Rear strut removal DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about
Rear strut removal DIY

Dunno why this isn't address, but I found this vid, thoought I'd share

The following users liked this post:
Bryan Sibert (05-30-2020)
Old 02-23-2016
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Rear strut removal DIY

thanks for your help to the community!
Old 02-26-2016
Registered!!

meicalnissyen has a spectacular aura aboutmeicalnissyen has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
thanks for your help to the community!

HAHAHA

I know, lame, but the only DIY up had busted pics

Once I saw how easy, yeah, lame post

the trick is putting a 10mm deep well socket on a floor jack to push on the eye and compress it the last inch and get the eye bolt in

Also, when the seats are down, there are a pair of access panels that pop out to get the forward nut onto the struts stud

That is all good citizens
Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phillip123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it yourself or don't do it
Old 06-08-2017
Grey hair

CharlieDee is an unknown quantity at this point

I should have made another DIY on how to do it to a car in the rust belt. First how the head of the lower mount bolt snaps off because the bolt is seized into the bushing sleeve. Then how the welded on nut gets cut off with a angle grinder because the bolt is also seized into it. We move to the trunk to get the upper nuts which appear to be in excellent shape, this should be easy.. Right. 3 came off easy and one stripped instantly requiring the air chisel to get medieval on it. That leads us to the now still stuck in the bracket bushing. Of course the angle grinder makes yet another appearance to cut off the bushing shell to get at the inner sleeve, I love the smell of burning rubber bushing BTW. And for the finale the angle grinder again doing it's magic on the sleeve and the remainder of the bolt. Add some hammer, big pry bar and a BUNCH of choice words and it's done. Well almost because in all the excitement you also managed to look the wrong way at the little metal brake line that goes into the wheel cylinder and it starts leaking... Of course anyone who has worked on rusty Michigan brake lines knows this story, might as well go all the way to the prop valve because as soon as you touch one line and start reefing on it to loosen it a leak will appear somewhere else up the line....
The following users liked this post:
Bryan Sibert (05-30-2020)