DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!

Old 11-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02Hondadx is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!

Here are some pictures of my door panel re-fabric laying project... comments are appreciated It took me a day and half, only because the original spray adhesive i purchased did not hold up very well (3m adhesive spray) it laid too wet for my fabric i choose, so i purchased a can of Elmer's Spray Glue. This glue sprayed down very well (a mist) which was easy to work with. Thanks to the other post in this forum, i was able to accomplish this task fairly easy since i saw ahead of time what i was up against. The first panel i did was the pass side. The driver side was much easier, and was able to complete in 1/2 the time.

Last edited by 02Hondadx; 11-23-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2009
Registered!!

Old 11-23-2009
Registered!!

Sorry about the pictures. Not sure why they are not showing up. Iam working to fix this asap
Old 11-26-2009
Registered!!

Here you guys go... Just click the link since the thumbs didnt show up for some reason.

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/y...er84/?newest=1

Tell me what you think...Feel free to look at the other pics as well
Old 11-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Looks good, pretty clean.
Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Looks good, pretty clean.
Thanks ...
Old 11-30-2009
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

Good job.
Old 01-23-2010
Registered!!

shift89 is an unknown quantity at this point

How much did all that run u?
Old 01-23-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

depends what fabric you want. i spent around $20 on the double sided tape (5 rolls) and $15 on grey suede fabric from joannes. thats really all you need. or spray glue instead of tape but you cant use spray glue on thin fabric or it will bleed right thru.
Old 03-24-2010
Registered!!

loboelprofugo is an unknown quantity at this point

i used 3m 77 and it work perfectly....heres some pics...mad easy...

Name:  24779_428837100184_504890184_557334.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  24779_428836760184_504890184_557334.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  24779_428836150184_504890184_557334.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  37.5 KB
Old 03-25-2010
Registered!!

mkkuntz8 is an unknown quantity at this point

how much fabric is needed to cover the driver and passenger doors?
Old 03-26-2010
Registered!!

loboelprofugo is an unknown quantity at this point

if you know what your doing bout 1yard. i got one yard still have enough to make 2 more for the front doors.
Old 03-26-2010
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gearbox
depends what fabric you want. i spent around $20 on the double sided tape (5 rolls) and $15 on grey suede fabric from joannes. thats really all you need. or spray glue instead of tape but you cant use spray glue on thin fabric or it will bleed right thru.
It's fine if you follow the directions properly. Most people spray the glue and try to lay the fabric right away but if you read the can it'll tell you to let the glue dry for a minute so it becomes tacky. Then lay the fabric on and it won't bleed. Mine worked great with 3M 77.
Old 03-26-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my suede was very thin and porous with no real backing, and waiting for the spray glue to tack up did not help. it still got ruined.
Old 04-02-2010
Registered!!

thanks for all the info heres how it turned out.

By mkkuntz8

By mkkuntz8
Old 05-12-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all
Smile Re: DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!

man.. i wish i could do this.. im scared im going to ruin it though. i have a navy color civic, and this would look PERFECT in it. the fabric on the door panel on the pass. side is starting to peel back :-/ stupid question im sure, but can this be done with the door on the car? as far as not having to remove the whole thing? i just dont wanna screw somethin up, then be stuck cuz i cant get it back on.. any advice helps! thanx
Old 05-26-2011
Registered!!

chaingang54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, how's everyone doing. I bought my 2005 Honda Civic LX SE 2 weeks ago and the panel fabric was coming apart so I decided to take on this project. I actually put on the new fabric without taking the door apart, only the window lock section. Both doors and the middle armrest took 3 hours, not bad if you ask me.

Old 05-28-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

they look awesome! how did you do this with the doors on? I'm seriously considering this now..
Old 05-28-2011
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

looking good guys!
Old 05-29-2011
Registered!!

chaingang54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by civicchick2001
they look awesome! how did you do this with the doors on? I'm seriously considering this now..
It was actually extremely easy, and this is considering I'm 17 years old and was able to do this without a problem.

First of all, photo credits go to: EggRollBandit05, I just edited them.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX SE, so I'm not sure if your car will be the same, but I'll tell you how I did it.

I removed the screw from the power window handle, which is covered by a small plastic piece that you can just lift with your figures.

After that I pried it open, and exposed the cables, and disconnected the window power connector, and put the cover aside.

Now there is also a second plastic piece behind the power connector that just lifts up, so lift it and put it aside.

Now there are 2 screws where the power connector is, so I removed them also.

Then I popped the plastic piece that the connector is on just enough to be able to take the old fabric out and put the new one on. Should be 3 plastic pieces, you need force and actually have to break the pieces that hold it, but don't worry, a little crazy glue and it's good as new.

Then I glued on the new fabric with M3 and slowly put it on, and got no wrinkles

Then I put everything back on.
Old 05-29-2011
CivicChick2001

sweet! thanks for the help! I'm gonna take a look at mine tomorrow. i have a 2001 ex, so hopefully everything is the same as this. I went to JoAnn's yesterday and looked at fabric, and i couldnt decide between black or navy. And the micro-suede was very very thin. there was some other form of suede beside it, not real, but thicker. But of course, stuck on the color to get now. Might have to look online bc they didnt have the exact shade of blue i wanted. more like a purpley-blue. might just roll with black.

but thank you again, this really helps! ill let ya know and take pics when i end up doin it!
Old 05-29-2011
CivicChick2001

one more question. i understand how to lay down the fabric with the glue and what-not but how do you tuck the edges down to make em smooth? everyone's here look so good..do you just cut off the excess? or do u actually tuck it?
Old 05-29-2011
Premium Member

you have to tuck it with a flat head screwdriver. there are grooves around the edge for tucking the fabric.
Old 05-30-2011
CivicChick2001

sweet. thanks for the help. i think im gonna try this soon. i had to look online for fabric though cuz JoAnn's just didnt have what i was lookin for. As far as the fabric goes though, from everyone's experience, is it better to use thinner? or thicker? i would assume thicker, but that might be wrong. i definetly want microsuede, but theres about 3 levels of thickness u can get..

any advice from those who've done this?
Old 05-30-2011
Premium Member

i used thin grey suede for mine and it turned out awesome. you cannot use any type of glue/spray because it eats right thru it. i had to scrape the plastic panel to get the old glue off from the stock fabric, then i used "fabric fuse" tape which is a very sticky double sided tape from walmart sewing section. its pretty much like sticky glue on a roll and once you put it down, it will not come up in whole pieces. but it stuck very well to fabric and plastic. i made the mistake of using regular fabric mending tape the first time and it peeled off after a few months. the fuse tape has been holding the front fabric for almost a year no problem. the rear doors still have the old tape which i need to redo sometime, but its not bad enough for me to care yet i can take a pic tomorrow. its very soft stuff and changes colors when you rub it in different directions.

oh and if you get delicate fabric and its wrinkled (pretty much they all are) you can use a steam iron held about an inch above the suede to make it smooth. if you touch the iron to the suede even for a second, it will be ruined so get a lil extra. also the suede is kinda stretchy so be sure to cut it the right size. you can always trim it if you find that its too big after laying some of it down.

Last edited by gearbox; 05-30-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2011
CivicChick2001

cool Thanks so much for helpin out.. I am most likely going to leave the doors on to do this.. and was worried about the whole spray glue stuff others were using. i think tape, as long as its thin, is the best option if your leaving the doors on. I'm assuming you layed the tape out everywhere right? not just here and there?

Also, after looking at a few shades of blue, I think that is going to be my color. Black would just blend too much into the dash and what not. I just hope the blue looks clean and fresh and slick like everyone else's.. lol.. kinda nervous, but really, anything looks better than that junk they put in there to begin with. I dont know who designs some of the stuff in cars, but I dont know what they are thinkin at the time. Anyways, thanks again for helpin out.
Old 05-31-2011
Premium Member

the tape is very thin like paper and you have to lay it completely over the panel. i did strips going across and cut off the excess on the round edges.
Old 05-31-2011
Registered!!

I used the 3M-77 spray adhesive if I remember correctly with the thin micro suede. Everything turned out great, I just had to be very careful with the spray so it wouldn't bleed.
Old 05-31-2011
CivicChick2001

Originally Posted by gearbox
the tape is very thin like paper and you have to lay it completely over the panel. i did strips going across and cut off the excess on the round edges.
k i think this would be best. considering that im not taking the door off to do this. I'm gonna stop by JoAnn's again soon and see if they got any more micro suede colors in.. do you think they have that type of tape there? i'll check it out when i go anyways, but just wondering if you knew..

i cant wait to start! im gettin excited about it now
Old 05-31-2011
Premium Member

walmart is the only place i know that carries it. do you have a 2001 civic? cause there is no way you can do it on the car. 06+ i think is possible to do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!