DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!

Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seabass is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey everyone, if anyone wants help on how to make the trunk lid from rattling then just post here, i basically have done EVERYTHING to my trunk/car to deaden it, from filling it with expandable foam, to using fatmat/dynamat, to using carpet liner, the works, just post here and ill explain it. Peace.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice7thGenerasianCivic is just really nice
ok... explain please! My trunk still rattles a little but way better than before.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
yeah, i have some fat mat, i did my trunk lid, but it almost did nothing, where exactly should i place this stuff
Old 01-23-2004
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
how do you get behind interior rear side panels, like below the triangle windows. i have buzzing coming from there, and i can only pry alittle bit to get shoot foam in. but its not doin to much.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by 7thGenerasianCivic
ok... explain please! My trunk still rattles a little but way better than before.

Thanks
Ok this is what i basically did with the trunk, i did what this diy says, but added more. Ok first i used expanding foam(the ones you can buy at walmart in a can) then took the lid off(unscrewed it and layed it on a matt) then i used the expanding foam on all the areas except for the spots that could interfear with the trunks functions(such as the hinges for the lock and the bar) basically just use a flashlight and look into it and see if theres anything there that might be important. Then shoot the expandable foam as far as you can into the lid and let it rest for a little because it will expand a lot. Then go back after about an hour or so and spray more until you are done the entire trunk. Basically your whole trunk should be filled, if not close to almost full. Then i used 2 layers of fatmatt to cover the entire lid with the sound dampener. Then i covered the walls of the trunk with 2 layers of fatmat. That got the lid from not rattling but the liscense plate still rattled. I know this is a ghetto solution but this is the BEST way to get rid of it, it will NEVER rattle again, well i took a medium sized sponge and taped it to the back of the plate, you never notice it unless you open your trunk and look at it, trust me this is a good way to get rid of it. Ok and if this all doesnt work then put your bass real high and get out of the car and listen to the rattle(while the trunk is closed), now if its rattling then get on top of the lid(sit on it) and if it stops rattling then that basically told you the seals not tight enough. To get rid of the raddle i would reccomend using a little strip of fattmat on the rubber gourmets( i think thats how you spell it, lol). Another problem that sometimes occurs is that the bumper rattles. Again put your bass up and hold your back bumper firmly, if it stops rattling then you know its the bumper. Well the thing about this one is that i dont know the solution yet, lol...I just had this problem about 2 days ago because my sister backed into her car with my car, and it didnt ruin the body cuz she was going like 2 miles/hour, but it made the bumper start rattling. I'll keep you guys poster when I get a chance to fix the problem. OH yeh, and if you already covered your lid with a sound deadener and you still want to fill it with expandable foam then just cut holes in the areas that you know you can fill it up with the foam, then fill it up, and then cover them back up again. Now thats all i have done, because mine no longer rattles, at all, but basically figure out what the problem area is and work from there.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by player
yeah, i have some fat mat, i did my trunk lid, but it almost did nothing, where exactly should i place this stuff
Read what I wrote and tell me if it still rattles, if it does tell me where its coming from and I can help you out.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by reytito
how do you get behind interior rear side panels, like below the triangle windows. i have buzzing coming from there, and i can only pry alittle bit to get shoot foam in. but its not doin to much.
hey, ill tell you all of it in a little, ill go out there and give you full instructions.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Goku is an unknown quantity at this point
okay well most of you gues no NOTHIGN about systems and all the rattle you are getting if from your license plate there is nothign you can do take your plate off and go for a drive or turn your system up no more rattle i work on peopels calls all day doing **** liek that you can tighen it down witch will help but if you have a wing on yout car too that will do it but i say tighten your license plate down as tight as you can get it or jsut take it off hope this helps if you really need help email me GOLDEN CIVIC@aol.com
Old 01-23-2004
He can only tell us white people apart by the tone of our skin.

reytito is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^ um, yeah
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by Goku
okay well most of you gues no NOTHIGN about systems and all the rattle you are getting if from your license plate there is nothign you can do take your plate off and go for a drive or turn your system up no more rattle i work on peopels calls all day doing **** liek that you can tighen it down witch will help but if you have a wing on yout car too that will do it but i say tighten your license plate down as tight as you can get it or jsut take it off hope this helps if you really need help email me GOLDEN CIVIC@aol.com
Wow I really hope your foreign or drunk.

And taking off the liscense plate would be illegal, do as I said, tape a sponge to the back of the plate.
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

lunn2k1blue is an unknown quantity at this point
whats this about bolting the bottom of the plate down?

because my plate the bottom freakin pops out and looks horrible, it WOULD look much much better bolted down right, but i dont want to just drill holes into my trunk, id rather do it right...
Old 03-16-2004
Registered!!

theas02lx is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I have 2 12's runnin at 1100 a piece and I eliminated most of the "trunk funk" from facing my subs towards the back of the seats, plus it makes for a really nice looking install.
Old 03-31-2004
Banned
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud ofMegaHurtz has much to be proud of
I have noticed that even with my stock speakers (don't have my subs in quite yet), I have a small but noticable rattle on my door. I think it is caused by the uh... not sure what the part is called, the button you push when you wnat to lock the doors, waht you would push down if you didn't have power door locks. The name for this part just escapes me. But anyway, it vibrates and is kind of annoying and worries me about what will happen once the subs go in

Any quick/easy fix for this?
Old 04-09-2004
Registered!!

Black02Civ is an unknown quantity at this point
Plastic cover in trunk

yo that worked pretty good, i have one 12" JL W3v2 in a vented box with a JL amp and it used to rattle the lid like crazy, but now it's pretty much all gone. But the thing is my trunk doesnt close when i put the plastic cover back on. i loosened the rubber stoppers a little and it closed, but the rattle was still there. so right now i just have the platic cover off cuz it sounds the best with out it. is there a way to put the cover on while keeping the lid nice and tight??? PEACE
Old 04-09-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
I put a folded over papertowel near where the rear brakelight bulb is in the trunk.I have no more noise from my 6x9's rattling.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

nitsuj1604 is an unknown quantity at this point
sooooo anyone ever post anything about the rear deck rattle fix?
also, i have an 04 ex and my rattle doesnt come from loud music, it just happens somewhat randomly while im driving, some where from the back. and when i slam my driver door shut i can also hear something rattle. no sure if it the same thing, let me know if you have any ideas. my last car's suspension was f'ed up and it rattled from the back at somewhat random times but i would hope that my suspension wouldnt be destroyed already. when there was all the rain around here i was driving and hit a huge pothole cuz i couldnt see it cuz the water was so deep but that couldnt have busted my suspension could it have?
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Someone put a sock inbetween the window and deck lid where the brake light is. For license plate rattle, just put some dynamat on the back of it.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

well i saw that but i dont want a sock in my window, jsut seeing if anyone have done a different fix
Old 06-06-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I put some of that ept foam that honda uses. It has a sticky side and you can hide it enough not to be visible. Although I still get rattles now and then.
Old 06-06-2004
Registered!!

just in between the plastic cover on the rear deck and the actual metal rear deck?
Old 06-07-2004
Registered!!

grimace360 is an unknown quantity at this point
Snot ball

if i was you i would just remove it all and make a custom piece out of fiberglass remove the rear deck along with the back seat shed some weight and give your car a little custom look. you knwo throw in a few bottles of spray and relieve the rattle in one wack
Old 06-07-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
81 responses to this post
Old 06-13-2004

DONTPULLMEOVER is an unknown quantity at this point
Iliminated trunk rattle! Here is what I did... Took off license plate and caulked, glued and re-applied... DONE!

Took of rear Honda Emblem, took off two sided tape and glued back on... DONE!

In trunk lid, injected a two part solution which creates a closed cell foam grey in colour. That keeps the the panels from rattling sooo much. Only 25$ at a local Toyota Dealership... DONE!

Went to Dollerama store and bought two rolls of black duct tape. Taped every hole in rear trunk lid... DONE! and you almost can't even notice the tape because the colour matched freakin awesome.

Last but not least, Applied a small gasket under the rear spoiler and re-fastened...DONE!

only think rattling now in my brain and I did not use any Fat Mat, Dyno Mat, Brown stuff whatever!

Old 06-18-2004
Premium Member

jmiester96 will become famous soon enoughjmiester96 will become famous soon enough
I just slipped an old shirt over teh 3rd braqke light, works wonders lol.
Old 06-22-2004
Registered!!

rideboarder is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah do a DIY that would be great!
Old 09-18-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
i did this diy about 3 months ago and was checking up on it a few days ago. turns out that if you have an oem spoiler and do this, you may be fvcked! i moved the trunk latch to the last tick and this caused my spoiler edges to slightly hit the body of the car every time i close the trunk. damn it, now the spoiler is cracking around the screws. im so pissed, i cant find my damn 10mm socket wrench either. im going to the store tomorrow and undoing this diy.
Old 09-20-2004
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
meh I have dynamat and cant really see how lowering this U lock would make a signifigant difference.

Now im worried about those bolts rattling out of place and my trunk lid flying open on the highway
Old 09-22-2004
Registered!!

CaliDohBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is my take for the license plate... simple... easy... cheap.

I first noticed a rattle from my license plate before i had the system in. It would rattle everytime I closed the trunk which bugged me.

I have a chrome CIVIC license plate holder and then the plate itself.

Go to Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and get 1" Foam Weatherstripping. It's black in color and has adhesive on one side.

Apply one strip to bottom of holder on back. Apply second strip to bottom of license plate on back.

D. O. N. E. DONE.

Trust me. The only rattle I have now is a small rattle from the sub caused by the bottom of the trunk lid (to which the DIY refers to) and now I'm going to fix it with this know how.
Old 12-12-2004
Registered!!

VooDoo_CiviC is an unknown quantity at this point
HAHA sock's! that kick's a$$ I folded a few sheet's Burger King napkins in between the Lic. plate and trunk haha it worked for the Lic. from making that pebbles in a tin can noise or was that just my car? haha oh well it happens
Old 12-15-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
I took out my deck lid, and ran some weatherstripping thats about 3/4" wide and sticky on one side. It is a soft feeling black roll that it comes in. I placed that along the whole edge of the lid by the window (placed on lid though). Than I reinstalled it, and rattles were gone, and you cant see it! I figured that sock thing out like 3 years ago, but I used a small piece of paper towel folded up. a sock would be way to big and unclean, IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: No More Trunk Rattle!