grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 coupe
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbags05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by grenloch101056
02 coupe
If you have pics would you mind posting? I have an 02 Coupe as well.
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

grenloch101056 is an unknown quantity at this point
my cars in the shop right now (sore subject) when i get it back ill take some
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
ok... i've had the materials now for 1.5yrs and i need to do this... or at least take out my trunk springs to fit my RFs since i'm gonna change up my audio setup. Anyone help
Old 04-07-2006
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
i will take some good pics tonight or this weekend for you guys. i have an 01 coupe.

its really easier than it seems. measure the compressed length and don't forget to add the length of the 2 ends you screw into the shocks. then hop in the trunk and close it all the way. find a spot where that length will fit from the arm to the underside of the rear deck. the shock isn't going to be exactly straight back. its going to be slightly like / this and like \ this on each side (or slightly pointed toward the center of the car) thats the only way i got it to fit. after than get a sharpy and marked where you should drill. honestly, mine wasn't exact. i had one of those FAT tipped permenant markers and i kinda just made a mark close to where it should go. then i drilled in the center of that mark.

i'll get the pics
Old 04-07-2006
Registered!!

cleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trustedcleancivic 05 should not be trusted
this is a good diy
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

cbags05 is an unknown quantity at this point
pics? anybody with a coupe?
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough
I used 60lb shocks and the trunk opens automatically when I pull the lever. I have a coupe with oem lid and no spoiler. Great diy by the way, allowed me to install different 6x9s

a short vid of the spring action lid

Last edited by EggRollBandit05; 09-23-2006 at 03:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

scrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of lightscrimp is a glorious beacon of light
Cool vid I wanna do this now...I put on an OEM spoiler and now it doesnt open like it used to....

is it hard to close?
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough
Its not hard to close at all, I can still do it with one hand easily but its not like before where I could just nudge the trunk down a little bit and then it would slam closed by itself. With the springs if I nudge it down it will come back up which is much safer
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

pauldilsaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, much respect! I just got my parts in the mail and slapped everything on...it's perfect now! I don't have to get someone to hold my trunk while I load stuff in. I used the 60lb shocks with my factory wing and no trunk springs. Thank you!!!
Old 10-07-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Just ordered mine! $41 + shipping, hope I don't get raped on shipping to Canada!
Old 10-07-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
I didn't read the thread and ordered 40 pound shocks as suggested by the original poster, am I doomed? I can cencel the shipment and reorder prior to Tuesday, should I change it? All stock, no wing.
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

myinca will become famous soon enoughmyinca will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by pauldilsaver
Grey, much respect! I just got my parts in the mail and slapped everything on...it's perfect now! I don't have to get someone to hold my trunk while I load stuff in. I used the 60lb shocks with my factory wing and no trunk springs. Thank you!!!
does yours open all the way by itself with the 60lbs and wing?
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

Yes, it's awesome...I pull the latch and it slowly rises but quick enough to where it's not a problem, plus it doesn't slam open and shake, it's perfect! I had trouble placing the brackets in a perfect spot, but after I reviewed Grey's pics, I eyeballed the location, mounted one side, eyeballed the other side...no problems!
Old 10-07-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
I didn't read the thread and ordered 40 pound shocks as suggested by the original poster, am I doomed? I can cencel the shipment and reorder prior to Tuesday, should I change it? All stock, no wing.
You can send them back, the customer service is really good...you will pay for shipping though, since it was your mistake.
Old 10-07-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Well I can just cancel the order. Do you recommend 60s?
Old 10-07-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Does anyone really think 80 pounds of force isn't going to be enough? Is 120 really required? I'm freaking out man!
Old 10-08-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
Does anyone really think 80 pounds of force isn't going to be enough? Is 120 really required? I'm freaking out man!
Wow I dont think that much force is required but I guess it depends if you have a spoiler or not. I have 60lb ones with no spoiler and its more than adequate to open the trunk by itself. Also more force = harder to compress for the install
Old 10-09-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

What the hell? Looks like I'll be taking the parts list to Home Depot.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Aur Exports Distribution" <export.regulations@mcmaster.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:53:08
To:<black*****@******.com>
Subject: Your Recent McMaster-Carr Order

Dear Daniel,

Thank you for your order.* Unfortunately, due to the ever increasing complexity of United States export regulations, McMaster-Carr can only process orders from a few long-established customers in Canada. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you.

Please be assured that your credit card has not been charged.

Megan

McMaster-Carr Supply Co

(330)995-5962

Old 10-09-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Just to add to the knowledge pool, I installed 40 pounders in an '05 EX sedan with no spoiler. It was just barely enough - the trunk lid wouldn't raise itself, but it stayed wherever I put it. Very satisfactory. After adding a large amount of sound deadening to the trunk lid, it wasn't enough anymore so I switched to 60s. Very nice, trunk raises slowly by itself.

Something to consider is that the force needed is partly determined by exactly where you mount the shocks. More or less leverage will make a big difference. These things are so cheap that it really isn't a terrible problem if you need to buy another set along the way.
Old 11-25-2006
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
im using 50lbs on my trunk right...and i like how it raises itself up when i open the trunk....BUT when i close it...and look closely at the both corner, it doesnt sit flush with rest of the body. so im ordering 40lbs
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

AMontalvo22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, why did you post pics of two different cars? I'm trying to go by the pics and I'm a bit confused. Anyways, where can I get a set-up like that? I saw that you purchased your parts online, but I'm a bit weird about ordering things online.
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

civic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura about
how do you take the trunk springs out with out the tool. i was trying to take it off but it takes alot of force and i dont want anything flying at me when im taking it out any suggestions.
im doing this cuz i have a cf trunk and it flies open when i pop the latch.
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civic05acer
how do you take the trunk springs out with out the tool. i was trying to take it off but it takes alot of force and i dont want anything flying at me when im taking it out any suggestions.
I just grabbed them with a large pair of channel lock pliers and turned them - came out easier than I expected.
Old 11-29-2006
Registered!!

gimmegimme is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civic05acer
I took them out with a hammer (one of those with the nail remover on one end). Someone else posted the idea earlier in this thread and I can confirm it works well. (I don't have channel lock pliers.)
Old 01-18-2007
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AMontalvo22
Grey, why did you post pics of two different cars? I'm trying to go by the pics and I'm a bit confused. Anyways, where can I get a set-up like that? I saw that you purchased your parts online, but I'm a bit weird about ordering things online.
I installed some on my car, and then helped another member install his on his car. I guess I thought that more pics would be helpful... I think I should re-vamp all of my DIY's, and soon. They're all outdated. Pics are outdated too.

I order online. Online only. I don't know where to get stuff like that locally. Maybe there are places, but I'm not aware of them. Sometimes I find things in Lowe's that I can't find online, but that's rare. I always shop online. You have to be smart about it, but its rather safe.
Old 09-02-2007
Registered!!

Decimator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Trunk Shocks

awesome DIY i just (with some help) installed 70lb shock on my 05 civic coupe with spoiler the trunk raises with the littlest amount of upward pressure, very cool.
thanks for the tips
Old 09-02-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Well I now have a USA mailing address so how much pressure do you think would be required to open the trunk on its own after hitting the remote trunk release? I want to hit the button and have it raise up.

EDIT - no spoiler
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

Decimator is an unknown quantity at this point

the only problem with the trunk lifting itself is that at the end of it raising there is still a lot of momentum that after a while will loosen you bolts, especially since the trunk arms are just sheet metal. but if you still want to do it i would suggest 70-90lb since you don't have a spoiler. i have 70lb shocks w/ a spoiler but it won't raise itself till i help it about half way.
good luck

Quick Reply: DIY: Trunk Shocks