DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
allshownogo01 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow
that actually worked! thanks alot man, btw nice absculptor in the trunk jp with u
Old 03-04-2005
Proudly Canadian

Slawek is an unknown quantity at this point
well my problem is i have a clear license plate cover that rattles. the actual plate doesnt, but the clear cover does.. how can i fix that?
Old 03-04-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
take it off. Looks better w/o one anyways. Or go buy a 10 buck dynamate license plate thing, they give you a cover tha works with it, but all it is, is sticky on one side and soft (or rubberish feel) on the other type of stuff in little strips that fit between the plate and cover. Just look for something like I described and stick it in there.
Old 03-24-2005
Won By One

teamPR0 is an unknown quantity at this point
i tried to take off the plastic cover part and i cracked it.
Old 03-24-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
u can always go and by double sided tape and put that on oneside of the plate and the ohter on clear cover
Old 03-25-2005
The Declaration of Independence was written on marijuna paper

Ellocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the roughEllocodetroit is a jewel in the rough
Damn this worked. My trunk is harder to close but it still closes. I put like 6 layers of double sided tape on top of one another and placed it behind the plate and no more plate rattle.
Old 03-25-2005
One Slow Civic.... But I can take turns pretty well :-)

Blahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trustedBlahman2 should not be trusted
tag for later
Old 03-25-2005
Registered!!

K20A_Wanabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Just turn it up louder thats what i do lolz but i'll try it when i get home from school.
Old 04-03-2005
Registered!!

Slick911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, guys
Sorry for a late post but i'm going to try this DIY because at first i thought my liscence plate was rattling. So i tried taking it off and it still rattles :O. So i started pushing the space where the liscence plate was and that deaden all the rattling. So im not sure what the quick fix for this problem would be. Thanks in advance
Old 06-03-2005
Registered!!

xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
i wedged a wood piece about 1.5"-2" long in a hole under the brake light. I wedged it so that it holds the plastic piece in a way that it cannot vibrate. You would have to open the trunk, look under to where u see the brake light and look in there for what im talking about. Also used some pads to fix the brake light into place firmly so it doesnt shake. No rattling. I'll post pics if I can but its pretty self explanatory if u take a look in the trunk. peace
Old 06-03-2005
Registered!!

but anyway im gonna try the DIY in a couple days if not tonight. hope **** works
is there an update on the ac vent rattling how do i fix that? the noise in the rear drivers side? anybody?...thanks
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

-JB- is an unknown quantity at this point
i only had a chance to try the first part with the rubber stoppers, and it helped a little bit, but i still get a VERY loud occasional rattle. so i need to fix that. my stoppers go all the way out to where they almost come off, and my trunk will still close. should i leave em like that or should i screw em in so only 2 rings are showing? (like the diy says) the problem with leaving only 2 showing is that the rattling is ALOT worse....

im prolly gonna mess with the latch tomorrow. for those that did, what part of the panel did you start pulling on to take it off? like the bottom part where it meets the floor of the trunk? or what?

thx all. nice diy
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

wow it took me like 5 min to fix it and i was so happy it dont rattle no more. jus pull up the trunkboard and you'll see the plastic piece covering the latch. on the side from the bottom jus run ur finger up and it should pop out of place. there are 4 clips going across the plastic piece total and it clips back in easily. it wasnt hard at all to unclip. and my trunk doesnt rattle at all anymore. jus gotta do the rear deck and some noise from drivers rear side
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

its a great DIY, jus harder now to close the trunk but its all good.
Old 06-05-2005
Registered!!

-JB- is an unknown quantity at this point
well i moved my latch down and now all the loud rattles are gone, but the top of my trunk is still vibrating like mad. its just a slight "bzz...bzz.." but its kinda noticable. im thinkin of just gettin some dynamat extreme to cover the top of the trunk with. hopefully thatll help.

for those that have used dynamat extreme, how many square feet did you need??
Old 06-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CivicRidaz1
but anyway im gonna try the DIY in a couple days if not tonight. hope **** works
is there an update on the ac vent rattling how do i fix that? the noise in the rear drivers side? anybody?...thanks
hey well i'll update myself since nobody else can answer because they're lazy or whatever prevents them to reply and help us out...

heres a pic of the vent that rattles on the rear driver's side, it makes a flapping noise everytime bass hits. all u gotta do is shove somethin in there or put a sticky tab or any other object that prevents the flap from hitting the lid directly.

very easy to fix. other wise once again great DIY except for fact trunk is hard to close...peace

Old 08-19-2005
Wish I had a Turbo 3)

04|5spdCivic can only hope to improve
awesome. im gonna do this right now before i forget.
Old 10-11-2005
Registered!!

sparks_5248 is an unknown quantity at this point
instead of shoving a sock or something above your rear brake light try putting strips of dynamat along the edge that sits agains the window. Thats what i did. We did it when we were replacing the factory speakers. If your windows are tinted you cannot even tell its there if your neat with it. we have no rattling inside our car. Just that darn trunk latch.
Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!

Originally Posted by sparks_5248
instead of shoving a sock or something above your rear brake light try putting strips of dynamat along the edge that sits agains the window. Thats what i did. We did it when we were replacing the factory speakers. If your windows are tinted you cannot even tell its there if your neat with it. we have no rattling inside our car. Just that darn trunk latch.
Yeah. The dynamat helps. I still haven't been able to get rid of the trunk rattle. I like how easy it is atm to close my trunk. I just let it fall and it closes itself, but everyone else slams it. I've tried playing with the latch before, but I'd have to slam the trunk to get it to lock.

Does anyone have their door lock tab things rattle? Nothing else could be rattling in my door because there's a layer of dynamat.
Old 10-09-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

um, you should have to slam the trunk a little bit, if you just drop it closed, its prolly not sealing well. for the door locks, i put a lil foam behind the piece.
Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

yingjai is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I gotta go fix the trunk soon.
foam as in spray or block? do you have any pix of your door from before?
Old 10-09-2008
Registered!!

honda05chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know where you can get color matched carpet or whatever is in the back trunk because dynamat is ugly?? haha
Old 10-10-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

hey i have an extra grey carpet piece with the foam that fits over the cardboard piece. its just sitting in the garage cause i bought a new one already thinking parents lost the old one during moving. it fits sedan only i think. i can take a pic if youre interested.

about the door lock, i used a piece of packing foam like the sponge type stuff and glued it to the door. problem is it falls out sometimes and door rattle starts again. i need a better solution.
Old 10-10-2008
Registered!!

fbi90909 is an unknown quantity at this point

saw this thread, i know it's old as hell but i felt like posting. i'm a lurker btw. :P
well, good tips but, what happens if your trunk cracks like mine? lol

Old 10-10-2008
Premium Member

metal weld epoxy putty! i found a few place like that inside where the trunk just had holes in the metal from rust. you can get it from most auto stores and its made by permatex. basically you cut out a small chunk, knead it together with your fingers til the two layers are mixed, then push it all around the area to be sealed and in 5-10 mins, it will become rock hard like metal.
Old 03-14-2009
Registered!!

mjpeez is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!

sounds like a great idea if you don't give a **** about aligning your trunk lid.

the socks are pretty classy too.

Old 03-15-2009
Premium Member

actually after lowering the rubber stoppers to max and the latch too, my trunk lid lines up much better with the body and seals tighter.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

westcali_playa is an unknown quantity at this point

just tightened the trunk lid, stops some rattles. also wedged a black hand towel in between the 3rd break light and the window on the rear deck, that seems to eliminate most rattles from the rear. took off both front doors and re-drilled my kenwood 6/9s tighter which really helps rattles with the mids.
no more rattles for me, although my 2 12s are kinda underpowered with a 400w amp so once i upgrade i will prolly need to use some fatmat on the trunk lid
Old 08-02-2009
Registered!!

03civiclxcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

i have the same problem trunk rattles...but never have any problem with the rattle inside the trunk just the license plate rattles and i took care of that putting like a cloth behind the license plate lol....but now i got rattling on the passenger rear side panel by the arm rest thing.
Old 08-07-2009
Registered!!

gudoffer is an unknown quantity at this point

cant c the pics ...

Quick Reply: DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!