DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006
I HEART KATIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quantas is an unknown quantity at this point
no one answered my questions yet
1. what is the problem here besides the noises that i hear?
2. how long can i drive it before something bad happens?
3. does the car have "steel drive belts"?
4. how much would a tranny shop charge?
Old 03-04-2006
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Quantas
no one answered my questions yet
1. what is the problem here besides the noises that i hear?
2. how long can i drive it before something bad happens?
3. does the car have "steel drive belts"?
4. how much would a tranny shop charge?
1. no idea
2. same thing
3. i dont think so, sounds like they lied to you
4. go get some estimates, i think someone on here got charged 1200 to fix it.
Old 03-04-2006
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
i have no clue what you mean about steel drive belts.

To properly diagnose the sounds, i would have to be in the car and hear it. I can only speculate as to what it would be. And with the 7thgen trannys, the only parts i have explicit experience with is the input shaft bearing and throwout bearing. Other noises could be caused by synchros, other bearings in the tranny, or even damaged/worn gears. But without actually being in the car, i really cant give an accurate projection of what the problem may be.
Old 03-05-2006
I HEART KATIE

well when i bought the car the tech said that the noises i was hearing like when you start the car and take your foot off the clutch you hear that noise and you said it was the input shaft bearing, cuz the noise goes away when u push the clutch back in, and when you hit certain RPM's you hear funny metallic noises, the Acura tech said it was the "steel drive belts"
Old 03-05-2006
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
i think your acura tech needs to swallow some cyanide tablets and rid us of his bad information.

There are no belts made of steel that drive anything in our civics. Atleast not in a normal 5 speed transmission, nor in a normal automatic transmission. I admit that i have never taken apart an HX CVT tranny, but i noticed that your car is a 5 speed. So im pretty damn sure that there are no steel drive belts inside your car.

The only thing i can think of that he could possibly be referring to is a steel timing chain. But our cars dont have those. So yea......
Old 03-06-2006
I HEART KATIE

i showed my dad this thread and he was so pissed at those guys at Acura of Brookfield, he called em up and i have to take my car to a Honda Dealer in madison on thursday, i have to take it there cuz AofB owns it and its closer to me, but they are gonna look at my tranny and depending what will be cheaper for them they are gonna replace my input shaft bearing or they are gonna give me a whole new tranny, does that mean that a new clutch and flywheel come with the new tranny??
Old 03-07-2006
DONT PANIC

they dont replace the clutch or flywheel with the tranny. It is a completely different part. They actually dont even touch them when taking the tranny out.
Old 03-07-2006
I HEART KATIE

how long do i have before the tranny dies or something, cuz i know the bearing needs replacing, but how far can i drive it? like its not gonna blow or anything is it?
Old 03-08-2006
DONT PANIC

mine has been driven since september with a bad input shaft bearing. I plan on replacing that transmission with the one ive already gone through and re-built when i swap the motor to my built one.
Old 03-08-2006
I HEART KATIE

thats good to know, cuz just recently like yesterday, the noise got louder, but tomorrow it goes to the shop so ill be good i hope
Old 03-11-2006
I HEART KATIE

*UPDATE* i just got my car back from the dealer, only took 3 days....the dealer paid for the tranny, used, had 21000 mi on it, they put in a new clutch and only charged me for parts, when they were putting the tranny in they stripped my axel so they had to put a new one in. so for about 300 bucks i got a used tranny, a new axel and a new clutch!!!
Old 03-12-2006
DONT PANIC

not too shabby
Old 03-13-2006
Registered!!

alfa_dude is an unknown quantity at this point
My vic has been started making a squaking noise when I pushed the clutch pedal or let it go. Then I started to notice that the actual clutch was also making a squeaking noise! kinda like hearing a cricket! very annoying! I went to my dealer and they lubricated it but not good. I tried 3 more times but never go rid of the noise. About 3 weeks ago I went to another dealer thats closer to where I live, and they got rid of the noise by lubrification (or so I thought!) thing is on friday the noise came back! When they got rid of the noise they said that the other dealer had not lubricated it well enough. So I guess what I want to know is do you guys think that my problem could be this? my car is still under warranty, is this covered by warranty? thanks!
Old 03-13-2006
DONT PANIC

theres a DIY on here somewhere for this. Tons of civics have had this problem. It is easy to fix. Just search for the squeaky Clutch pedal DIY
Old 03-14-2006
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there a heavier duty replacement for the input shaft bearing problem rather than putting in the same weak OEM part? I don't want it to break again. Would having a heavier-duty part in there put stress on anything else? I have a stock transaxle set-up.

Also, could this cause my 5th gear to be all fooked up? The synchro is bad and it pops out very frequently. I'm asking because you said it allows the gears to not mesh up right. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2006
DONT PANIC

If it is bad enough, it can cause a whole crap-load of problems.

As for aftermarket bearing, nobody has any. But i have been working for the past several months to remedy this. I am working with several bearing companies and also distributors (one of them is the main distributor for northrop) to get some high speed bearings with a metal cage instead of a plastic one.

Once i figure out what all bearings i need to replace the crap in my trannies, i will test it out and let everyone know the part numbers and prices. I am really worried about my tranny. I am trying to make over 400 whp on my D17, so i know it wont hold up.

The best way to make the tranny live as long as possible is to shift easily. Do not power shift and do not speed shift. It is very hard on the bearings.
Old 03-16-2006
...ever grinning...

JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
I actually double clutch and rev match with EVERY shift. The dbl clutch makes it easy to do that because of the time factor too. So I'm damn sure that I didn't do it. Some people also suggested that it's the shift... damn. I'm talking about the two cables that you can see on the top of the trans. Are those hard to replace? I may bring it in for warrenty work because of the syncro or (if I can convince my dad to help me) buy an 04 trans and hook it up. Those are direct bolt up, right? What do you think? Warrenty would be $150 but how much would an 04 trans cost from like a boneyard?
Old 03-26-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I do not think it is the throw out bearing anymore. The sound definetly happens witht the clutch in or out!
Old 03-27-2006
Registered!!

philmcneal should not be trustedphilmcneal should not be trusted
i've been driving with a squeaky clutch for 20000 km now... still no problems... i just turn the radio up...

oh and i bump start all the time too

edit: no wait make that 38000 km now, i get squeaks clutching in and out in N... i hope honda can fix it for me when i print out this thread ;D

Last edited by philmcneal; 03-31-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2006
Registered!!

scandals is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by scandals
I was at my Honda dealership about a month ago complaining about a tinny rattle when releasing the clutch (about at the friction point) when going from stop to moving in 1st or from 1st to 2nd at low rpms. At first I thought it was something metallic rattling next to the engine, as engines tend to shudder a bit if not given enough gas when clutching. Anyhow, the technician took it for a spin and could not reproduce the noise. I then went out with him and showed him what it was and how to reproduce it. Then I went back inside as two technicians went for a ride. To make a long story short they took the car back into the service bay, looked at it for a bit and then diagnosed the noise as "clutch chatter". Explaining that as the clutch wears you may get some noise, it is not immediately necessary but the only way to fix it is to replace the clutch. The car only has 46,000 kms on it and I don't drive it like an idiot. (riding the clutch, etc...) I also have the extended warranty (not that it matters as I called Honda and they will not do anything).

The thing is I am not completely convinced that the problem is clutch chatter. Sometimes I hear this noise when not clutching at all - just travelling along at low rpms in 2nd or 1st gear. It makes a rattling metallic noise seemingly coming frome behind the dash in front of the driver for a few seconds and then goes away.

I'm not sure what to do, just keep driving it or what? I'd love to get rid of the noise as it makes the car sound like something is loose. Does anyone here have any idea if it could be anything other than clutch chatter? Everything else seems to be fine, no slippage or anything. Please help! A new clutch at 46,000 kms is rediculous.
GOOD NEWS! I finally got a chance to take my car to another dealership. I went in and played dumb. Didn't tell them I already had it looked at elsewhere. Went for a ride with the tech and he said "there's no way this is clutch chatter" (just as i suspected). We drove around a bit then stopped, he popped the hood, got out and started poking around. It seems that when I had a faulty clutch master replaced - under warranty - the 'other dealership' connected the hydraulic line such that it would rattle against other parts in the vicinity when the engine is torqued. So simple, and only took a simple hand adjustment to fix! (he bent it into a better position) Now I can't believe the very dealership that installed the new clutch master and created the rattle was telling me I wore the clutch out and that is the reason for the noise! They basically made me feel like I don't know how to drive standard and said the only way to fix it is to replace the clutch. This is a perfect example of the reason why you should often seek a second opinion. Good luck to everyone else!
Old 05-09-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
how much time would it take to replace the INput Shaft Bearing? I got a new clutch and flywheel to install, but I need to take apart the bell housing to access the bearing, right? ****.
Old 05-10-2006
DONT PANIC

you have to actually take the cluster gears out to replace the bearing. It is extremely difficult.
Old 05-14-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by turboengnr
you have to actually take the cluster gears out to replace the bearing. It is extremely difficult.

son of a bitch.

probably the best to take it to a trans shop only, like an aamco or whatever? i just got a flywheel and exedy clutch to go in when they replace the bearing. ugh, ill probably have to remove my lip kit to so they can get under the car. ****.

what if i get a MT from a yard donored from a 03-05 ex? would it likely have the same issue?
Old 05-25-2006
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
bumped this thread up.

i really need help too on this one.

my sedan is currently at 54K. it's making the whistling noise just like OP explained with the input shaft bearing. my question is, how important is this problem? do i have to address it asap?

i've also talked about it on my thread:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...l+transmission

the only problem right now is that my car is covered under the "national" warranty until 60K (NOT honda care). the dealer I went in told me that the input shaft bearing is NOT covered under warranty because it's just like brake pads, wear-by-use parts. they said that it might costs me up to $800 if they opened it up and the warranty does not want to cover the cost....

help me!
Old 05-30-2006
DONT PANIC

take it to a trans shop. Should be cheaper. The part is only a $25 part.

I drove my car for 6-7 months with the bearing bad.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

hm.

even my local well-known performance shop (not stealership) quoted me 8.5 hours labor to change the damn bearing.

well, I figured out maybe its better for me to upgrade my clutch altogether when evereything is opened! lol!

i'm thinking of upgrading my clutch to Exedy Stage 1 organic clutch.....along with that, the throwout bearing will be replaced (included in clutch package?)

what do you guys think?
Old 05-31-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
Is the whistling you are describing for this problem a constant whistling sound or is it a short whistle? Also does it happen all the time? My noise is very random. Hasn't done it today yet.

My car has been doing a whistling noise lately. I'll have to pay attention to what is going on when it happens next, but I think I remember it doing it as I come up to a stop sign and stop (clutch in). It is pretty loud, I can hear it over the radio. It's not brakes or anything like that. It sounds like someone using a slide whistle because it starts out low and gets higher pitched towards the end.

I'm going to try and record it on my mp3 player next time it happens.

Last edited by digitaldemigod; 05-31-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

well, let me see........

right now, mine is not that loud....however, it's constant whistling and you can always hear it at idle....even during driving, you can also listen to the whistling...

it's not that loud though...my stereo can easily kill the noise during driving, hehe.

now in my situation, since it's the input shaft bearing, the noise WILL GO AWAY when i push the clutch pedal in.....
Old 05-31-2006
2001 Rallye Red EX

digitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of lightdigitaldemigod is a glorious beacon of light
I'm starting to think my sound is a different thing altogether. I don't hear any abnormal noise when driving.
Old 06-16-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think this one's been covered, though I may be wrong, but I'll ask anyway. My clutch makes a creak/click type sound when I let the clutch out. It does this whether the car is running or not. It makes no sound when depressing the clutch pedal, but clicks about halfway up when releasing the clutch. It's not a constant sound, just one click. It only seems to happen after the car has been driven for a while, and doesn't usually do it when its cold. I originally thought it was just the pivot on the pedal, but i've check, and the noise seems to be coming from the area of the transmission under the hood. The car has about 30k on it, the clutch is still tight, and begins to engage only a couple inches off the floor. The behavior of the clutch doesn't change much when it's warmed up enough to make the noise. I'll get it in to Honda in the next week or two, but I have 3 questions. a)is it going to destroy anything in the next 300 or so miles before i can get it serviced? b)is this normal and just something i can lube myself without ripping the car about and save myself a trip to the dealer? and c) does anyone know if the clutch and all the bearings and stuff are covered for the duration of the 3yr/36k warranty?? Thanks for helping out the new guy.

Quick Reply: DIY: Diagnose manual Tranny Noises (and save some $$$)