DIY: Custom Pedals

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
DIY: Custom Pedals

Allright, it's time for another DIY! Not too long ago I finished my custom aluminum pedals. I modeled them after the Mugen Aluminum Racing Pedals. They cost $168.78 plus S&H from inlinefour.com. Mine only cost me about $10. Although after some re-thinking of what I did I could have had them for even less.

First off, the materials... I bought a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum from mcmaster.com. You'll need a 6" x 6" piece for my design, but if you go with a different design you may need a larger piece. I also bought some stainless steel screws from the same place. They have a recessed head, so they will hide nicely when making a countersunk hole for them.

First off you'll have to D/L the design (pedals.wmf). I saved it as a WMF (Windows Meta File). It should open in any Windows browser, but I would use a program that is able to print things to scale to print out this design. You'll need to open this design and print it out. Then you'll need to cut out each pedal. You don't have to cut it out right next to the lines, but it helps.

Now, you'll have to glue the cut out pedals onto the aluminum. I used spray adhesive, but I guess you could use almost anything. Just make sure it stays on, you don't want the pattern to slip around. Then I used a drill press to cut out the various holes. You'll have to match up the drill bits to the screws you have and the holes you want. This can all be done with a hand-held drill. Actually, I reccomend it, because getting the drill bit to line up perfectly with the pattern is harder to do with the drill press (at least for me).

Now you'll have to drill out the countersunk portions of the pattern. You'll need to countersink all of the holes. Just make sure that the heads of the screws you'll use will hide all the way. I used a drill bit that's not really that accurate. It produced these rough edges. I would reccomend buying a countersinking bit that's made specifically for aluminum (if such a bit exists). I took the cheap way out; I used what I had.

Now it's time to cut out the pedals. I did the gas pedal first, but in hindsite I should have done all of them at once. You'll save time when you don't switch betwean tools so often. I used a Jig saw to do this step. This is a big time saver. I am pretty good with that thing, so I could cut out the pedals rather precisely and save time on taking out the rough edges later on.

If you did a good job on the last step you'll barely have any work to do with this step. Simply clamp down the piece and file the edges to match the pattern. If you go over, then that's okay. You don't have to match it up to the pattern perfectly. Just make sure you make the edges smooth and have them flow well (i.e. no jagged edges, or lumps, or dimples).

Now, the spray adhesive that I used has a good property to it. It can be easily removed. Just use something like Goo-B-Gone, or Goof-Off to remove the pattern. Then sand each piece. I used an orbital sander. Again, a huge time saver. I cut the piece on a piece of sand paper, so that it wouldn't slip around. Then I just sanded it using the orbital sander, checking on the piece from time to time for uneven sanding. You'll want to turn the piece around as you sand, so that you get an even sanding.

Now, the countersunk holes I made earlier were jagged (sorry, no pic). They look prettty good in this picture though, huh?

This is what I made to take care of that jagged edge syndrome. I actually made a sanding bit out of a wooden dowel rod. I used a grinder to make the end smaller. I also used it to make the conical tip. Then I cut out a piece of sand paper and glued it onto the tip. Viola! I had to change the sandpaper on the tip a couple of times before I finished evening out those jagged edges though. Again, if you have a countersinking bit made specifically for aluminum, then you'll save a ton of time by not having to so this step.

This is how I shaped each pedal to fit the stock pedals. You'll need to experiment to shape these suckers. I used a block of wood and an anvil and some clamps. I also used this metal pole and clamps and that block of wood. You'll basically have to affix the pedals to something stiff and pound on them with something to get them to bend. I used a block of wood to not damage the pedal. You'll need to check the shape against the stock pedals occasionly to see if you're on the right track.

After bending the pedals to shape give them a good coat of clear paint. I used Crystal Clear Enamel by Rust-Oleum. Good stuff, dries really hard. The surface looked kinda rough after using this stuff. I liked it though, more grip! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

There you go! The finished product.

Now, for the brake and clutch pedals you'll need to print yourself out the dark part of the pattern. I also enlarged it slightly vertically so as to account for the curved pedals. Remember to print it out as a mirror image, because it will be going on the back of the sandpaper. You'll stick it on with spray adhesive, or anything else you have that sticks on well and comes off rather easily. I used belt sanded sand paper (something I had lying around) and sheet metal scissors to cut out the pattern. I also used super glue on the edges so that they wouldn't fray. We'll attach them to the pedals later on using the spray adhesive.

What I did to attach the aluminum pedals to the stock ones was to drill and tap holes for the screws, although I would reccomend a different approach. First, take off the stock rubber pedals. Then line everything up and mark the holes with something like a whiteout pen. Then drill the holes and attach the pedal using those small screws and bolts in back. That's what I would have done in hindsite. Much easier, and you don't have to spend the money on the tap. Oh yeah, I used the motor oil as a cutting oil for the tap (in case you're wondering).

Nice shot of the pedals and the door sills.

Closeup shot. Lookin' good!

Another shot. I'm really happy with the way these came out.
Old 08-11-2002
The dog told me to do it

Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey... Those look really nice. Especially since you did it yourself.

Here's a question... Do most of the pedals on the market just work over the stock rubber pedals, or are they full replacements?
Old 08-11-2002
DIY King

They go over the rubber pedals. They're clip-on's. They work allright, but I wanted full replacements and I wanted this design. I don't see many functional designs out there either. Mostly showing off some brand, or very flashy, or totally off the wall.
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

civicjunkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, those pedals look really good, i want to make some too.... can't wait to start.... let ya know how it turns out
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRiceBoi is an unknown quantity at this point
very nice grey they turned out alot better than i would ever think, good job man im proud of ya. Good DIY too, maybe Greyis the new king of diy.....eh ALLMAN? where you at? lol j/p
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DcatStylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Good lookin, Grey! However, I woulda put on some neon green deck tape, personally.
Old 08-11-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
thoes look great , make about 10 more and then raffle them off , i know ill buy tickets!
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

Ashock is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW!! That like totally rocks! It looks really really good. You could start a business Grey! Too bad I don't have any of those powertools, so I guess it's not really a cost saver for me.

Great job once again!
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

OverTheTop is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll take a set!!!!
Old 08-11-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
dude... that rocks! i wish i had those tools on hand...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-11-2002
DIY King

Thanks guys. You don't really need all of those tools though. You can do it with just a drill, a file, and a hack saw. Then some sand paper and some car wax. That's about it. For the glues you can just use wood glue, or rubber cement, or hot glue. Hell, anything will work. For the grippy stuff you can use skateboard tape, sandpaper, belt sander paper, anything. The main point of this DIY (if you read betwean the lines) is to use what you've got.
Old 08-12-2002
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm really impressed, that's some nice work!
Old 08-12-2002
Registered!!

enzymes is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't exactlly understand how you got those nice cone holes on the gas pedal. Lil' help? It looks really really nice, I think I'll make my own soon.
Old 08-12-2002
Registered!!

PhAtTysSiVi is an unknown quantity at this point
They look great grey. Thanx for ur sharing with the rest of us
I think I know what I'll be doing my next day off
Old 08-12-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I don't think people are gonna try the DIY, haha the equipment costs too much.. GREY YOU ARE THE DIY GOD!!! make me some my auto yea??
Old 08-12-2002
Registered!!

PoopyRay is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey, your peddles kick ***!! and thanks for opening my eyes to what can be done, my father owns a mil and lathe and all kindsa power tools, big bansaws, weilders and plasma cutters, and he is his only employee, so the shop is always open to me [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2002
Registered!!

2001CIVICLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you take a pic from the back side of the pedals? (in the car with your DIY pedals on)

I just want to see how they look from the back.
Old 08-12-2002

liquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trustedliquidblue should not be trusted
damn, if i didn't already have pedals, i'd pay you to make me something matching for my auto. oh well, i'll just have to suggest that to a couple people.

edit: almost forgot

grey grey grey grey
grey grey grey grey
grey grey grey grey
grey grey grey grey
Old 08-12-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: enzymes
I don't exactlly understand how you got those nice cone holes on the gas pedal. Lil' help? It looks really really nice, I think I'll make my own soon.[hr]
Well, first you drill a pilot hole. I think I used a drill bit a little larger than 1/8th. Then you use a countersinking bit. It's capable of cutting conical holes. I had one that's meant for wood though, so it sucks! It left jagged edges. What I had to do was to make my own conical sanding bit (the wooden one in the DIY). Then I used that to remove the jagged edges. I would reccomend buying a counersinking bit that's meant for aluminum. That would save you time and you would acheive even better results than I did. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

[hr]Originally posted by: 2001CIVICLX
Could you take a pic from the back side of the pedals? (in the car with your DIY pedals on)

I just want to see how they look from the back.[hr]

Old 08-12-2002
00 Hatchback Owner

Gryphin is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey you should make more for us who suck with power tools like me i almost cut my finger off trying to make thoes stupid i know but i gave up after that so make some more !!!!!!!!!!!! Gray
Old 08-12-2002
DIY King

I'm sorry, I can't. Well, I can. I just don't have the time. It took me about 15 hours straight to make these pedals. I guess I could cut that down to about 10 hours with practice. I get paid $8 an hour. Would you be willing to pay me $80 for these pedals? If not, then how much would you be willing to pay me? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
i'll give you an hour with my mom alone in your bedroom. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2002
DIY King

Hmm... ::thinking::

Nah, no deal. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-13-2002
Wicked Pissah Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
These pedals are even nicer in person. He spent a ton of time on them, and they show it. The feel on them are great, they are grippy as hell, and have a VERY professional look to them. Great job Grey!!!! I think you should sell them as the "Ferrari of Pedals".........
Old 08-13-2002
DIY King

Hehe, thanks. Yeah, I kinda wanted something nice. Plus I think that the "interface" to your car should be the very first thing to modify and get right. Sort of like with a computer. The keyboard and mouse. If you aren't comfortable, then using something sucks!
Old 08-14-2002
Registered!!

MadCat is an unknown quantity at this point
Grey(not like you haven't heard it enough) but you are F*ing great
Old 08-15-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
Hmm... ::thinking::

Nah, no deal. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG][hr]
alright, 2 hours..
Old 07-08-2003
Registered!!

Stone is an unknown quantity at this point
GREY : What did you use to cut out the design from the sheet?
Old 07-08-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
this is what i got ......... DIY Foot rest / Dead Pedal to match the RAZO Pedals
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	int5.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	4658  
Old 07-08-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
heres mine

drilling was BITCH.

Quick Reply: DIY: Custom Pedals