DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Re: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Originally Posted by havikkep2
hey guys, if the input shaft bearing is replaced, is it a chance for this problem to reappear ?
I sure hope not!!!!
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

havikkep2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just change that bearing at 60k miles, and i hope so not to have any more problems with it in near future
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice

Originally Posted by havikkep2
I've just change that bearing at 60k miles, and i hope so not to have any more problems with it in near future
I did mine last year over thanksgiving weekend. ( about 60K too)
If I have a problem again i'll post so you know you got a year left.
Old 10-20-2009
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

hey thats my number 2 problemmm exactly

but i have another 3 porblems more
when im shifting in high RPM´s in 1,2,and 3rd its the worst that is sound terrrrribleeee but it shifts

this weekend ill be at ma garage removing my tranny
Old 10-22-2009
Registered!!

havikkep2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks pon55 to let me know greetings from Romania(Europe) !
Old 12-09-2009
Registered!!

dr2turbo is an unknown quantity at this point

i think i have problem #2. i swapped out the clutch and same noise. i was super pist! either way are there any DIY instructions and photos for doing this? please let me know...
Old 12-09-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dr2turbo
i think i have problem #2. i swapped out the clutch and same noise. i was super pist! either way are there any DIY instructions and photos for doing this? please let me know...
pg7 has whats left of them. If ya did the clutch you know most of it. Just drop out the tranny and split it and replace the bearing. there was a DIY on tranny removal somewhere on here.
Old 12-23-2009
Registered!!

Angry Jap is an unknown quantity at this point

Had a similar problem, with the transmission making "sewing machine" noises in gear, and took what I thought was the path of least resistance -- putting in a used, lower mileage transmission. This solved it for a month or so, but now the noise is back. It's stopped getting louder, but it's still bothersome. The car does have sticky tires, gets driven somewhat aggressively on off-ramps and so on, but is stock. Anyone else have this experience?
Old 01-10-2010
Registered!!

Pedro is an unknown quantity at this point

In the both cases is need start the car to hear the noise, but in my car i hear the noise with it off too!!! i hear the noise when i push the clutch pedal and when i relief the clutch the pedal.

Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2010
Registered!!

Fox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond repute

So here's a question..... I'm getting this noise that sounds like a vibration coming from the passenger side of my engine bay. I thought this was some kind of an exhaust problem because it only happens at lower RPMs... Now it's kind of sounding like some hammers being thrown around under the wheelwell or something... Is it a CV? Clutch? No slippage in the clutch either.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

spawnaside is an unknown quantity at this point

1500 to change all the bearings. What a bummer. No one would only replace just the input shaft bearing, they had to do them all.
Old 01-21-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by spawnaside
1500 to change all the bearings. What a bummer. No one would only replace just the input shaft bearing, they had to do them all.

you got the shaft! (w/bearing)
Old 02-05-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnnyboy5000
I'm at 140,000 with this same diagnosis and I'm still going strong. So it's been 40,000 miles, just about two years and my car still performs the same. Symptoms still the same, noise when clutch is out and once in a while, usually just when the car is started in the morning, driving down my street, 2nd gear doesn't accelerate. Stepping on the gas makes the engine rev, but the car slows down. I guess the transmission and the engine aren't connecting. However, when I step on the clutch like two times in neutral, then put it back into second, everything is fine, second engages. And it only does this in the morning. Like if I were take it to the shop and have them recreate the problem, they couldn't. It does it only in the morning, when the first time it's in second gear, then not again for the rest of the day.

So it's been like this for two years. I hope don't jinx myself by posting this..
I'm at 172,000 miles and the transmission makes te same noise and works the same as it did when they diagnosed it.. I drive like a grandma though. Still sometimes when the car is cold, it won't accelerate in first or second. I'm thinking this might be a clogged fuel pump. Once it's warmed up, I don't have the stalling problem.
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

cuevasedward is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by turboengnr
If you hear an odd noise coming from your 5-speed transmission, this post is for you.

There are 2 common things that happen to the 5 speed transmissions in our generation Honda.

The first of which is somewhat common. This is the throwout bearing.

This is how to diagnose it.....
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and press in the clutch
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the THROWOUT BEARING. If you release the clutch, the noise should go away

The reason it makes the noise like this is because when you have your foot off the clutch, the throwout bearing is not spinning, and it has no force on it. But when you push the clutch in, the throwout bearing forces the fingers on the pressure plate in, causing the clutch to release. The bearing is spinning however fast the motor is turning at this time. So if the bearing is bad, it will make noise.

This is a rather simple fix for a shop to do. They have to take the transmission out, and replace the throwout bearing, the replace the tranny. It is basically the same work as replacing a clutch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the second (and seems to be more common) problem is the input shaft bearing.

This is how to diagnose it.....
-Start your car.
-Roll up the windows, turn the radio off, and turn the blower motor for the AC/heater off.
-put the car into neutral, and take your foot off the clutch pedal
---- if you hear the noise now, it is the INPUT SHAFT BEARING. if you press in the clutch, the noise should go away.

The reason for this is because when you have the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal) the motor is spinning the input shaft on the transmission (even when in neutral). The bearing has a plastic cage inside of it that holds the small ball-bearings equidistant apart. This plastic cage can be broken by even a completely stock car, if it is driven hard (shifting hard, running sticky tires, etc). When this plastic cage breaks, the ball bearings load up one side of the bearing. This allows the input shaft to walk side to side slightly, which causes the gears to not mesh up right. This causes a whining and growling sound. But when you press in the clutch, the input shaft stops spinning, so the noise goes away.

The way to fix this is a lot more difficult. You have to completely remove the transmission from the car. Then you take the shifter assembly out of the tranny, remove the speed sensor. Then you have the split the case apart. Next you have to remove the differential and the Spider gears. Now you will have access to the bearing. The bearing is $23 from your local honda dealership. Once you install it, put the tranny back together and slap it in the car.

I hope this helps you guys out. A LOT OF SHOPS MIS-DIAGNOSE THE INPUT SHAFT BEARING FOR A THROWOUT BEARING!! This means that you pay for them to replace the throwout bearing, then when you drive it home and its making the same noise, you take it back and pay them to fix the input shaft bearing.

I am trying to help save you guys some hard earned money with this. Diagnose this yourself. Print out this guide, and take it into your tranny shop. Let them diagnose it with the help of this guide. And hopefully you will save some cash in the end AND look like you know what your doing.
ok i have a question dey gave me dis trans and well im able to move the shaft" the thing in the middle" and wen i move it it sounds like lil bearings are falen inside da trans but only like one bearing. but is dat bad dat im able to move it and wat could da bearing noise be ? and is it expensive to repair or should i just get another trans
Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

thejackal03 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same input shaft bearing issue as well. Noticed it at 60k now my car has 98k still going just the sound is louder. Anyone know a quick estimate to replace the clutch and this bearing. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-28-2010
Registered!!

Marxx is an unknown quantity at this point

So the noise I’ve been hearing. It’s when you are doing engine braking mainly, or if you are coasting along doing 30 in 3rd. Each time you let the momentum of the car turn the engine the noise get audible. It sounds a bit like a grinding noise, possibly bearings. If you just gently touch the accelerator it almost disappears..I heard that it is possible that the bearings are making noise(Input shaft bearings)if someone had a similar problem?Car is Civic Type R Ep3 2004 95.000km..6 speed..
Old 04-10-2010
Registered!!

ninjasteve is an unknown quantity at this point

i posted a new thread i think in the wrong spot. . . sooo again i have a 2005 cvic dx vp man.5 spd. according to your thread i trashed the input shaft bearing. i beat the snot out of this car(cant stand a slow car miss my subie) soo. i like this write up but any links to how to remove trans(vehicle specific)or is it simple? i have mechanical experience,but transmissions are a gray area for me. THANKS!!!
Old 04-10-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ninjasteve
i posted a new thread i think in the wrong spot. . . sooo again i have a 2005 cvic dx vp man.5 spd. according to your thread i trashed the input shaft bearing. i beat the snot out of this car(cant stand a slow car miss my subie) soo. i like this write up but any links to how to remove trans(vehicle specific)or is it simple? i have mechanical experience,but transmissions are a gray area for me. THANKS!!!
If you can't find it in the front of this thread, look for a clutch replacement DIY. Its easy.
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

j00fek is an unknown quantity at this point

i think my noise is backwards from what is described here...

my noise is when the clutch is not pressed in and the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in... would that be main shaft?
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by j00fek
i think my noise is backwards from what is described here...

my noise is when the clutch is not pressed in and the noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in... would that be main shaft?
That is the problem that this thread is all about! Read from the start.
Old 04-17-2010
Registered!!

j00fek is an unknown quantity at this point

i know reading it helps, i didnt thoroughly the 1st time...

once i looked at it in alldata i can see it now
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

Pongo08 is an unknown quantity at this point

what can happen if you dont fix the input shaft bearing?
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Pongo08
what can happen if you dont fix the input shaft bearing?
Tranny will fail. Usually from the bearing seizing.
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

holy crap! well thats good to know. is there a diy for replacing it?
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

scratch that last question, but does anyone know about how long it takes to do this?
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

By myself, in the cold (Nov) took me 2 days start to finish.
Old 06-05-2010
Registered!!

what if my engine is already out?
Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it safe to say that I only need to replace the bearings, and not have to buy a whole used transmission/rebuilt transmission?
Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

rcelefano is an unknown quantity at this point

And what happens if I just don't replace the bearings? What's the worst that can happen besides noise?
Old 09-13-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rcelefano
And what happens if I just don't replace the bearings? What's the worst that can happen besides noise?
Take some time and read the whole thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No fix- no shift

Quick Reply: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)