DIY: Trunk Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMBFC is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are gonna be working back there, i would just remove the springs, be careful as one of the members bleed from this DIY!
Old 12-19-2003
Bodacious Member

jwalker87 is an unknown quantity at this point
theres a trunk spring removal tool; its in the first post of this thread. Only like $5, and if you have to take the springs out, a good investment i'd say.
Old 12-20-2003
Registered!!

nunzio42 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been looking for this diy for the longest time now,
Old 12-20-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
can we use the same shocks for hood??? 100# shock maybe??

i know ALLMAN did the hood struts ... i want to know anyone else did the hood struts?????

GREY ... could you make a DIY for hood sturts ...........
Old 12-21-2003
Bodacious Member

that would be pimpin...my mom's saab has gas shocks for the hood, and its reeeeal nice.
Old 12-23-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I'll probably make a set for my carbon fiber front hood. I don't have the time lately though. I'll get on it in a month or so...
Old 12-24-2003
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey grey, where did you get those deeper trunk springs??
Old 12-24-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i must be stupid, but i couldnt figure out where to attach mine...so my trunk doesnt open up alllll they way, just most of the way..how'd you guys manage to do that?
Old 12-25-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by asianmatrix02
hey grey, where did you get those deeper trunk springs??
I made them. hehe... I have them for sale now though, 'cause I use the stronger shocks now.
Old 12-25-2003
Bodacious Member

about the mounting points; you just have to mess around. make a cardboard cutout of your shock as it looks when it is closed, then close yourself in the trunk with that and a flashlight (theres an internal release on our trunks; dont worry). Mark, when the trunk is open, where the extended shock could go, and then close it and find a place where the shock is fully extended when open; it doesnt have to be fully depressed when closed. Mine is neither fully depressed nor fully extended ever, so I get the maximum travel from my trunk. Its just a trial and error thing; that is by far the most time consuming part of this DIY.
Old 12-26-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
pics of your mounting locations!!!
Old 12-26-2003
Registered!!

kafyn722 is an unknown quantity at this point
for me it was just trial and error. and it turned out crazy cool.
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

Stephon314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for all your help Grey. I've just finished my setup with 30lbs shocks. My ride has factory spoiler and I decided not to take off the trunk springs. It seems like the shocks are still TOO POWERFUL! I just contacted McMaster.com and request for an exchange. They didn't ask anything and told me just ship the wrong ones back to them. Guess what? At the same time they already shipped another set with 15lbs force to me! Best customer serive ever!=) Anyway, I will post the result with 15lbs as soon as I receive them tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2004
Show me your titties, I'M RICK JAMES BITCH!!!

SilverStreakEX is an unknown quantity at this point
cool keep us posted, i wanna do this, i have a stock spoiler and want to know how many lbs to use. thanx
Old 02-26-2004
YS
Registered!!

man .... i allready bought everything for the DIY ... the porblem is i don't have time ... now i don't know if i'm gonna do it or not
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

"cool keep us posted, i wanna do this, i have a stock spoiler and want to know how many lbs to use. thanx"
Definitely will do. The lowest shocks they have are 15lbs, or I would have to take the trunk springs off and install the 50lbs ones which I don't want to. The reason I want to leave the springs there is in case if the shocks are broken somehow. At least with springs it wouldn't hit me for sure... Shocks with 15lbs force is expected to arrive tomorrow, so I will have update by then.

"man .... i allready bought everything for the DIY ... the porblem is i don't have time ... now i don't know if i'm gonna do it or not"
You will have time when you feel like doing it. =) I bought mine around the end of last November and waited until today. Where in California are you in? I would say don't change your mind since you've decided to purchase them.
Old 02-26-2004
YS
Registered!!

i lived in near Long Beach .... wanna help???
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

I should be able to help you after Spring break cuz I can't flunk my classes this quarter... I'm in San Diego if you don't mind driving down? By the way where did you get the "limited edition" emblem? Looks really unique!

Last edited by Stephon314; 02-26-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-26-2004
YS
Registered!!

san diego??? .... i can go down there and after that i can go visit my buddy in san diego too ....

btw ... when's spring break???
Old 02-26-2004
YS
Registered!!

and also can you do DIY cleared OEM headlight??
Old 02-26-2004
Registered!!

It ends around the 29th I believe, so let me know anytime after the 29th. I've never done a DIY cleared headlights cuz I bought mine.
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

Ok everyone here we go! I got the 15lb shocks today and I replaced the 30lbs ones with these immediately. The result turned out to be great!!!=) 15lbs is the way to go! If there were 10lbs ones I would go for it but too bad the lowest was 15lbs.

The reason that I still want to go for lower ones is because that the trunk lid would shake after poping out. I was thinking maybe I could put something on both sides of the hinge so it would become better. Actually I'm going to see if I have something and go ahead to give a try now since it's getting dark. I will come back and keep you guys updated. By the way if you have any questions or if you want to see a short video clip with these shocks I will do it. So just ask!
Old 02-27-2004
Registered!!

Updates here. I couldn't find anything that fits on the hinges properly at this time and it's getting too dark already. I might just wait for a few weeks or so and see if the shocks would get weaken according to the other member who mentioned. "It's now been two months after I installed them. They're still holding up fine, but have weakened a little bit."

It would be perfect if it gets weaken later, in fact I'm sure it will because my bro's EK9 hatch is having problem opening the hatch all the way already and his car is 99. I'm fine with everything now, and it's just that I want my trunk to open like these hoods with stock hydraulic shocks from V6 cars. I've took some pictures and video clips to show how it opens, so just email me at Stephon314@AOL.COM and ask for them.=)
Old 02-28-2004
Registered!!

ELaudio is an unknown quantity at this point
I definitely need to do this mod. I have some dynamat installed on my trunk lid and it weighs it down quite a bit... Only wish I had more time, have a list of like 4 DIYs I want to do to my car first.
Old 03-03-2004
Registered!!

chiillykid75 is an unknown quantity at this point
GREY -(the god of trunk)- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I owe ya one

just did this mod to my car, nearly took out my eye with those damn OEM trunk springs, unfortunately i measured once and drilled twice MEASURE MEASURE MEASURE

finally after like two hours both sides are done and now its time for the 6x9s

thanks again Grey
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

CHIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Grey for all the info. I ordered all the parts from McMaster and they arrived yesterday. We should be doing the install within the next few weeks. I will take some pictures and let you guys know how we make out.
Thanks for all the information from everybody, you guys all rock
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

Just some more updates here
1. You don't need to remove the stock trunk springs to install the shocks even if you decided to go for some 6X9 large speakers. Just measure it right, drill holes first, and then you can go ahead to take the springs off. That way you don't have to find someone or some ropes to make sure that the trunk would fall on you. I was hit when I was installing spoiler wing on my girlfriend's Accord and I bet you guys don't wanna try that...

2. McMaster.com has a really excellent return/exchange policy, so feel confident about your purchase. If you want refund, just ship the items you want back to them no matter if they are new or used and they would issue immediate credit. If you got the shocks with wrong power, just email them first and they would ship another set "BEFORE" you ship yours back to them! I've had experience so I can guarantee about it!=)

I took some pictures of my set up but they all look like the picture from Grey. So I decided not to post them up, but if you guys wanna see a short clip about how the trunk would open just hit me at Stephon314@AOL.COM. Still trying to find something that I can put on the trunk hinge so the trunk wouldn't shake after opening...
Old 03-12-2004
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by CHIC
Thanks Grey for all the info. I ordered all the parts from McMaster and they arrived yesterday. We should be doing the install within the next few weeks. I will take some pictures and let you guys know how we make out.
Thanks for all the information from everybody, you guys all rock

Yeah thanks guys, she got it for me, this is my B-Day present. (Sssshhhhhhh, I am not susposed to know, he he)

Got it yesterday and it looks sweet, everything included as well as it was shipped from McMaster in 3 days, and that is to Canada.

We should be putting this on in a few weeks, I will take pics.

Crashoveride
Old 03-17-2004

edicivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, thanks for the DIY, and my forehead thanks you. (it was getting tired of proping up the trunk lid)

Stephon314, thanks for emailing me the video of your trunk in action. It looks just like mine, except i dont have the remote trunk release.

Here is what i got. I have a 2001 civic sedan, no spoiler. I kept the stock torsion spring and installed the mcMaster 15lb. shocks, one on each trunk hinge as shown in the DIY. Depending on the demand i can post a pic. I think it is great, when i release the trunk the lid pops open and bounces a little, but i dont mind. When measuring the mounting positions of the shock, i left them fully extended and opened the trunk. then i eyeballed the general location for each end, and then drilled and tapped the first mount (the one in the trunk under the back window sill.) When finished with that mount, then i lifted the other end of the shock to the open trunk arm and eyeballed another spot about 1/8 inch closer to the front of the car (therefore when trunk is fully open the shock will NEVER fully extend, == constant force on the trunk hinge.) I drilled and tapped that hole, secured the ball joint, [ applied Liquid Wrench to the threads of each ball joint ], and wala when I secured both of the shocks it worked perfectly.

This feature will be impressive at the time i have to sell this civic.
Old 03-21-2004
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
wow...well then...the trunk removal tool is now $14.95...

Quick Reply: DIY: Trunk Shocks