DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Old 06-19-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I spoke with a honda dealer on friday, they seem to think its a lubrication issue with my slave cylinder for my clutch. Does this sound right?? Either way, its getting checked out saturday, i'll let you all know if i have any problems.
Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

evilcivicbbr is an unknown quantity at this point
worse problem

i have a grinding noise every time i shift into 2nd gear at over2,000 rpm and now it's starting to do it if i shift into any gear at over 6,000 rpm i called alot of shops and they told me they dont know what it is and the only way to find out is to rip the tranny out.i kew i should have never of entered a burn out comp
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

Mitchel is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Stealerships giving Honda a bad name

Honda

Last edited by Mitchel; 10-17-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

civic_si_06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Alright ive read this entire thread and i seem to have an idea of whats wrong, with my tranny.....it whines and chatters in 1st and 2nd gear at low rpms...is that a combination of both throwout and input shaft bearing...it sounds pretty bad...more or the clanking noise when in first...TURBOENGNR i need your knowlegde please help.....
Old 09-22-2006
Registered!!

zadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura aboutzadscmc has a spectacular aura about
Turboengr, good thread! +rep
Old 09-26-2006
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by civic_si_06
...TURBOENGNR i need your knowlegde please help.....
he is no longer on the site!

change both bearings.
Old 09-30-2006
Registered!!

Jas88 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having a similar problem

It rattles at low speeds, below 20 miles an hour. I went to the honda dealership and they said it needs a (MAIN SHIFT BEARING). Cost is 990 $

Seems completely unreasonable to me. Anyone got the same estimate and is there a place where i can get it done cheaper in San Diego CA?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

civ_nate is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay im going to start by telling you that I went into see Honda about this problem b4 posting, and they are as useless as the nipples on a male cow.

I have noticed for a long time a approx. 20-30% power loss in my em2, it does not have very much pull anymore and 4th and 5th sucks even more then it usually did. I thought at first it might be my cat. converter but I had it checked it and it seems fine.

So I had a charging system test done as my fuel was cutting off when the throttle was wide open and my dash lights where lighting up like an xmas tree, and it came up low charging altenator. My alt. is only pushing 75amps and my car should be 110 to my understand as I have a/c.

Has anyone else had this problem, maybe due to my stereo, becuase mine is quite demading [ approx. 700W peak ], and if so would a larger cranking amp gel battery work to fix it or maybe rebuild my alt, better grounds, any ideas?

Secondly I am hearing a loud clicking noise, soulnd similar to an axel, but apparently Honda says it does not sound that way, but of course they dont know what it might be, they said it sound sliek my brake pads, which i replaced about 5000km ago and the shims are fine.

It clicks quite loud when I back up or go forward, after the cluch is all the way out and only starting from a dead stop or starting in 2nd gear from very slow.

My guesses are an axel maybe, or my rotors becuase I drilled out the screwes as they were seased on and i had to in order to install my brembo rotors, they may be shifting but I cannot see that either as they should be presse don by my wheels.

I know for sure this is not my tranny as all the bearings were replaced recently.

any ideas/imput will be appreciated?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

anyone?
Old 10-02-2006
Registered!!

im going to daisy loop my coils and redo the ground on my thermostat tonight with 4g, i alreayd did my stereo wire with 4g the other day, i dunno if a bigger cranking amp gel battery would fix this, or rebuilding my alt.?

In regards to the clicking problem, IM ABSOLUTLY CLUELESS!
Old 10-03-2006
Registered!!

does anybody know anything about this?
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

bump?
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jas88
It rattles at low speeds, below 20 miles an hour. I went to the honda dealership and they said it needs a (MAIN SHIFT BEARING). Cost is 990 $

Seems completely unreasonable to me. Anyone got the same estimate and is there a place where i can get it done cheaper in San Diego CA?
Theres an import shop downtown-ish (Like off 805 around university) that will give you a better price than the stealership. They quoted me like 199 for a 60K service vs the dealers 399... I forget what they are called, though. I've since moved up to OC.
Old 10-11-2006
Registered!!

reddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to allreddawnman is a name known to all
So, I've got the bad input shaft bearing as well, but calling my non-rapist indie service guy and letting him know that it was, at best, barely audible and that i was pretty sure that it was just the ISB, his response was:

"Well, if you really want to fix it, just get a remanufactured tranny, because it will be cheaper than the labor on the teardown... But seriously, the 99 civic my dad drives has the same problem, and he's been driving the thing for a while. Its not going to hurt anything more; the damage is already done..."

Hmm. well, at least he wasn't trying to up-sell me on anything. Anyone else had an actual catastrophic failure of the tranny relating to the ISB whine? I'll probably let this thing go until I need a new clutch, then see what the additional labor will be.
Old 10-26-2006
Registered!!

02ExK20pwr is an unknown quantity at this point
my d17a2 2002 civic coupe 5spd has a similar problem... i put the clutch all the way in and it whines, also when I let the clutch out with it in gear and i get a whinning noise, until i let the clutch all the way out, honda replaced the clutch master cylinder twice, lubed the clutch pedal bushing, and lubed the clutch fork and pivot ball at least 3 times, works better for less than a day... whats the issue I'm having? its a 2002 with 67k on it... I'd really like to know...
Old 11-06-2006
Registered!!

ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
welps.. i think i have engine problem but not sure, it may be the clutch.. anywho.. everytime i rev (pressing gas pedal and iam in neutral or even driving) its making some kind of clanking noise (clak clak lol) over/around 2k-3krpm, it was actually doing that before when i change to aftermarket header but it went away (and that noise went away when i did the PCM ECU RESET).. now i was thinking i might just need to do the PCM ECU reset but i dont think it has something to do with it at all. unfortunately its making that same noise agian (when i switch to stock header)

Last edited by ohsnapsjay08; 11-06-2006 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

johnnyboy5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a slight whinning noise when the clutch is released in neutral, on my 2002 civic dx with 110,000 miles. The dealer said it was the main shaft bearings. They wanted $1700 to replace bearings and new clutch. I took it to an independent Honda service garage, for a second opinion, and they said they didn't here anything in the transmission for concern and also that the clutch doesn't need to be replaced yet.

I brought the car in the first place because I was having this weird problem every once in a while, like maybe once a week, where in 1st and 2nd gear I would step on the gas and the engine would rev, but the car would not accelerate. But if I put it in neutral, then back in gear, it would accelerate. I think that's the clutch slipping. The dealer said it was from the main shaft bearings.

No one on this post has said what will happen if the main shaft bearing are NOT replaced? The honda dealer said the car will fail at some point. Does anyone know what will happen?
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

Oh yeah, to all those people with squeaky clutches, I got a can of white grease and sprayed into the clutch master cylinder (where the pedal pushes that medal bar into the master cylinder, inside there). You'll need to take off the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel. Just squirt the grease where the bar meets the opening, with the long plastic tube that comes with the can of grease. I put the tube like a 1/2 inch inside. Squeak gone. The honda dealers told told me the squeak was normal and brought on by cold weather. It used annoy the heck out of me.
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

03EM2_EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by johnnyboy5000
Oh yeah, to all those people with squeaky clutches, I got a can of white grease and sprayed into the clutch master cylinder (where the pedal pushes that medal bar into the master cylinder, inside there). You'll need to take off the plastic cover underneath the steering wheel. Just squirt the grease where the bar meets the opening, with the long plastic tube that comes with the can of grease. I put the tube like a 1/2 inch inside. Squeak gone. The honda dealers told told me the squeak was normal and brought on by cold weather. It used annoy the heck out of me.
omg i need to do that to my car, it is really annoying, but i blast the radio so i cant hear the noise
Old 11-26-2006
Registered!!

03EM2_EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a slight whinning noise when the clutch is released in neutral, on my 2002 civic dx with 110,000 miles. The dealer said it was the main shaft bearings. They wanted $1700 to replace bearings and new clutch. I took it to an independent Honda service garage, for a second opinion, and they said they didn't here anything in the transmission for concern and also that the clutch doesn't need to be replaced yet.

I brought the car in the first place because I was having this weird problem every once in a while, like maybe once a week, where in 1st and 2nd gear I would step on the gas and the engine would rev, but the car would not accelerate. But if I put it in neutral, then back in gear, it would accelerate. I think that's the clutch slipping. The dealer said it was from the main shaft bearings.

No one on this post has said what will happen if the main shaft bearing are NOT replaced? The honda dealer said the car will fail at some point. Does anyone know what will happen?
i have that same problem ever since it started raining like month ago, i would have it in first and would rev but not accelerate, tires wernt spinning, then i put it to 2nd then they start spinningg, i dunno
Old 12-18-2006
Registered!!

civic2nr819 is an unknown quantity at this point
Does anybody make a stronger input shaft bearing so I don't have to replace as often? My car only has 45k miles but I have been pretty hard on it for every one of them so I guess its time to spend a few dollars. I was going to replace the clutch because of the throw out bearing now I can tell them to change the input shaft bearing as well.
Old 01-17-2007
ley
Registered!!

ley is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe my problem is a little more complicated unless this is exactly what you described I can't put it together.

It might be the throwout bearing definately not that input beacuse it only happens when I push the clutch in

I push the clutch in its fine, no noise
But as I slowly release it up into the engage point, it ticks, like steel marbles hitting sheet metal kind of sound. Its like "tick tick tick tick"
and I also feel it in my foot. What is my problem? The Throwout bearing? Will my bumper to bumper/powertrain warrenty cover this problem im still very much in warrenty
Old 02-14-2007
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all
I have the same problem. When I push the clutch in the noise goes away. But just the otehr day I was trying to put the car into 4th gear and it wont go in gear without having to try again. Is it the input shaft bearing or the clutch as well. Im thinking of just getting a used traanny and a new clutch. I think it will be cheaper in the long run. WHat do U guys think.
Old 02-14-2007
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Valdeezy
Im thinking of just getting a used traanny and a new clutch. I think it will be cheaper in the long run. WHat do U guys think.
yes and yes!

Thats what I did! It only gets worse and worse!

The sound will get louder and shifting gets impossible.

let me know if you have any questions about how or what i did Val...
Old 04-08-2007
Registered!!

Hxrxld is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Where can I go to get those blown up pictures of Honda parts? Thanks..

More specifically, a 2004 Honda Civic Lx.. My car makes a noise when i have my foot off the brake, and when I press it, it goes away.. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2007
Registered!!

I'm at 119,000 and still running strong with this diagnosis. Everything is running fine. Knock on wood.
Old 06-24-2007
Registered!!

bigmax1665 is an unknown quantity at this point

my car makes tranny noise in 1st and 2nd gear while accellerating. the clutch has to be engaged and the car accelerating for me to hear the noise though. any ideas?
Old 07-12-2007
Registered!!

darkhonda2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok heres my question;

I have a 02 Lx coupe.

when i engage my clutch in my 1st gear (and sometimes in 2nd) i hear a sound once the clutch is completely engaged, from the passenger side, very audible, sounds like 2 quarters hitting ( two peices of metal, probly small/light weight) hitting together

any ideas?
Old 08-02-2007
Registered!!

PCaly2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish i saw this about 3 days ago... I just spent 600 for new clutch and install/labor when it was the damn input shaft bearing... guess its back to the shop soon
Old 09-10-2007
Registered!!

bigmax1665 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, this helped me out with exactly what i needed. it sucks though that my input shaft bearing is bad right after my warranty ended. oh well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)