DIY: Pass. axle seal

Old 10-23-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zkdawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Post DIY: Pass. axle seal

This is my first DIY as bear with me.
i have searched around for a few now and could not find a DIY just ones for replacing the axle, which i do in here as well.
hope you all enjoy.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DAMAGE YOUR U OR YOUR CAR WHILE U ARE FOLLOWING THIS DIY.

Tools needed:
Ball joint spreader
BFH, aka big F-ing hammer
12mm socket
3/4 socket
7/8 socket
1 1/4 socket
large flat head screw driver
impact(elec. or air)
ATF 1-2 quarts
axle seal
good light

First you have to remove the wheel.
(if u dont know how then dont bother reading on)

then put the 1 1/4 socket on the impact and remove the axle nut.

after, you need the remove the top part of the spindel.
there are 2 3/4 bolts with 7/8 nuts.
put your 7/8 socket on the impact and the 3/4 on your ratchet, now impact the nut off on both.

now remove the brake line bracket with the 12mm socket.

to remove the crown nut under the spindel, remove the pin from the crown nut and try to keep it straight so u can reuse it. if it brakes or u have to cut it then they are cheap enough.

now remove the nut and insert the spreader, like this

(as u can see from this shot, i have a bad ATF leak)

after giving it a few good whacks it should look like this.
then pry it up and down

now u can pull the spindel/brake asem. from the axle and place it on the ground depending on how high u have the car off the ground

when it comes to removing the axle i used a large flat head screw driver and with your palm give it a good whack. if u try to pull it out, you wont get far.

use a screw driver and pry the old seal out

shouldn't be to hard to remove but if u have trouble then u can take a wood screw and screw it in to the seal, not to far, and use vice grips and pull it out.

before putting the new seal in i took some ATF and put some around the outside of the seal. putting the seal in was smooth as it didnt take much force and i just used the bottom of a can of spray paint and pushed it in with that with out a hammer.
after getting the seal in, put more ATF around the center of the seal and then around the axle that makes contact with the seal.

before putting the axle back in, lube the trans side with grease so the c-ring near the end will be centered as u put it back in the trans.
when putting it back in, use the axle like a slide hammer and slide the axle back and forth till u get it in all the way, u will hear higher pitched metal sound when u are in all the way.

put the lower spindel joint in the hole and i found using a screw driver in the top hole of the spindel to hold it while you shimmy the axle in the asem.

after, u can put the break line back on and put the spindel back on in revers order.

REMEMBER TO NOTCH THE AXLE NUT IN THE AXLE NOTCH AFTER ITS ON OR IT COULD BACK OFF WHILE DRIVING.

Now start the car and get it to operating temp and check your trans fluid to see how much u have to out in and do so accordingly.

ANY Qs, just PM me.