How not to DIY - ATF Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RoccoCroce is an unknown quantity at this point
How not to DIY - ATF Flush

Has anyone else seen this video? The car in the video just happens to be one of ours in the 7th gen world... I think..

I just wanted to see if I could get a confirmation of accuracy.

I need to change my fluid in my 05. I'm at 40k and the shifts are not where they should be at this point. I know these cars have auto trans issues..

I've never had any good experiences with ATF...

Seems to be add or remove ANYTHING and no more shifting.

Is this a safe procedure given in the video?

Thanks in advance,
Rocco

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-04-2014 at 10:54 AM. Reason: this is how NOT to do
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ATF Flush

i wouldnt recommend that, and probably wouldnt risk it myself, but its your car,

i believe a drain and fill is all that honda recommends and i would stick with that, if you want to do a really thorough job, drain and fill it 2-3 times in a row,

and that looks like a 6th gen to me, not that it really matters
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Hmm.. If I can get one person that has done this, I'll probably do it. To me it just seems like and drain and fill is like changing your engine oil without replacing the filter.
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RoccoCroce
Hmm.. If I can get one person that has done this, I'll probably do it.
you just saw one person do it in the video
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

hardy har har.

I'm talking about someone on this forum.

It seems like a legitimate, thorough procedure.

I'm aware there is risk involved.
Old 05-03-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like dinking with a hose and clamps and extra hose and bucket and all that, then running the engine until the trans pump is completely run out of fluid and dry might be detrimental to the life of the pump. You can't change the filter using this method either.

Seems like yanking the drain plug twice or thrice is a lot less work.
Hell, it's got a magnet attached to it and you could clean it off while it's out each time.

Plus, the engineers put that drainplug down there for a reason......
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

Agreed. I'm not trying to do anything backwards. I want to get the assy fluid out of the TC as well. To me it seems like a waste to not drain IT as well.

Maybe it isn't worth the trouble.

Also, Honda wont replace the filter either. NOR will THEY properly flush the trans.
They drain and fill for $70 and won't do the extra work if you request it..

They flat out told me this on the phone in 2 different instances.

Bums.

Also, as per the TC draining... I've got all the tools required for that. The trans is drained normally from beneath and then filled to level. Then the supply line is bled into the bucket.
The supply drain is the extra step... Either way, I'd be replacing the fluid as normal. It's the extra step I'm curious about. It "seems legit"..
I like to put in the extra effort where I can especially in instances where it looks like it's not much more work for a lot more peace of mind and a true completion of a task.
Old 05-03-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

OTOH it seems to do the job.

Buy a case of fluid....Go for it and report your results!
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

I think I will. I would very conservatively bleed the fluid till clean. I have all materials on hand.
I just wanted to get someone with a troubleshooting brain to kinda get on my side...

so, thank you
Old 05-03-2014

Agreed. I'm not trying to do anything backwards. I want to get the assy fluid out of the TC as well. To me it seems like a waste to not drain IT as well.

Also, Honda wont replace the filter either. NOR will THEY properly flush the trans.

Bums.
There's a damn good reason they will not replace the filter.
You don't want to pay 14 hours worth of labor to replace it.

God invented the drain plug, and it was good. That's how we do it.
If you want to do it differently, that's on you.

Honda has printed literature warning about flushing, here's a word-for-word copy of it: http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/...html#post13701
EDIT: The info above is older, that was when we still had Z-1 trans fluid. Now the fluid is DW-1.

HTH
Old 05-03-2014
Registered!!

o0o0o0o0o I love literature... nomnomnom...

I shall read into this..
Thank you!
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

is it a waste of time to change your engine oil when it does not all drain out? when you change your engine oil do you take your valve cover off and get the half liter of oil out that is sitting on the valve train?

besides, if you use the recommended procedure, which i have already suggested in my first post (drain and fill 2-3 times) you WILL get the fluid out of the TC

you are right

the wont do it for good reasons, this should be a sign that YOU shouldnt be doing it either

Either way, I'd be replacing the fluid as normal. It's the extra step I'm curious about. It "seems legit"..
its nice to think you are smarter then the engineers but you are not, generally when people do things against the manufacturers recommended procedures they end up doing more harm then good

if people would just stick to the manufacturers recommendations, maintanance intervals, and OEM fluids and parts, most cars would last alot longer then they do

i will be waiting for your next thread in a few weeks, "stuck at side of the road, tranny problem"

Last edited by mikey1; 05-04-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2014

Originally Posted by mikey1

if people would just stick to the manufacturers recommendations, maintanance intervals, and OEM fluids and parts, most cars would last alot longer then they do
Ya know, we see some of the strangest, most unusual problems on some of the cars that are serviced by someplace other than the dealer. Issues that we just NEVER see and shouldn't happen, seem to come from some of those with no history of service at any dealer.

Not saying all of them, because some techs/shops/people do care enough to do stuff right. Just the 'some' that don't.
And the drivers are usually clueless as to the root cause of their issues, or they don't realize there is any issue at all because the car can still pull itself down the street.

i will be waiting for your next thread in a few weeks, "stuck at side of the road, tranny problem"

Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Yow.... That was unfounded..

The dealers here wont do anything, they're all bums. That's why I said that. They're the type that doesn't replace filters at oil changes.

There's lots of procedures that require common sense extra steps. That doesn't mean they were written wrong or the people who wrote them aren't intelligent.

Also, engine oil and ATF isn't exactly "apples and oranges" but.... seriously??

If you're just going to flame, then don't bother responding. This thread was closed as far as everyone was concerned 3 posts ago with ezone's response.
Was really hoping this wasn't going to be a pseudo "hater-tech" board, but I guess there's always a few bro's.

You can have your cookie now.
Old 05-04-2014

Yow.... That was unfounded..
Was that aimed at me? Sorry. My last reply was aimed at Mikey, more than you.
They're the type that doesn't replace filters at oil changes.
Check the Maintenance Minder schedules on the cars that use it. Oil filter is not replaced on an "A" service, only the oil. (We replace the filter on all oil changes at our shop though.)

There's lots of procedures that require common sense extra steps. That doesn't mean they were written wrong or the people who wrote them aren't intelligent.
True, and the service manuals were not written to be used by average people. They assume a certain level of aptitude is already present. Problem is, the entry level mechanics that do the majority of the grunt work quite often don't have that level of expertise to use their own judgment.

By the same token: Some engineers are smarter than others.
Also, engine oil and ATF isn't exactly "apples and oranges" but.... seriously??
When referring to a simple fluid replacement, it seems kinda appropriate to me.

If this was some other brand of car that has no trans drain plug, the type where you would have to take down a pan to drain the fluid and change the filter......then, well, ok.

I've been known to use a long straw and vacuum to change fluid in stuff like that.

If I can get one person that has done this, I'll probably do it.
Now that I think about it:

In other posts here, I have referred to a friend of mine that used to run rural paper routes 250 miles per night, all stop and go (hammer down WOT full blast, then stand the car on its nose to stop....250 miles per night, 1/4 mile to a full mile at a time.)
He used to do his own ATF changes as in the video, but it was on an 88 Mazda MX6 that was well known to have trans problems at 80k like clockwork. His got replaced with a factory reman about that mileage.
His 2nd trans got the regular fluid changes as in the video, and it went about 200k before it let go. Then it got yet another trans.
The car had over 400k on it the last time I saw it, on the original engine.

You can have your cookie now.
Omnomnomnomnom....Got milk?
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

If you're just going to flame, then don't bother responding.
nobody is flaming anybody that i can see, you must be reading between the lines somewhere,

bottom line is, you are making a simple procedure more difficult then it has to be without any added benefits,

warm the tranny up, drain it, fill it, repeat that process three times,

stop making things so complicated when they don't have to be
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Re: How not to DIY - ATF Flush

NOT aimed at you.

You comments have been insightful and helpful; I appreciate all of the input you've had on my posts. Intelligent and grounded responses, along with criticism, are always welcome.

I DO see that Honda doesn't recommend flushing MACHINES...

The difference here being there will be no positive or vacuum pressure- the trans uses its own volition to empty the last bits of funny stuff out of the TC.

It still does not seem that farfetched... Certainly not enough so to warrant such a flamer broski response.

You'd think I were proposing doing something silly like adding an external filter to this perfect design. Ridiculous right!?

As far as full flushing goes, I've performed several total trans and engine flushes on a few CRX's over the years to great avail. The concept remains the same but its practice WILL be different here with an auto trans on a newer Honda.

Get it all out, replace it. Run it clean. Top it off. Check. Check. Check it again. Test drive. Check.

I'm looking forward to it now.

ezon, check out my seatbelt indicator thread sometime. Completely benign, reversable, SIMPLE convenience mod that anyone with a partially functioning brain and at least one opposable thumb can accomplish. No special steps or special tools. Can be done with small flat blade and spare wire, for cryin' out loud...
Even that got flamed..

I'm realizing its not a function of me...

Again, I appreciate your help, Mr. nameless ezone!
Rocco
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

As far as full flushing goes, I've performed several total trans and engine flushes on a few CRX's over the years to great avail. The concept remains the same but its practice WILL be different here with an auto trans on a newer Honda.

Get it all out, replace it. Run it clean. Top it off. Check. Check. Check it again. Test drive. Check.

I'm looking forward to it now.
i really think you only asked this question in hopes the replies would be what you wanted to hear, so for what its worth i will grant you your wish.....

you seem like an expert and know what you are doing, flushing your transmission using the method in the video is a great idea, it will do a better job then the engineers ever could have thought of,

does that make you feel better now?

so go for it, a reman tranny isn't all that expensive anyway, and it sounds like you would have no trouble installing it yourself, after you F yours up using this method
Old 05-04-2014

NOT aimed at you.
K, thx.

You'd think I were proposing doing something silly like adding an external filter to this perfect design. Ridiculous right!?
People do that too.

I have heard arguments both ways.
Our experience at work with a demo flush several years ago was not good on the first guinea pig, it didn't get 2 miles down the road before it **** the bed..

I will keep my own opinion about machines to myself...this time.

I hate that the flush machine sales pitches are believed before the written info from the manufacturer of the car.

I actually told the last sales pitch talker at work his BS gave me a damn headache. (Was not for a trans flusher though.)

ezon, check out my seatbelt indicator thread sometime. Completely benign, reversable, SIMPLE convenience mod that anyone with a partially functioning brain and at least one opposable thumb can accomplish. No special steps or special tools. Can be done with small flat blade and spare wire, for cryin' out loud...
Even that got flamed..

I'm realizing its not a function of me...
LOL @ opposable thumb-----wait, if you only have ONE then it's not opposable, is it?1?!?

I saw it and stayed out of it.
You were overriding a safety system, IMO that's the big reason you got flamed.
You do realize I'm a dealer tech, right? I can't advocate a hack on a safety system like that.

(If you had been showing how to repair that microswitch to solve the SRS light 9-1 code, that probably would have gotten you some praise.)
Again, I appreciate your help, Mr. nameless ezone!
Rocco
YW.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Whatever you say Bubba Gump. Clearly its your world and everyone else is just living in it. With the exception of a few, the renaming of this thread is text-book example of juvenile immature minds that like to passive-aggressively wield power behind a computer screen.
If you want to help people, don't do it backhandedly.

Remember, hands at 10-and-2- wouldn't want to have an accident. If you're old enough to drive, that is.
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
K, thx.

People do that too.

That was my sarcasm. I've looked into it and saw a few folks who found it necessary on these 7th gens. I wonder if that was part of the original sales pitch... Probably more so improvement by necessity and not a case of someone thinking they're better than an "engineer".

I have heard arguments both ways.
Our experience at work with a demo flush several years ago was not good on the first guinea pig, it didn't get 2 miles down the road before it **** the bed..

I will keep my own opinion about machines to myself...this time.

I hate that the flush machine sales pitches are believed before the written info from the manufacturer of the car.

I don't care for them either, which is why the procedure in this video was looking pretty plausible.

I actually told the last sales pitch talker at work his BS gave me a damn headache. (Was not for a trans flusher though.)

LOL @ opposable thumb-----wait, if you only have ONE then it's not opposable, is it?1?!?

I saw it and stayed out of it.
You were overriding a safety system, IMO that's the big reason you got flamed.
You do realize I'm a dealer tech, right? I can't advocate a hack on a safety system like that.

Well the system only thinks the driver seatbelt is connected at all times- in which case if I'm driving, IT IS. Always. It's just... the.. beeeping.....

(If you had been showing how to repair that microswitch to solve the SRS light 9-1 code, that probably would have gotten you some praise.)
YW.
If I ever end up getting that code, I'll dive right into it. I'm much more interested in electrical work than I am automatic transmissions..
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Roccocroce,

any reason for the animosity?
ezone does know better than you on hondas...
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

There could be several evident reasons, none of which would be towards ezone.

All I wanted to see were other people experiences with this procedure. Not surprisingly, ezone's the only one who could regale me with a story about it!

It's ridiculous to respond if the only intent is to insult others' intelligence and flame the thread out. So, there's a good reason.

Some people like to **** just to ****...

There's no sarcasm in my thanks toward ezone.
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

ah, ok, i see it now.

mikey1,

calm down, buddy! don't bite

Rocco,

despite his wording, mikey is a good fella as well
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

There could be several evident reasons, none of which would be towards ezone.

All I wanted to see were other people experiences with this procedure. Not surprisingly, ezone's the only one who could regale me with a story about it!

It's ridiculous to respond if the only intent is to insult others' intelligence and flame the thread out. So, there's a good reason.

Some people like to **** just to ****...

There's no sarcasm in my thanks toward ezone.

yes, you are smarter then the honda engineers, you have found a better way to change the ATF and they should be paying you millions of dollars for coming up with this procedure

holy crap dude, follow the recommended procedures, and if you are unable to do that yourself, take your car to a honda dealership for its service, they clearly know what is best for your vehicle, and you do not
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ah, ok, i see it now.

mikey1,

Rocco,

my bad......maybe????
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
ah, ok, i see it now.

mikey1,

Rocco,

mikey you ARE RIGHT.... It's "more" work. There must be some instance where ALL OF US have gone the extra mile- "or the extra foot in this case".
I can't find it in me yet to justify all of the refilling and repetitive draining when this is an option to do it one-and-done.

To me this is "if it works, this is the better method". The only risk is running the trans dry while flushing. Which is A BIG DEAL, I understand that. So is forgetting to replace the engine oil after you drain it.

But seriously... some support? It's not like I just shot someones puppy..
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

am afraid no one tried this here...
IF you decide to try, hope all goes well, truly
Old 05-04-2014
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikey1
and that looks like a 6th gen to me, not that it really matters
Accord...
Old 05-04-2014
Registered!!

mikey you ARE RIGHT.... It's "more" work. There must be some instance where ALL OF US have gone the extra mile- "or the extra foot in this case".
I can't find it in me yet to justify all of the refilling and repetitive draining when this is an option to do it one-and-done.

To me this is "if it works, this is the better method". The only risk is running the trans dry while flushing. Which is A BIG DEAL, I understand that. So is forgetting to replace the engine oil after you drain it.

But seriously... some support? It's not like I just shot someones puppy..
you don't want to listen to reasoning, you are the expert here, so go and prove the honda engineers and everybody else here wrong, you have the better method to change the ATF, so go use it

Quick Reply: How not to DIY - ATF Flush