DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough
Re: DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!

triz yo **** is tight and this guy had a great idea with the back

Originally Posted by booba5185
Ive been trying this for a few years, lol i live in AZ so the summers kill the glue, i even tried doin the back, but that failed too god i hate the heat.

I'm actually trying again today,but my car's interior isn't red anymore, it's silver. So i'm using a silver vinyl. I'll post pics when i'm done
Old 02-06-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light

Got a few questions. I've been reading up on the chemicals you (TRIZ) and another guy from http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/SSIIDI.html used to attach the suede to the door panel.

According to WELDWOOD CONTACT ADHESIVE you need to spray it on as it is a water substance and wiping it on will apply too much and won't stick well. Dry time is 75 hours if you want it to handle properly in high temps and applying it, temps have to be 60F above.

Why do you use WELDWOOD CONTACT ADHESIVE and 3M Adhesive spray together? That seems redundant.

When you used the 3M adhesive you said you have 30 seconds to put it on before it dries. According to the website 3M says spray on both pieces to be attached together and wait for 30 seconds then apply it. You applied it them together under 30 seconds and didn't put on both applications. why?

Take a look at this video they show you how to do it.
Video how to use spray
if that link doesn't work click here:
Click Me
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I used the spray adhesive for my door panels. I had used contact adhesive for my headliner, and that stuff held for maybe a month or two. Crap in my opinion, although I wasnt using that brand, but I was using DAP or DAT or whatever it was.

The larger images are all broken links on that DIY. From the looks of the tumbnails though, he is using a thicker fabric. With microsuede it is much much much thinner, and therefore it will absorb the glue and will bleed through the fabric, botching the project. I only sprayed the door panel, spraying more would be over kill and result in bleed through.

If you want to use a thicker fabric, spray both with 77. I guess if you wanted to use the WELDWOOD stuff as well (assuming you have a very heavy fabric) then that would be great as well, assuming it doesnt bleed through the fabric.
Old 02-06-2008
Registered!!

civic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond reputecivic-driver has a reputation beyond repute

can i see some pics of the headliner with micro suede? this might be a cool project for this summer.my door panel fabric has been falling off for about a year now. i might as well do both. im thinking black microsuede on black interior on my black sedan. i have a book on car interiors at my house. im trying to think what it would look like with some backing in there and if it would help with the sticking issues and the bleeding through.
Old 02-06-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Originally Posted by civic-driver
can i see some pics of the headliner with micro suede? this might be a cool project for this summer.my door panel fabric has been falling off for about a year now. i might as well do both. im thinking black microsuede on black interior on my black sedan. i have a book on car interiors at my house. im trying to think what it would look like with some backing in there and if it would help with the sticking issues and the bleeding through.
There are pics in these two posts of mine.
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4131734
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/7...ml#post4138898
The thread they are in is about a custom headliner, duh, but there is also info in there about doing your mirrors whatever color too, although we never figured out a good way to do this with the stock stuff- trip to home depot needed.

BTW, a brand new headliner is 140 bucks from majestic. Keep that in mind. I have mine stripped. I was going to CF it, but I'm thinking their will be too much echo in the car and not enough dampening. We'll see. Maybe i'll just CF it, see how it looks inside, and then sell it and grab a new one from the junk yard.

Last edited by TRIZ; 02-06-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2008
Banned

user 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of lightuser 92982 is a glorious beacon of light

triz is that just microsuede?

do you know where to find alcantara suede? it's uv protected and stronger lasting.

Where did you go to buy your suede?
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

What up new to the form. Just showin off this they were done about 6 months ago. Didnt quite do it like that, instead i work at a cabniet shop and we have a spray glue gun systen much easier. But lovley work though. Props.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	doorpanel.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	73699  

Last edited by twiztedD17A1; 03-26-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-26-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by oddmut
triz is that just microsuede?

do you know where to find alcantara suede? it's uv protected and stronger lasting.

Where did you go to buy your suede?
Jo-anns for the win. I never heard of alcantara suede. I have had them on for hmm... a year now? And I dont see any signs of fading whatsoever. Since the are verticle on the inside of the door panel, no sun really hits them. And up its just microsuede.

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1
What up new to the form. Just showin off this they were done about 6 months ago. Didnt quite do it like that, instead i work at a cabniet shop and we have a spray glue gun systen much easier. But lovley work though. Props.
looks pretty sick. Got pics of the spray glue gun and details on what kind of glue mixture it is?
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

yea ill get the detals tommrow when i go to work and some pics for ya and yea its micro-suede na we have a G-Street fabrics 2 level store HUGE

Last edited by twiztedD17A1; 02-26-2008 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add on
Old 02-27-2008
Premium Member

What? ^ english/grammar check please
Old 02-27-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

yea ill get the detals tommrow when i go to work and some pics for ya and yea its micro-suede na we have a G-Street fabrics 2 level store HUGE

TRANSLATED:

Yeah, I'll get the details tomorrow when I go to work, and some pics for ya. Yeah, it's microsuede. We have a HUGE 2-level G street fabrics store.

Old 02-27-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Jo-anns for the win. I never heard of alcantara suede. I have had them on for hmm... a year now? And I dont see any signs of fading whatsoever. Since the are verticle on the inside of the door panel, no sun really hits them. And up its just microsuede.
what's the website? or is that a store i dont recall anything.

Alcantara suede is suede that is used in almost every stock car. ep3 seats are made of alcantara suede. A lot more durable. I figured they won't be hit by sun but the fact that behind my head i know it's not the same some what irritates me... alright.
Old 02-27-2008
Premium Member

http://www.joann.com/joann/
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

yea the reply portion does not add some letters COMCAST internet sucks. Anyway while every one is picking on ppl about spelling/grammer and sh*t, we have a wall mounted KREMLIN glue pump, DAP Weldwood contact adhesive 0307 (red) HHR Solvent - spray grade (UPC 70798-04054), Our guns are CA Technologies Tomcats. I operate a Eco-Master 7113 a 3 axis CNC machine with 6 bit tool changer and a Schelling beam saw.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eco.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	73723   Click image for larger version

Name:	sch.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	73724  
Old 02-28-2008
Banned

u used those big machines to do ur door panel?
Old 02-28-2008
Banned

how lame the page aint even working.
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2952

here's alcantara for you.
http://www.alcantara.com/

Last edited by user 92982; 02-28-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2008
Premium Member

WHooo, thoes 3p2 civic type R seats are snazzy!
Old 02-28-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by oddmut
u used those big machines to do ur door panel?
no there for sub boxes and fiberglass templates on my spare time
Old 02-29-2008
Banned

Originally Posted by twiztedD17A1
no there for sub boxes and fiberglass templates on my spare time
oic.

WHooo, thoes 3p2 civic type R seats are snazzy!
who's are you talking about? is it in the link i sent you?

so now you know about alcantara suede.

WHERE CAN I GET?!?! been searching and pming companies. no luck so far.
Old 03-01-2008
Premium Member

Whoops, I ment ep3-R, totaly botched that one, lol. Yeah it was on the site you just linked- click it and then somewhere you can check it out on a honda car and they showed it. Check it out, its pretty hot.

Umm.. I dunno. I'll have to take a look around. I'll let u know what I find.
Old 03-01-2008
Premium Member

I've come across this site: http://edu.cqdx.gov.cn/car/63198.html...
which suggested this site: http://www.gulffabrics.com/

You need to email the guy and ask him for some info on the fabric and how to purchase it from him. They have a list of colors here:
http://www.gulffabrics.com/alccolor.htm

here is the contact information:

Telephone:
813-875-2707
FAX:
813-348-9540
Postal address:
3709 N. Armenia Ave. Tampa, FL 33673-1303
PO Box 7725, Tampa, FL 33607-7725

Electronic mail:
General Information: gulffabrics.com
Sales: gulffab1@aol.com
Old 03-03-2008
Banned

damn don't know how you found that but thanks a lot! i saw the type r seats just now.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

HwNpRyDe_CiViC has a spectacular aura aboutHwNpRyDe_CiViC has a spectacular aura aboutHwNpRyDe_CiViC has a spectacular aura about

where did you guys get your red micro suede from and how much was it a yard???
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

jo anns fabrics, cheap per yard, I dunno- it wasnt expensive, i think it mighta been like 6 bucks, but on sale. Total was like, 25 bucks if that.. cant really remember that far back. Dont be cheap tho- its not really one of those things you shop around for.
Old 05-30-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Ya, it was on sale for me too, I got a square yard for like $7. I bought mine at either JoAnne's or Micheal's.
Old 06-19-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

DIY's like these are why I love this site.

With help from the DIY, removed fabric from passenger door panel yesterday. female broke my attention away from the project and left the old glue on the panel. Today I am going to look for black micro suede fabric right next door to my work. Brand new store go figure huh? Then I will clean the surface and prep for adhesive.

Heads up: For those planning/starting this project like me, Joanne fabrics has suede on sale 50% off. I got a yard x 54", elmers spray adhesive, and elmers rubber cement for a total of $21.62.

Last edited by Tragedy; 06-19-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tragedy
Joanne fabrics has suede on sale 50% off
I think that's a permanent sale, I always see it.
Old 06-19-2008
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DeX
I think that's a permanent sale, I always see it.
Awesome, I will be remembering that.

First layer done, got a small glue spot on it, no worries.

I chose black suede. I chose black because I want a full black interior. The fabric before this was grey, green, and tobacco brown from 6 years of exposure.

Old 06-20-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Originally Posted by Tragedy
Awesome, I will be remembering that.

First layer done, got a small glue spot on it, no worries.

I chose black suede. I chose black because I want a full black interior. The fabric before this was grey, green, and tobacco brown from 6 years of exposure.

You're doing it wrong, you have to take off the handle.
Old 06-20-2008
skate or die

Yea I noticed that, ish happens. it's done now, just drying. Trial and error.

Thanks Triz & Dex.

Last edited by Tragedy; 06-20-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Change the color of your door panels with suede!!