Halo Projector Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blaqkciv is an unknown quantity at this point
Halo Projector Installation

Hello all, I was wondering if anybody has happened to install a pair of projectors which require the wiring of the separate LED wires. If so, I was also wondering what gauge wires to use when splicing the LED wires into wire harness of my car with the quick connect. Do the wires being spliced into the harness need to be automotive specific? Or will any do just fine without melting. Any information will help! Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Halo Projector Installation

LED is low power and can be tapped to anything. most people just use the park light wires so you dont have to run the wiring inside the car. just tap to + and - of the park light on each side. the led halo is less than 1w of power and will not require anything other than tap them to a power and ground. if they dont work, reverse the polarity and try again.
Old 11-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShattaD EM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 2005 ex special edition manual with the r8 helo projectors that come with led daytime running lights by Spec-D . I was looking for a constant power wire to hook them up to. And where would be a good place to ground it?
Old 11-30-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When I rocked my halos (before one of the inverters died), I straight up tapped my parking light wires and connected it using T-taps (both ground and +12VDC lines). Worked just fine.
Old 12-24-2019
Registered!!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Brads Si is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShattaD EM2
I've got a 2005 ex special edition manual with the r8 helo projectors that come with led daytime running lights by Spec-D . I was looking for a constant power wire to hook them up to. And where would be a good place to ground it?
I am trying to get a set of the same lights. So far, the right/passenger side, I have had issues with some of the LEDs burnt out on arrival. The 3rd lamp is supposed to arrive today.
Your post is from a few years ago, how have your lamps held up over time?
I am wondering if there is a place in the under hood fuse box to hook in for accessory power for the LED DRLs. I want them to off and on with the key.
Old 12-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

That dude hasn't logged into the site in 2 years, but to give you an answer, lots of those 3rd party LED halos suck, to be completely honest.

As far as under-hood accessory power, I do not believe there is one that is on/off with the key. Your best bet is to route a wire into the cabin and fusetap the cabin fuse box. The ECU wiring has a grommet you can fish a wire through. It's on the passenger side, about halfway down. Not terribly hard to access, a lot easier if you have an aftermarket intake. I was able to fish a 2AWG wire through that grommet in my 2002.
Old 12-24-2019
Registered!!

Thank you, I was wondering about that. Any idea what fuse would be best for tapping into under the steering wheel?
Old 12-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

what year/trim you got?
Old 12-24-2019
Registered!!

2005 Civic EX 2 door 5 speed
Old 12-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Fuse 3 or 12. Use a multimeter and see if you get voltage when you want it. Those are both slated for DRLs (3 says "DRL" 12 says "DRL Canada" )

otherwise, fuse 8 (acc radio) or 18 (cigaretter lighter adapter), might be viable choices

use one of these.

Lets you hardwire without splicing anything, and still provide fused power to the fuse slot's original target load. Just gotta find you a good ground point for the LED DRLs, and that can literally be any bare metal. Anywhere. Ground those LEDs out in the engine bay and grab power via fusetap from the cabin.

edit: source for fuse loads here: https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ho...-dash-fuse-box bc I don't own a 7thgen anymore
Old 12-24-2019
Registered!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Just installed the lights in the car. They look great. I'll order the fuse tap off of Amazon and hook up the LEDs when they arrive.
Old 12-24-2019
Administrator
Administrator

Heads up, first fusetap I bought was on amazon for like 7 bucks. Second fusetap I bought was from autozone for like $7.50. Currently using one to power my dashcam and another to power my footwell lighting

Got any more questions, feel free to post up, my dude.

edit: I've done my fair share of dicking around with headlights. I know a thing or two. See if @sdaidoji will post up his headlights, if he installed 'em/still has 'em. I made that retrofit with custom LED lighting on the inside.

edit 2: I forgot, I posted pics of them, too. Check out the "her baby blues" link in my signature. Those are wired up to be on only when the parking light is on, however. They weren't wired in as DRLs

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 12-24-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2019
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

woups, no, have been busy with a computer that does not boot...
When I was in Canada, we ended up wiring the halos as DRL, although my old Amzo headlights were really not that bright, but the module worked on them.
The inspection station was dark, so the halos looked bright. (I took my US Civic with me for 1 1/2 years in Quebec, so that was the required modification)
Old 01-02-2020
Registered!!

I hooked up the DRL yesterday. For anyone reading this later on. Fuse 3 is on and off with the key. Fuse 12 is constant hot.
Thank you for the tip on running the wire in by the loom behind the air filter box. It is a nice clean install running through there.

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Fuse 3 or 12. Use a multimeter and see if you get voltage when you want it. Those are both slated for DRLs (3 says "DRL" 12 says "DRL Canada" )

otherwise, fuse 8 (acc radio) or 18 (cigaretter lighter adapter), might be viable choices

use one of these.

Lets you hardwire without splicing anything, and still provide fused power to the fuse slot's original target load. Just gotta find you a good ground point for the LED DRLs, and that can literally be any bare metal. Anywhere. Ground those LEDs out in the engine bay and grab power via fusetap from the cabin.

edit: source for fuse loads here: https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ho...-dash-fuse-box bc I don't own a 7thgen anymore
Old 05-07-2020
Registered!!

The LED DRLs on my wife's 2005 EX Special Edition are still looking great.
HOWEVER, on my 2013 Si, when I hit the unlock/lock, my DRLs come on, and stay on for a short period of time to illuminate the way into the house.
My wife is wondering if there is any circuit in the 2005 to allow her DRLs to do the same thing when she comes home at night.
Old 11-23-2022
Registered!!

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
gatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of light

So I just got new projector headlight assemblies for my 2004 Civic VP. They look amazing. The low beam is an H3 bulb assembly. I just bought two H3 LED bulbs to replace the low beam headlight bulbs. The question is, looking at a typical H3 halogen bulb, it seems like they light up forward facing. The H3 LED headlight bulbs I got do not have forward facing LEDs, but rather 24 individual LEDs in a pattern like below. Is that going to still light up properly in the new projector lights?
Old 11-23-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy1
So I just got new projector headlight assemblies for my 2004 Civic VP. They look amazing. The low beam is an H3 bulb assembly. I just bought two H3 LED bulbs to replace the low beam headlight bulbs. The question is, looking at a typical H3 halogen bulb, it seems like they light up forward facing. The H3 LED headlight bulbs I got do not have forward facing LEDs, but rather 24 individual LEDs in a pattern like below. Is that going to still light up properly in the new projector lights?
the question should be if the leds are same position as the halogen bulb filament

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/2...ype-bulbs.html
Old 11-23-2022
Registered!!

gatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of light

I got those same exact LEDs as above, and the H3 halogen bulb I have is in a projector lense, not a reflector lense.
Old 11-23-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

honestly, you will need to test both against a wall to see if it works

i see what you mean
Name:  phe8XEB.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  123.9 KB
Old 11-23-2022
Registered!!

These are the stock H3 low beam bulbs that came with the new headlight assembly. Not bad. A little uneven, but not bad. Once I get the new bulb I will put one in and see the difference.
Old 11-26-2022
Registered!!

The light output on the new H3 LEDs sucked donkey *****!! Look at this garbage!! First picture below is the stock vs. LED output. Stock H3 bulb is on the left.

Old 11-26-2022
Registered!!

And the H3 LEDs had six forward facing LEDs as well!!

Last edited by gatrhumpy1; 11-26-2022 at 02:48 PM.