Post pics of your paint work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03civict is an unknown quantity at this point
Post pics of your paint work.

Just recently painted my car and just thought it would be nice to have everyone show off some of their handy work. Post anything from the whole car to a little fender work or your blacked out headlights.

This is the white i painted the car the first time, i bought the paint from homehardware for $35.00 a gallon, reduced it probably half and half and poured some activator in her and there it was, didnt turn out too bad for what it cost me but of course i did all the labour and painting myself.

Since i painted it white from the old man tan color it used to be, i hit a giant raccon and smashed up the front bumper, bending in the rad support and i cant beleive it didnt go through the rad, and the rear bumper got drove into so both the bumper covers were replaced and then making me think i may as well paint the whole car if i got to paint the bumpers. This picture i got the bumpers dropped and doing little body work in the wheel wells and some on the hood and sides.

After i sanded the old paint i layed on the primer then sanded that as well
then rubbed it all down with a reducer to remove any oil or anyother substance that would give me fish eyes when i paint.

I still got to paint my spoiler and get that on but i was so tired by the time i got the whole thing done i said i would save it for another day.
Old 06-11-2013
Registered!!

Re: Post pics of your paint work.

Sheesh not even one "good job " for a amateur painter, got some tough critics out there , if anyone else do any painting I'd like to see it or if anyone has any questions about painting this is the thread for it . Ill answer any questions I can
Old 06-11-2013
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

Forum isn't as active as it used to be. I am in no way an expert at painting but it looks like you did a nice job with the stuff you used. That being said, I wouldn't think $35 worth of paint from a home supply store would be the right stuff to use to paint a car. Where did you learn to paint and how often do you do it?

Edit: Also, wouldn't you want to remove the lights, hood trim, etc? I mean it's not too difficult and I would think the paint would bead into those small spaces between parts.
Old 06-11-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks great. Our cars are getting older so a professional paint job almost isn't worth it any more. I think you did a great job problem with the paint you go is that if you take it on the highway it will start to chip and peel off. But again, if you can repaint it every year who cares
Old 06-12-2013
Registered!!

Hey guys yeah in the first picture where it's white is the first time I painted it and that's when I used the $35 tremclad, and it did like blueem2 says it started to peel and chip real easy considering it was just cheap paint, I was just starting to do body work at the time and just wanted to give it a shot. About a year later I was doing lots of body work at my job and was getting used to using real automotive paint So I figured I would try again giving it a little harder try this time around. As far as not taking out the lights and such It didn't bother me too much since there was no rust on those spots and noone was gonna see it anyway so I didn't bother , just doing what I did took 23 hours in one weekend. The paint i used this time was a urethane based single stage paint, single stage meaning the clear is in the paint so no need to spray clear after the base coat , this paint is much more durable and would be what a pro would spray so it will probably oh outlive the power train on the old girl .
Old 06-12-2013
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Not necessarily. MOST aftermarket paint jobs peel where rocks come into contact with it after a while. No paint job is as good as OEM, none. It still looks good though I'm not trying to take away from it and you did a great job. If your job was as good as a paint shop it's still inferior as to an OEM paint job though. But, if your paint is destroyed, why the hell not? Props for doing it for sure. Reputable paint shops will always spray clear on after.

You need to paint the lip though