DIY: Auto transmission cooler (pics added)

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Auto transmission cooler (pics added)

idk, stock hose lol. and yes if you mount it in front it will have better cooling, middle is okay cooling.. ill prolly switch mine when i change the filter.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
draganjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool thanks gearbox you are the man.

I am going to autozone and just match up the hoses and get about 6 feet and play with the location of the cooler.

How much was the filter and the holder for it?
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Is the filter needed?
Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its not needed, but it comes stock on the HX cvt civic. it is def recommended, because the only filter we have is inside the trans so when it get clogged, the trans dies. it was only $25 i believe. new filter around $20. and there is a good spot to mount near the header.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

does anyone have an 01 with auto trans over 100,000 miles with no problems?
my car is currently 50,0000 and i plan to have it for at least 4-6 more years
Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member

i know of a couple people, but they do mostly highway driving. the less the trans has to shift, the longer it lasts. mine has been slipping into gear for a good 10k miles at least, so maybe it wont give out so soon. i have 70k now on my 02 which also has the defect.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

what is the % of it clogging? Would an aftermarket tranny filter work too?

So looking down at the two hoses the one closest to the battery is the one the coller hooks up to? I havent had a change to check it yet. been really sick and the sons have been sick to.
Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member

ya most shops that rebuild the trans put in an aftermarket external filter. and yeah, looking at the bay, its the hose closer to the battery where hot fluid goes from trans to radiator.
Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member

hey wait i think i have mine correct? isnt fluid supposed to flow to radiator first, then oil cooler, then back to trans? thats what i have now. hot fluid comes from left port, to radiator, then from radiator to cooler, and from cooler to right port of tranny.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

I think it flows from the tranny to the cooler to the rad back to the tranny.

See Below.

Last edited by draganjr; 11-06-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

This is the way I have mine. Is yours the same?

Old 11-06-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
hey wait i think i have mine correct? isnt fluid supposed to flow to radiator first, then oil cooler, then back to trans? thats what i have now. hot fluid comes from left port, to radiator, then from radiator to cooler, and from cooler to right port of tranny.

I think it is normally preferable to have the external cooler plumbed in series with the return line.
Old 11-06-2007
Premium Member

i believe i have it like you do? the left trans line puts out hot oil that goes to the left lower port of the radiator. then through the rad, out the port on the right, then to one port of the trans cooler, then out the other port of the cooler, then my filter, then back to the right side line putting oil back to the trans.
Old 11-07-2007
Registered!!

your the man gearbox, i have the filter on order. thanks alot for your help.
Old 11-12-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i believe i have it like you do? the left trans line puts out hot oil that goes to the left lower port of the radiator. then through the rad, out the port on the right, then to one port of the trans cooler, then out the other port of the cooler, then my filter, then back to the right side line putting oil back to the trans.
So like this:

Old 11-12-2007
Premium Member

yup exactly how mine is. the red line being stock hose that i left alone. and my cooler is inbetween a/c and rad.
Old 03-13-2010
Registered!!

Cosmo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone have an update on transmission life since adding the cooler & additional filter?
Old 03-14-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cosmo1
Anyone have an update on transmission life since adding the cooler & additional filter?
I think Gearbox still has his going and hasn't had to rebuild yet thanks to the cooler.
Old 03-15-2010
Registered!!

Cosmo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading a few of his posts, he is currently biding his time.
Old 03-20-2010
Premium Member

40k extra miles squeezed out so far once it started slipping which is not bad and hasnt gotten worse. its like life support, sooner or later it will need a transplant.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

kryngle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Gearbox, I have a 2001 Acura EL, so far my tranny's been great to me (knock on wood) should I be jumpin on this mod???
Old 03-21-2010
Premium Member

ive never heard of the EL having issues but its always a good idea to keep the trans cool. it makes the fluid last longer which prolongs the life of the trans. its much better for it to run colder than to overheat. its not like an engine that needs to be at a certain temp for best efficiency.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this is old but here is what I come up with.

Fisrt I have 01 Civic Ex Auto with 113k Miles and I dont know the history behind my tranny.

I was looking into adding a cooler and a filter just to be safe...

I found this Filter Kit on Ebay
HONDA TRANSMISSION FILTER - CIVIC - 2001- 2005 - OEM
Manufacturer Part Number: 06250-PLX-A01
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories
Is this any good ? because on Majestic i found the one for the HX and is a different part number 25430-PLR-003

I believe that filter should be placed before the cooler because the reason why those HX civics with CVT needs a cooler and the filter is to filter out the oil before it gets to the cooler and not to clog it !!!

Please if any one have done this or tried it provide some info

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2011
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Might wanna update this with pics steve...
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member

that is the filter kit i bought on ebay too. it comes with the brackets and stuff too for an easy install. filter is the same as 2001 civic HX CVT and RSX. i bolted mine to the radiator support in front of the cooling fan. i took my trans cooler off recently but kept the filter. you need the filter no matter what because the fluid becomes contaminated with internal particles very easily. but not enough to actually cause the radiator or cooler to clog. they are mostly fine particles that stay in the fluid.
Old 01-25-2011
Registered!!

bravo79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks gearbox I just ordered the kit.

Why did you take off your cooler ? Do you still have your old tranny ?

I dont have any problems with my tranny but i want to be safe. Do i still need the cooler ?
or should i wait till the summer ?
Old 01-25-2011
Premium Member

yeah im at 96k, it slips badly when cold so i was hoping the fluid would warm up faster so i can drive without as many problems, but it didnt really help. still takes a while for the thing to warm up. ive just about had it with this thing and almost wish it would just break so i can swap in a new engine and manual trans. i dont think the cooler is really a big deal on these particular cars because first off, they already have a small cooler as part of the radiator. it doesnt work well due to engine coolant running hotter than trans fluid, but better than none i guess. and also, this trans fails from defective parts, not heat. so long as you change the fluid every year, the cooler really isnt needed imo. but the filter is for sure.
Old 01-27-2011
Registered!!

tempo is an unknown quantity at this point

In 2009 I replaced automatic trany on my 2001 LX with 2005 EX. At that time I installed external filter and cooler. Since that I had 20K on the car. So far so good. I measured the temperature of fluid in summer (ambient was 100F) and it was 200F. Now the ambient temperature here is 30F. Today I touched the dipstick and it felt like no more than 120-130F (unfortunately I do not have a thermometer). I am worried a bit because of too low fluid temperature. Maybe it was too low because I drove only 30 mins on highway. Recommended temperature is about 180F:
http://www.digi-panel.com/digidevicesweb/trannyoil.htm
http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl451a.htm

I am thinking to cover the cooler to rise the fluid temperature.
Old 01-27-2011
Premium Member

you can cover it in winter if you want, but the transmission does not need to be at full operating temp to function efficiently like the engine does. it works just as well with lower temps. and in winter, it can take much longer for the trans to warm up with or without a cooler. when i was measuring temps, there was hardly any difference which is why i decided to just take off the cooler. in winter ive had to drive around 30 mins before the trans temp got up to normal (staying in D3 and not alot of stop and go).

also 200F is a bit high in summer, but it shouldnt hurt anything other than degrading the fluid faster (so you just need to keep an eye out and change it sooner than normal).
Old 01-29-2011
Registered!!

tempo is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody have an opinion about oil filters used as external transmission filters? I have Summit B&M 80277 filter and replacement for that is Fram PH8A with 20 microns pores. Here is a quote from
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread...2172894&page=2

"Filter micron ratings can be tricky. To set the record straight, Honda / Acura transmissions use a 80-90 micron "NOMINAL" filtering media. This is much different than the alternative "ABSOLUTE" media. 80 microns NOMINAL means a particle measuring 80x80 will not pass through... however if it's 80x40 it can. That's because nominal filtering uses a layered fiber weave, and small particles can make their way through sometimes.

80 microns ABSOLUTE filters have precision layers with holes no larger than 80x80 microns, so even an 80x10 particle can't get through.

Now having said all that, the reason Honda does not use ABSOLUTE filtering is because they run the risk of actually straining the detergents from the ATF itself (at 58 microns max.). This obviously would cause problems."

Quick Reply: DIY: Auto transmission cooler (pics added)