DIY: Automatic To Manual Shift Boot And Knob Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute
DIY: Automatic To Manual Shift Boot And **** Conversion

PERFORMED ON A 2004 HONDA CIVIC EX COUPE

PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS, YOU DO NOT WANT TO CRACK ANY TRIM PIECES OR CLIPS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE

MOMO AUTOMATICO SHIFT **** USED BUT ALL OTHER ***** BASICALLY FOLLOW THE SAME INSTRUCTIONS

IF YOU WANT THE SHIFT BOOT PLEASE PM ME BECAUSE THE LINK EXPIRES QUICKLY, ITS ON EBAY AND DO NOT PURCHASE ANY BOOT YOU SEE, THEY ALL DONT FIT, ILL GIVE YOU THE LINK

ok well i finally got done with the DIY...sorry for the delay i have been really busy with college finals and all. Ok well here it is and if you have any questions you can PM me or post it right here. REP would be much appreciated. Thanks (to rep click on smiley face in the bottom left hand corner of your post and on the after dark backround its the puzzle piece thing next to your username...dont forget to leave you name

#1-First you have to remove the outer trim on the sides of the console that includes the cig lighter piece

#2-once you have both trim pieces in your hand on each side of the console pull them towards you and the cig lighter piece should come out. Unplug the wire that is connected to the cig lighter and any other accesories and remove this piece or just move it over to the side like i did(cup holder lid must be closed to do this)

#3- pry off the black plastic ring around the gearbox(mine has been removed a million times so there is no need for a tool, but you might have to use a flathead screwdriver but be VERY careful so you dont scratch your console)

#4- grab the plastic piece under the black ring that surrounds the gearbox(pull from cup holder towards back of car) and lift it up very slowly making sure not to crack any of the clips that secure it...this will require some force but i INSIST please be careful unless you like having a cracked interior

#5- remove the 2 phillips head screws holding the stock auto **** in, the screws are facing the dash and are very easy to take out. Once the screws are removed slide the **** up and rub off the grease on the shifter bar.

this is what yours should look like so far

SOME OF THESE STEPS INCLUDE A SHIFT BOOT, IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE JUST SIMPLY IGNORE THEM-

#6- take out your shift boot and place it over the shift rod and when you have it in the desired position mark off where the clips clip in on the boot and use a razor blade to cut out a big enough piece for the clip to fit through(the clips will eventually hold the shift boot in place) the clips are the one's closest to the gearbox, there are 4 of them

#7- once you have the shift boot in the right place put the larger center piece that goes around the gearbox back in place and snap it in. Place the black ring over the shift rod, shift boot and the P R N D piece and push it down as far as it can go, now it wont go all the way down because the boot is in the way but it will go down enough where it wont ever move, i took a pic of the spacing and you can barely see.

#8- now i bought the MOMO automatico shift **** from the cardomain store(www.cardomain.com) and it cost around $110 with tax, yes a lot of $$$ for just a **** but it is the best looking one i have seen by far and it works great, they also sell it in all chrome too. The MOMO **** came with a metal piece which screws on after the **** is placed and hides the screw holes, you have to put this on first before you slide the **** on. The **** also came with some rubber spacers that you will need to use to have the **** fit snug, they go inside the metal piece and i believe you have to use the thinnest spacer they gave.

#9 All ***** come with alan screws that hold the **** into the shift rod, now there are no holes in the shift rod so the screws dig into the rod and yes they do hold the **** down very well and hasnt moved once at all since ive had it. The pic of the screw isnt that good but you can see the shape of it, the sharp part gets dug into the rod.

#10- After the metal piece is on take the **** and put it over the shift rod, if you have the momo **** make sure the momo logo on top is facing you. Set it down until it his the shift rod, lift it up about a 1/4 of an inch to a 1/2 inch and place the 3 alan screws in and tighten them all the way. Now before you screw on the metal piece, start the car and change gears, with the boot on its hard to shift into D3 and 2 but i dont use them anyway so it doesnt bother me. Place the car back into park and turn off the car, if the keys cannot come out you put the **** on to low which is causing the car to think you are still holding down the shifter, unscrew the alan screws and lift the **** up more and tighten it down, repeat this step until the keys can be pulled out. The shiny part in the middle of the rod is about where the alan screws should be screwed in, sorry for the bad pic.

#11- Screw on the metal piece until its tight and covering up the screw holes. Replace the center console trim piece with the cig lighter, push in the cig lighter piece first until it snaps into place and do the same with the two sides. Once that is done sit back, admire your work and when you post pics on this site or cardomain or any other site you will be asked---is your car manual???it looks it but you only have 2 pedals than you go BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA like i have done a million times, also fools people who get into your car ENJOY

Last edited by dj02; 05-09-2006 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2006
Boost is so good make you wanna slap ya mamma
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

red_sun is on a distinguished road
You might want to put a 56k warning on this your pictures are huge. But Good DIY for automatic owners.
Old 04-25-2006
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
nice DIY moved to DIY section