If You Are Having Car Problems And Your Check Engine Light Is On, Please Read This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NitroCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: If You Are Having Car Problems And Your Check Engine Light Is On, Please Read Thi

I need help. I have a 2001 Civic and I have the infamous P0420 code. I'm trying to decide whether to have a shop replace it with a factory cat which is extremely expensive or buy an aftermarket and do it myself. Has anyone used an aftermarket cat and had good success ? If so, what brand and from where ? I do most of the repairs myself at home but had a couple of items I couldn't resolve in a home garage and took it to a mechanic i know. He can get the factory Honda cat cheaper than me but its still twice what I've seen most after markets go for. Thanks in advance for the help !!!

NitroCivic
Old 06-07-2011
Registered!!

frostdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: If You Are Having Car Problems And Your Check Engine Light Is On, Please Read Thi

my throttle sensor is going cause my engine light is on. do you kfnow were i can get one whitout going to the dealer?
Old 09-09-2011
Registered!!

wingsfan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Autozone and O'reilly will check your codes and give you the print out for free.
Old 04-24-2012
Registered!!

lorne17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frostdragon
my throttle sensor is going cause my engine light is on. do you kfnow were i can get one whitout going to the dealer?
My engine light is on as well for the Throttle Position Sensor. Can I purchase this elsewhere?

The dealer wants $300 for it.
Old 04-26-2012
Registered!!

b.reice610 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 02 civic lx. 1.7L 4 cylinder Engine. It was inspected since June of last year and the engine light has been on since before then. About a month ago the SRS light came on. It seems like the car doesn't shift right since then and about a week ago it started making really weird noises and knocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QA-cfqUmTo
(a video so you can kind of get an idea of the sound)

Today my mechanic said something about a bad cylinder and that it'd be cheaper to get a new car instead of replacing the motor. (It only took him 3 seconds of hearing the car to say this) I was just looking for some other opinions, and if the cylinder in the motor is what is actually wrong with it.
Old 08-20-2013
Registered!!

lumide01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the cat out off my 2005 Honda civic vp for more HP but now my check engine light stays on. Any ideas to correct this?
Old 09-06-2013
Registered!!

UNKNOWN414 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had some electrical issues on my car so I dismissed the check engine light coming on as something tied to a funky fuse or something of that nature. I got sick of looking at the darn light after a while so I found a nice low price OBD II scanner that works right with your android phone at a fraction of the cost of some of the more expensive brands. Found the code was tied to something completely different (but a cheap fix thankfully) The scanner I tried was from www.bafxpro.com, the bluetooth model.