DIY: Custom Trunk II !with access to spare tire!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Guys, I don't know about where you guys live, but if there's a "FleaMarket" around your area, you can find the carpet for like $10 for the whole trunk space, that's what I did anyways...
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

mkingk2 is an unknown quantity at this point
does the board rattle at all from the subs?
Old 08-14-2005
Registered!!

thw_goalie is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome DIY! My trunk is in need of major repair, so I'm definitely going to try to do this. Not all of it, since I don't have subs or anything back there, but the idea for access to the tire is awesome.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mkingk2
does the board rattle at all from the subs?
nope not at all. sorry for the late reply.

to thw_goalie:
sure, I am glad people are using this so much! post pics up when you finish. I am just glad you like my idea. and so far I have NOT used the spare ever again (since before this install) so its good to have but so far no need. which is exactly how i want it
Old 08-16-2005
Registered!!

thw_goalie is an unknown quantity at this point
Before I start doing this, I was wondering how much it cost abouts?
Old 08-16-2005
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
dude i did this but built up a spot on each side for my 2 12's and back wall for my amp and a neon...car sounds great and glows...but im in despirate need of carpet...i want black or a charcol mix...anyone know where to get a good cheap roll to cover it
Old 08-16-2005
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
heres the pics of mine....just im makin it cleaner by putting the metal brackets in the back so u cant see them ...also adjusting the door...its crocked...i know...prob fix it tomorrow...oh and the sound is the same as when i had the box...i used 1/2 mad on floor and 3/4 mdf for the box...sealed it with foam glue and lots of nails from nail gun....

with 1 20in street glow neon my trunk glows

and out of this i learned one good lesson...never put the ground and the power together...ur car will glow..and u will almost die
Old 08-16-2005

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by thw_goalie
Before I start doing this, I was wondering how much it cost abouts?
Wood is about $30-$50 no more.
screws + adhesive $10. only need 1 can of spray adhesive.
carpet $30 shipped
Hinges $5
Zip ties, L brackets, handle $20

So if you have the tools then a little over $100. Ill say $150 since you always forget stuff and have to run and get it and that adds up too. The expensive thing is the wood, and carpet. rest is all small stuff.
Only tool you need that you would overlook is a very sharp set of shears; and big heavy ones! (for the carpet and carpeting already in the trunk) the carpet isnt thick but you start sticking to it and it gets on you and the shears and its a big mess if you have never done it before as I learned!

Nice tuner04civic. I still suggest the carpet from crutchfield. they give you the HIGHEST quality stuff, for about the same or less, as the competition *cough*car domain*cough* and its crutchfield which means when the prices are good you know its the safest, and smartest, choice to buy from!

What I would suggest is doing the whole floor then do the top part seperate. that way you have only 1 seam; where the wood walls meet the floor. if you get the right size though, you would be able to do it all in 1 shot with NO seams.

Last edited by diskreet; 08-16-2005 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2005
spell check pwns you

thanks for the help...hopefully before september i can order carpet
Old 08-17-2005

welcome. i want to see that all carpeted... bad! looks good now minus the gaps but they wont show with carpet so I really cant wait to see!

btw tuner04civic u got rep. loving the trunk
Old 08-17-2005
spell check pwns you

thanks...when i saw urs it got me thinking...loved the idea
Old 08-17-2005

anyone else get some ideas here? any questions?
Old 08-26-2005
Registered!!

qik1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i will attempt a similar job next sunday
Old 08-27-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by diskreet

anyone else get some ideas here? any questions?
How about a comment
Guys, if you don't want your Subs brackets to show while installed, what you can do is make a cut on the carpet where the bracket goes before installing it, open that section a little, install the bracket underneath the carpet, then cover it with the carpet you previously cut and glue it so it won't show....
It's what i did anyways, I think it looks a liitle better without the brackets showing.
kinda like this:
Old 08-27-2005

that would work. might even be easier than mounting them backwards and having the box over the bottom of them like I did. good idea
Old 08-27-2005

Yeah, I installed my brackets this way. I thought they'd hold the subs better in place, and the rug going over the brackets thing occured to me at the last minute, he he...
Here are some pics...you can barely notice it, but the brackets are there.

Here it can be seen better.
I did the same on the subs as well...

Last edited by cubanmike26; 08-27-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-27-2005

wow those are almost impossible to see in the pics. im assuming that in person you can see them a little more, but still that looks alot better than what I did. good idea!
Old 08-27-2005

Thanks Diskreet!
Yall can do the same if you like...I don't have copy right laws on the brackets yet.
Old 08-27-2005

lol if i get the urge to i may just carpet over what I do have already so its no more holes and such. but you led me in the right direction.

ok im off to get that copyrighted!
lol j/k!
Old 09-03-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hey diskreet, I liked ur idea so I went ahead & did it today, itz really nice, everything fits just perfect, Thanks for the DIY, it took me about 3-4 hrs cuz I didn't have to think
heres some quick pics:

I also finally did the DYNAMAT that was sitting in the garage for months:

I did this part about 6 months ago, it took me alot longer cuz I had to think alot, lol:

I really need to organize those wires, any ideas would be appreciated
Old 09-03-2005

lol looking good.

for the wires you can buy those things that have double sided tape or a screw hole that grab wires and hold them in place. check this link out. has everything you could need:
http://www.cardomain.com/shop/list.p...ment&x=46&y=13

and you're welcome. like I stated before I am glad people are taking my idea and using it. You can surely use some wire management though!
Old 09-04-2005
Banned

01redJDM is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the link, as u can see my audio is always a work in progress cuz I barely get any time to spend on the car. Nice DIY's like this make it alot easier to get the work do ne fast Because I DON'T LIKE THINKING
Old 09-04-2005

haha you're welcome. and Thats why i took a few hours to write this. I figured it something many of use would want to do, but now you know what to look out for and you can learn from my mistakes. Also you have it spelled out for you so it takes almost all of the guess work out.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

dj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to alldj02 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by diskreet
Hope this gets added to DIY section!

done and done
Old 11-10-2005

yay thanks dj02
Old 12-01-2005

pics finally fixed
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

wicked8932 is an unknown quantity at this point
no they aren't...
Old 03-06-2006

uploadit.org goes down once in a while. they will be back up later.
Old 03-10-2006
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
I wished you used internal springs when you did this. that way, when all the guys copy the design, it wouldn't have the lame metal ruining what would otherwise be near perfect.
Old 03-10-2006

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit
I wished you used internal springs when you did this. that way, when all the guys copy the design, it wouldn't have the lame metal ruining what would otherwise be near perfect.
What metal?
Anyway, I can carpet over anything and hide any metal lol.

Quick Reply: DIY: Custom Trunk II !with access to spare tire!