DIY: Custom Trunk II !with access to spare tire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005
My car breaks and explodes for no apparent reason.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MugenTak is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks good.
Old 06-23-2005
2k1civic.com O. G.

AzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enoughAzNmiKex215 will become famous soon enough
i love seeing stuff like that!!!! thats what its all about. having ICE without having to remove something IMPORTANT like the spare tire. My setup has always had this principle!

REPS FOR YOU MAN!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
diskreet what is the distance from the back of your trunk to the hinge?

i bet if you raised the entire floor up 1.5 inches using 2x2's or 2x4's, you could stick your hand in there and screw off the little doodad that holds the spare tire on... also if you raise it up 1.5" and extned the box alittle more toward the back seat so it overlaps that hump, you can bolt your whole floor right to that hump nad have it extra secure

mine is raised like I mentioned and it looks like you have as much space as I have at the back of the trunk (my amp rack is removable) and I can reach in there and get the spare out no problem, and it is held down with the factory thing

Old 06-23-2005
Registered!!

03civda is an unknown quantity at this point
That looks great!
Old 06-23-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
well i did this off the top of my head with only inspiration, nothing solid. so any mistakes I made, I wrote in so you know how to fix them yourself. Learn and expand on my design! thats the main purpose here. Change anything you want! Improve it please then post pics!

about the raising up thing, I just dont have the room and if I do I need to cut the side amp piece of wood to make room for the higher floor. its a good idea but its too late. plus this is only a daily driver, not ever going to be in a show!
I just want it nicer than usual but finctional, which is exactly what I accomplished!
Old 06-23-2005
Banned

MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
just curious, how long did it take you to make that?
Old 06-23-2005

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
i worked off and on, going through a first design then re-doing most of the work. so a little over 20 hours total. Also I never did anything like this before so I took it REALLY slow.
Old 06-30-2005

just letting everyone know I updated it a tiny bit. I added a link to exactly where I got my carpeting in the supplies list.
Old 07-03-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
I was just wondering...were you still able to access the spare tire w/ no clearance problems? Seems from the pic. that it'd prove kind of difficult, specially since the spare tire has such a long screw...
Old 07-03-2005
Banned

If you read through it, he says somewhere that he removed the screw and the spare tire is just sitting loose
Old 07-03-2005

yeah the spare is sitting loose. i might throw an old pillow down there but as for the tire it doesnt move at all; even under hard turning, accellerating, braking, etc.
Old 07-04-2005
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
take off those hinges, and when the box is out of your trunk it would look like a stock wrx.

its clever.
Old 07-04-2005
Registered!!

chrisavs is an unknown quantity at this point
I did something pretty similar i posted up a while back

Old 07-04-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Hey, that's nice too, but why didn't you carpet the box as well? I think it'll look cleaner.
Old 07-04-2005
Registered!!

chrisavs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
Hey, that's nice too, but why didn't you carpet the box as well? I think it'll look cleaner.
yea i thought bout that and i agree, but i have a cheap amp and heats up quick and the more carpet i have in the box the hotter it will get, i already have 2 computer fans running through the box to keep it cool, ill probably end up painting it black or something then possibly tinting the glass
Old 07-04-2005

I was going to do that exact same set-up but with a 500/1 AND a cap I didnt have enough clearance!
good job though. i remember seeing your trunk as inspiration for mine!
Old 07-10-2005
Registered!!

Slick911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey,
Excellent clean setup but im just curious about your sub box. Why do you have the two subs semi facing each other? Wouldnt that cause distortion or some problems at least? Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005

the sub box is actually made BY JL Audio for those specific subs. so however it is laid out I am pretty sure they wouldn't sacrifice quality for looks. sounds amazing!
Old 07-11-2005
Registered!!

robo_pimp is an unknown quantity at this point
thats is soo smart and yet soo simple
Old 07-15-2005

just letting you guys know to watch the carpet on the wood piece that folds up. I didn't use alot of glue and it started to lift on the edges of the carpet. I re-sprayed it yesterday so its all ok now, but just letting you know to secure it with ALOT of spray glue. That way the heat of the trunk won't let it pull off.
Old 07-20-2005
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had my rear part(the one closer to rear tail, cut with curves) done a year ago. Except that I was using 1/2" MDF and, due to lack of access to power tools, I gave up the front part. Took me about 3 hours using hand wood saw under 98 degree with 70% humidity in the afternoon to just cut the board. Not to mention reinstalling everything back to position.
Old 07-20-2005

wow took me like 20 mins i think to cut those 2 sides. not counting iced tea break.
Old 07-22-2005
Banned

diskreet how did you apply the carpet? should have wraped it around the sides and underneath and stapled it from the bottom

you never want to apply too much glue of any kind, it could seep through your carpet if you are not careful and then you have a real mess on your hands

from what I have heard, spray glue is really crappy stuff, contact cement is what I use and it's the shiznat. don't have to apply too much and i have never had any problems with the carpet lifting off the wood.
Old 07-22-2005

I used 3m Super 77 spray adhesive. bonds almost anything. works well
I will staple the carpet on the piece that lifts up if i get access to a staple gun ever. till then I HAVE fixed it from sagging (cause I forgot to spray under it well)
so it works well for me!

edit: yeah its around the sides and bottom but I only glued not stapled... yet
Old 07-22-2005

Oh that's the same spray I used from Home Depot, it held pretty good...I put staples when I did mine too...the trunk floor looks a lot better now.
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

LilCiVicKiD is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Which carpet is the one u ordered? from crutchfield the charcoal or carpet silver. im not sure which one it is for mine, I have a silver vic like so our carpets should be the same. Cuz i want to order it but don't want to get the wrong one.
Old 08-01-2005

from my email'ed reciept:

Item
060CSLVR3

Description
Box Carpet silver 3-yards
Old 08-01-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
very nice mines set up simular
Old 08-02-2005
Registered!!

LilCiVicKiD is an unknown quantity at this point
I shall order and get started thanks
Old 08-02-2005

welcome... good luck!

Quick Reply: DIY: Custom Trunk II !with access to spare tire!