DIY: Blacked out altezza tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
DIY: Blacked out altezza tail lights

First I would like to give appropriate recognition in Viper, I followed head light DIY for part of this, and to tuningmycivic, who completed this project first and helped me along the way with mine.

Supplies Needed:
Adhesion Promoter
Black Paint-Krylon Fusion recommended
Clear coat or clear enamel
sand paper
caulk

Step 1: After removing the tail lights from the car, remove the foam seal at the back of hte lights. Now heat ur oven to approximately 225 degrees F. Heat the lights for 4-5 minutes, then remove. The lights are hot, and you may wish to allow them to cool first. However, they are much easier to separate when hot.

Pry the lens off gently with a screw driver. there are several clips around the edge that must be separated as your pull it apart. Be very careful pulling the lens off, it towards the thin corner it will snap off very easily. If it does, some clear epoxy will suffice to repair it.

Step 2: Once separated, you will need to sand all the parts of hte light htat you wish to paint. Use a high grit paper, and do it only enough to scuff hte surface. If you go too deep, you will scratch it up and the scratchs will show after you paint

Step 3: Now here you have 2 options. For my project, i taped off all the lens so that they woudl not get painted. tuningmycivic, however, removed the lens that were removable first. both of these methods have their negtaives. By taping everythign, you risk a poor tape job and getting paint on the sides of the lens. If you remove the lens you risk getting paint on the inner reflective surfaces. Your choice.

Step 4: Now for the fun part, painting. First you will want to spray on a coat of adehision promoter, just incase your scuff job wasnt enough. After that dries, move to the black. Any kind of paint for plastic should work, however I used the Krylon Fusion. Might as well go with the good stuff. Do multiple thin coats, up to 4. After these dry, 2 coats of a clear sealer go next. I used automotive clear coat, you could also use a clear enamel.

Step 5: After allwong the paint to dry for several hours, remove the tape. If you taped well, you shoudl have few problems.

Step 6: Now you will need to reseal the lenses. GET GOOD CAULK!!! That cannot be stressed enough. Run a line of caulk all around the light, and press the lens back into place. Hold it there for up to 15 minutes to ensure i good seal. Find clear caulk, there will be over run on both sides and you will be able to see it on the inside of the light.

I made the mistake of buying caulk that clears in 7 -14 days, so in the pictures youw ill see caulk on the inside of the lens. when it clears totally i will post new pictures.

Wipe off any over run onthe outside, and allow to dry for up to 24 hours. Then reinstall. You now have blacked out altezzas. Enjoy.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
I always wanted to try to do this. It seems easier than the headlights (no bumper removal), now I'm gonnn have to...

Nice write up!
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
Good write up! I have a pair of the carbon fiber looking ones sitting in my garage because they're garbage and leak.... I was just gonna seal them and sell them but I might try this out.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

admit1 has a spectacular aura aboutadmit1 has a spectacular aura aboutadmit1 has a spectacular aura about
that's pretty nice work. I'd try it myself if I wasn't so lazy.
Old 09-14-2006
Registered!!

DaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of lightDaRk_MauL is a glorious beacon of light
i did a friend of mine his headlight
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

civic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura about
id try that but i has the 05 led that are built in so i dont want to melt the bulbs or anything but nice diy
Old 09-20-2006
Registered!!

XxmanglerxX is a jewel in the roughXxmanglerxX is a jewel in the roughXxmanglerxX is a jewel in the roughXxmanglerxX is a jewel in the rough
Too bad they sell em black but good work man!

Im thinking of opening my black tails and darkening that clear lense on the inside...
Old 11-30-2006
You VTEC...I-VTEC
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
what was the adhesion promoter used for?
Old 11-30-2006
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Ashhole will become famous soon enoughAshhole will become famous soon enough
its basiclly a clear primer. helps the paint stick hte plastic better, so you dont wind up with any runs in it
Old 11-30-2006
You VTEC...I-VTEC

sniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of lightsniperscout is a glorious beacon of light
interesting, think that would work with the spray tint?
Old 08-19-2010
Registered!!

ffs-IM-MAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Blacked out altezza tail lights

I tried this with my honda civic black lexus lights they melted in the oven changed shape a bit i tried prying the lens off was impossible the lens just kept braking n snaping till the light was just a piece of **** so I ended up throwing it away. Be better off using a electric circular saw around the edges n glueing the lens back on with epoxy Im ****ing angry!!!
Old 08-19-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Blacked out altezza tail lights

If you do it right, they won't melt. So with that said, you did it wrong. I've stuck numerous pairs of headlights in the oven and I've never had any warping or melting. However, I've graduated to using a heatgun to separate headlights.