view? therefore they can suggest primium on EL purely for marketing reason?

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/...s?ModelName=EL

If you scroll down about 1/3 of the way it says to use regular unleaded, aka 87 octane. If indeed the manual really says to use premium and I owned this car, I would call up Acura and ask wtf? But I'm guessing ti was a typo in the manual.
Old 06-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by gearbox
you guys the bottom line is this: unless you have a hi compression motor (most found on sportscars and other HI performance vehicles), just use regular 87. The acura rsx type-s actually calls for 89 because of this. If you turbo the car, octane also has to go up to prevent knocking. Using higher octane on a measly civic will cause more carbon to build up, and in time will cause hp loss.

Exactly, although you may want to add anouther reason to use higher octane is for high revving engines.

But the most important reason for not using it is cost, at least for me, why spend more money on something than you need to? And when I first got my civic, I used 93 octane, then after a few months I switched over and to 87 and found I got about 3-4 MPG better milage.
Old 06-13-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
i got around 42 mpg with 89 so I guess I'll stick with that due to slightly higher compression. 93 just ran horribly, I think cause its such a big jump.
Old 06-13-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
ok the acura el or whatever the crap it is is the same as an ex civic. d172a. the manual says 86. i tried premium and my car got the crappiest mileage. with regular its 40mpg. 86. try it out. if it knocks, which it shouldn't then go back to premium
Old 06-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
not sure if i mentioned in this thread but i tested 76's gasoline 87 vs 91 on the automatic civic (intake/catless).

idk if it was my mind, but the 91 "felt" smoother and ran more fine than the 87. but then i notice a drop of gas mileage using 91. 87 yielded in better gas mileage overall.

til this day, i have been filling up with 87 and 89 once every other week.
Old 06-13-2005
Se7enCyrus Racing/Motorsports

SevenCyrus will become famous soon enoughSevenCyrus will become famous soon enough
Old 11-24-2006
Registered!!

nyyanks81 will become famous soon enoughnyyanks81 will become famous soon enough
Today I went to a full service Shell and the attendant filled up my Civic with premium (I asked for regular & really wasn't paying attention to the pump). I do not fill up with premium, only regular but I noticed after I drove off and looked at the receipt and saw the attendant actually filled up with PREM . It was 6.4 gallons of premium. This is this first time premium was put in the tank. Will this 6.4 gallon fill up with premium cause any damage?
Old 11-24-2006
Premium Member

no it shouldn't just dont make a habit of it. most of the damage is from long term usage.
Old 11-24-2006
Banned

SLO REX the 2nd is an unknown quantity at this point
I am forced to pay out the *** for gas. Damn turbos
Old 11-24-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Wow! Old thread.

Well, I'm putting this to rest using a scangauge. We'll see how different octane affects mileage.
Old 11-24-2006
Registered!!

SOAD is on a distinguished road
i hope i dont see a post saying "yea i use premium gas all the time and i can feel a difference in hp!!"
Old 11-24-2006
Registered!!

Johnold is an unknown quantity at this point
i use premium gas for my Ex and it's fine. though, i'm not feeling any difference in HP. not that i was looking for anykind of difference. i've been using premium gas for more than a year now and my car is fine.
Old 11-24-2006
Premium Member

long term effects, injector failure and extra carbon buildup in the engine. its your car. read the manual and use regular 87. you dont have a hi compression motor, therefore you do not need premium. all it does is make the car work harder and not burn all the gas.
Old 11-24-2006
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
Why spend money to get absolutely NO benefit? It’s pretty much like throwing it out of your window. If you need to spend the money you can PayPal me a couple bucks every fill up. Save the premium for cars that are designed to run on it and need it...
Old 11-24-2006
Registered!!

well, wouldn't it be too late now for me to stop?. it's been like a year and a half or so that i've been having constant 93 premium gas in my car. is my car going to take a dump on me as soon as i put the 87 regular gas back in it after the premium's been running in it for so long? i mean, how long does one have to keep using or putting premium gas into their car before it ***** on them?
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

just use 87, damn
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

thats not the answer i was looking for.
Old 11-25-2006
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
just start using reg and save your money. You have probably done no harm and it wont hurt to switch.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

well, if i DO switch back and my car starts to act funny. what would it feel like?. what would i be looking for?
Old 11-25-2006
Premium Member

switch back to 87, it will be fine. i doubt you will notice any change, and the ecu would have adjusted its timing after one tank.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

yeah, sometimes i DO infact think to myself. "am i just wasting my money" or "am i doing no good for my engine with this gas"? I think i SHOULD switch back to regular. i'll have to wait though cause i recently filled up on 93 so i have to wait for like a month unless i drive alot more than usual.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
91 get's better mileage for me then 94 but I'm sure I've got more power with the 94.

Edit: BTW if you tuned your car to premium (without any mods except for a tunable ECU) then would the higher octane cause damage?

Last edited by kornsined; 11-25-2006 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

your also swapped
Old 11-25-2006
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
91!!!!!
Old 11-25-2006
Banned

SLO REX the 2nd is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SOAD
i hope i dont see a post saying "yea i use premium gas all the time and i can feel a difference in hp!!"
On this site anything is possible.

Quick Reply: don't use premium gas