7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Silly? which ATF question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
danilo1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Silly? which ATF question

Time to drain fill my Wifes' 04 with 50K miles... transfluid.
Dealers ZW1 is 11$ a jug. I'm cheap by nature
ANY.. point in buying a Gallon of Mobil Trans fluid ?? label claims ZWI compatible.
Or just a foolish try at saving 10$ ?
Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Silly? which ATF question

Use the Honda trans fluid. This is one area that you don't wanna get cheap on…
Old 06-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
danilo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you.. Just came back from the dealers.. a bit lighter of wallet though :-) Didn't realise that Ali drain plug washer was 5$ tho !.
Slightly smaller Oil one is 90 cents.
Old 06-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

The Honda ATF is DW-1. Only use this ATF. You might want to do another drain and fill since you only have 50K and most likely have the old Honda ATF Z-1 in the trans. DW-1 is synthetic.
Old 06-23-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NDNV
The Honda ATF is DW-1. Only use this ATF. You might want to do another drain and fill since you only have 50K and most likely have the old Honda ATF Z-1 in the trans. DW-1 is synthetic.
There isn't anything wrong with having some ATF Z1 in a car that was originally designed to use it. All you can buy these days is ATF DW1. You can pour DW1 into a car designed for Z1, but they don't recommend Z1 into any car newer than 2010. I have around 6 qts of Z1 still in my private stash and wouldn't hesitate to use it in an older honda.

I have been told by Honda corporate tech staff that the DW1 has much much better lubrication properties compared to the Z1 and that is the major difference between them. I personally have never seen anything that refers to DW1 as synthetic, but I will spend a couple minutes looking later at the release notes from 2009 to see what it says about it.

I checked the old service news and it doesn't say anything about my lubrication theory or synthetic base stock. All it says in the release news was that it was a better performing fluid when cold which would result in increase fuel economy.
Old 06-24-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

not a DIY article, so moving to correct section
Old 06-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by danilo1
Or just a foolish try at saving 10$ ?

is saving 10 bucks worth the risk?....IMO no

also....the metal washer on the drain plug can be reused, i have never replaced mine in 12 years, it still doesn't leak