Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission removal.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tracecross30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission removal.

Is there anyway to take off a transmission without someone helping you or without a lift or transmission jack? Also, how much does a manual transmission weighs?
Old 05-22-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Transmission removal.

not a DIY article not a suspension related

moving to right section
Old 05-22-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tracecross30
Is there anyway to take off a transmission without someone helping you or without a lift or transmission jack? Also, how much does a manual transmission weighs?
Yeah, throw a floor jack and a block of wood under it.
If you want to take it out through the bottom you need to loosen the subframe. If you want to take it out the top you need to remove the water passage.

And 50-70lbs maybe? Manageable by yourself, way easier with a helper
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

You will find just taking the axles out can be 3/4 of the hard part. Start shooting penetrating liquid on those bolts and the transmission mount bolts as far in advance as you can.

Ultimately I think it’s easier to pull it out from the bottom, but your putting your body in harms way if your not at least using a support brace across the engine bay to hold the weight of the tranny as you working it free. You just need a 4x4 and few straps to make it way safer.
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

Ok bro,thanks a lot the subframe must be heavy to reinstall it,I dont have any help so I dont know how this will work. But I have to do this,my input shaft bearing annoying me with the noise making..
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

One more question, since it's not an automatic transmission, I shouldn't need to take off the pressure plate before I can move the trany from the engine.?
Old 05-22-2019

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Ok bro,thanks a lot the subframe must be heavy to reinstall it,I dont have any help so I dont know how this will work. But I have to do this,my input shaft bearing annoying me with the noise making..
Originally Posted by Colin42
If you want to take it out through the bottom you need to loosen the subframe.
loosen the bolts, you dont need to remove it, just need it to hang lower, again a floor jack can help you

One more question, since it's not an automatic transmission, I shouldn't need to take off the pressure plate before I can move the trany from the engine.?
no

here's a diy on how to unbolt the trans

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...h-install.html
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm not doing my clutch though, my clutch is fine..all I'm doing is the input shaft bearing,the seal,the axle seals and the throw out bearing,thats it.
Old 05-22-2019

... just follow all the steps until you get to part about changing the clutch.
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

I'm not doing my clutch,. Only my input shaft bearing.
Old 05-22-2019

You really don't get it do you?
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

You said to fallow the steps until I get to the part about changing the clutch and i said I'm not doing my clutch,only my input shaft I'm doing. So I dont understand what you talking about.
Old 05-22-2019

That link I posted has all the steps to remove the trans from the engine, complete with pretty pictures.
It doesn't talk about removing it from the car, but as I said earlier, you either loosen the subframe bolts to lower it, or drain the coolant and remove the water passage, which I what I did when I swapped the trans in my old car
Old 05-22-2019
Registered!!

Oh yeah,I read the link bro,I was confused at first because I wasn’t shore why you asked if I don’t get it. I read the link.
Old 05-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

I took my trans from the top, like colin said you need to remove the water passage to make room. I also removed the clutch to get more space because I felt it would not fit with it on. After that just move the trans in a way that it will fit.
I did my ISB and the clutch because the clutch tore apart and it would just barely grab enough to make it to my in-laws where i was gonna do the job