DIY: Trunk Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DIY: Trunk Shocks

Ordered with 50# shocks. I've only been wanting to do this since 2003. Post # 35 was me inquiring about these. . LOL

I'll do pictures when I install.
Old 07-07-2008
Super Hoser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough

lol...i ordered the kit from mcmastercarr in 2004...at the time, i was a bit lazy so i ended up selling them to someone else who really needed the parts...

fast forward a few years and my trunk springs started to rattle...the plastic bracket/clip at the center of the trunk springs also broke...sound deadening fixed the rattle temporarily but i still hated the torsion springs...on top of that, i found out mcmaster car would no longer ship to Canada so i was kinda SOL

i recently got off my *** and started to do some research of my own to figure out what other parts would work for the trunk spring mod. local automotive shops sold gas shocks but their parts didn't have the necessary stroke or lengths i needed...other shops wanted way too much money for the parts. i ended up finding a local guy that sold and serviced gas struts for a living. his entire buisiness was just gas struts..

this guy is totally awesome...he really knew his stuff and was very willing to help when i encountered problems. on top of that, his prices were totally reasonable. he also does custom valving because he services struts too. he offered to revalve mine to add more damping. more damping is great because it would allow me to keep the same lb force spec while making the trunk lid move more slowly to prevent it from boucing off of the bump stop.

i'll post more info w/ part numbers after my install is finalized...hopefully this will help the guys in Canada obtain parts since mcmaster won't ship to us anymore.

Last edited by turboslug; 07-07-2008 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-07-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

Great D.I.Y are the instructions the same for the sedan?
Old 08-14-2008
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

so.. I have a Kaminari KTR-II wing.. I just tried to do this install and found out that 90# shocks are too strong.. lol..

with that said, has anyone else (post gas-shock install) had problems having their trunk not sit flush when closed? Or is that just a by-product of having gas shocks that are too strong..?
Old 08-14-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

You may have to adjust the little rubber bump stops on the trunk to get things to sit right.
Old 08-14-2008
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

well, for one, I started mounting them in kind of a bad place.. i shoulda cut some cardboard pieces and played around a bit before drilling 20-gajillion holes all over my trunk.. I was trying to use grey's pictures for reference, saw 2 holes, drilled between the two about an inch off from one, and ended up using the wrong 2 holes...

the amount of force those shocks were putting at that particular spot was causing the front end of my trunk (closest to the rear window) to not sit flush by about a quarter inch..

i went and ordered a set of 60# shocks and when those show up, i'm gonna play around with some cardboard cutouts a bit more before re-drilling..

just means this is gonna be a project for another day.. makes me a sad panda, seeing as how my trunk can potentially kill me due to the lack of trunk springs and a kaminari wing.. damn you inifinity for making good sounding speakers..
Old 08-22-2008
Administrator
Administrator

Alright.. so I got my 60# shocks in and installed.. When I turn the key or pop the trunk from the inside, it lifts the trunk up about 4 inches, and if I lift the trunk, it'll stay in the position it's in. Trunk opens all the way, closes all the way.. Cool.. here's my problem now..

I don't see how messing with the rubber bump stops will help this one..

When I go into the trunk, sunlight is visible, so.. that means rain will be able to go into my trunk and potentially mess up my sound system..

Any suggestions anyone?

p.s. yes, my car is dirty.. shaddup.. it's been sporadically raining here in goo ol' WA state.. hence my concern..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Driver Side.jpg
Views:	4094
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	74711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pass side.jpg
Views:	4182
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	74712  
Old 08-22-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
colourwolf will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by turboslug
lol...i ordered the kit from mcmastercarr in 2004...at the time, i was a bit lazy so i ended up selling them to someone else who really needed the parts...

fast forward a few years and my trunk springs started to rattle...the plastic bracket/clip at the center of the trunk springs also broke...sound deadening fixed the rattle temporarily but i still hated the torsion springs...on top of that, i found out mcmaster car would no longer ship to Canada so i was kinda SOL

i recently got off my *** and started to do some research of my own to figure out what other parts would work for the trunk spring mod. local automotive shops sold gas shocks but their parts didn't have the necessary stroke or lengths i needed...other shops wanted way too much money for the parts. i ended up finding a local guy that sold and serviced gas struts for a living. his entire buisiness was just gas struts..

this guy is totally awesome...he really knew his stuff and was very willing to help when i encountered problems. on top of that, his prices were totally reasonable. he also does custom valving because he services struts too. he offered to revalve mine to add more damping. more damping is great because it would allow me to keep the same lb force spec while making the trunk lid move more slowly to prevent it from boucing off of the bump stop.

i'll post more info w/ part numbers after my install is finalized...hopefully this will help the guys in Canada obtain parts since mcmaster won't ship to us anymore.
So have you done?....
Old 04-01-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colourwolf
So have you done?....
Also waiting on the reference to the Canadian parts. McMaster canceled my order to Canada in 2006 and now (3 years later) I just emailed them again to see if they changed their minds. I can't find them for the same price locally anywhere.
Old 04-01-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Just got the denial email reply, they still won't ship to Canada. Any of the old school members here want to provide me their shipping address so I can have this shipped to them and then you ship it to me? Got to be a regular member I know and trust with $50.
Old 06-04-2009
Registered!!

thenewdiabolic is an unknown quantity at this point

im quite interested in doing this, but when i view the beginning of the thread, none of the pics show up with the actual DIY, just a little box with a question mark in it. any way to get those pics back up?
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

yes. the pics dont work. i wana do this too as the suports for the trunk lid tourtion bars are bending and the center one broke from the subs. besides w/o those damn bars i can finaly get some diecent 6x9 speakers that will fit!
Old 06-09-2009

I saved this (and all of Grey's other DIYs) to a word .doc way back in the day.

Here are the pictures in order. There were seven of them. If any of the ghost mods are still around, feel free to use my hosting to put them back in Grey's original post.

Name:  Picture1-3.jpg
Views: 3794
Size:  62.6 KB

Name:  Picture2.jpg
Views: 3347
Size:  35.7 KB

Name:  Picture3.jpg
Views: 3539
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  Picture4.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  Picture6.jpg
Views: 5330
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  Picture7.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  25.8 KB
Old 06-09-2009
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

Speedfoos FTW once again
Old 06-09-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by speedfoos' signature
There's a good chance that I'm not going to answer your PM.
You better!
Old 08-15-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

So here's what I spent the day doing:
- move all required tools from basement to garage
- have a beer
- forgot laptop. Go get it so I can read the trunk shock DIY.
- grab a drill bit, drill a hole, crack off the drill bit because it's too thin.
- get a bigger drill bit, try again
- drill 3 holes to mount ball plate.
- get bigger drill bit to drill pilot hole for tap
- drill's dead, look for something else to do for 5 hours while it recharges.
- have a beer
- reinstall car computer with new parts you just got
- realize you're still missing parts, can't install computer
- while waiting for drill to charge and computer store to open, get 6x9 speakers to install
- try to remove rear deck from car.
- too hard, look up DIY on civicforums.com
- remove all interior panels from rear of car. Remove rear seats. Remove speakers.
- Too tired to continue, go inside, have a beer.

Holy crap, my car's all over the garage and I got nothing accomplished. Hopefully I'll get the trunk shocks finished up tomorrow after the drill's charged.
Old 08-16-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the wonderfull world of honda! have to remove 2 tons of crap to get to the part u need to address! LOL.
Old 08-16-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

haha, drilled a hole too far back and had to drill another one. I got them installed though. I left the trunk springs in originally and when I opened the trunk it shot up like a catapult with the 50 pound shocks. So I pulled out the springs, almost breaking my hands in the process, and now when I open the trunk it raises up nice and slow on its own. I like these!

EDIT - And a huuuuuuuuge thanks to Speedfoos for letting me ship 2 of these kits to him and then shipping them up to Canada for me. Stupid McMaster-Carr doesn't ship to Canada. Thanks a pile, dude.

EDIT 2 - I just realized when I put the custom trunk enclosure I built back into the trunk, my subwoofer won't fit snug up against the trunk arm on the right side because the air shock is there. FUUUUUUUUUUUU$@#%^*&*&^%$#%^&%$#@#@!!#$^*!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Last edited by DeX; 08-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2009

No probs man. McMaster Carr won't ship to anywhere but CONUS and via Fedex. Bastards.
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

I know this is an old thread, I don't care because it doesn't answer my question. Yes I did search though....
I am guessing there is two struts? One per side.... Also does anyone have a definitive answer what lb springs to use. I am getting extremely sick of opening my trunk with a key two or three times to get a couple things out of the trunk because it keeps slamming back down and closing... The torsion springs are there, they are just weak.
Old 01-12-2012
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a pair of 50 pound struts on mine. About 2 pounds of vibration damper and no spoiler. Some of it will depend on exactly where you mount them.
Old 07-11-2013
Registered!!

mdawg is on a distinguished road

Just giving this thread some life since I think it's still relevant and I actually just did mine today! I have a factory spoiler on mine and the 50lb shocks worked just fine! I did have to redrill a few times to get the placement right but once I figured it out it took me about 5 minutes to do the other side. Thanks for the DIY!
Old 07-12-2013
Registered!!

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine are still going strong after 7 years. Worthwhile modification.
Old 07-11-2014
Registered!!

Red_Chaos1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is going to be something I'll be doing in the near-ish future. I had to use the spacers that came with my Polk Audio db691's to lift them up enough to clear those damn torsion bars (well, on the passenger side anyway, so I did it on both), which meant I had to use the screws that came with them instead of the stock ones. Left sharp screw tips sticking a fair ways up, probably contributed to why the deck was a bitch to get back in and the 4 rearward white panel pops kept coming out, etc. Deck currently is sitting with only the forward 3 in place. Changing to these shocks would allow me to remove the spacers and use the OEM bolts.
Old 01-06-2020
Registered!!

Klayton Fink is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey where are the pictures that go along with this? They’re not showing up for me
Old 01-07-2020
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Klayton Fink
Hey where are the pictures that go along with this? They’re not showing up for me
I updated the original post from images posted by speedfoos in post #223. 1 image was missing but the order should be correct.