Crank Pulley Bolt - (Cheap Way)

Old 02-06-2012

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
user 8230230 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank Pulley Bolt - (Cheap Way)

The proper method for installing the bolt is to torque it to 14 foot lbs then tighten it 90 degrees more.

The problem is keeping the crank from turning. You can either buy the expensive tool made for this or use my tip for about $20. An impact wrench is not reccomended.

I use the old alternator belt and vice grips as a strap wrench. Simply wrap the belt opposite the direction you need to turn the bolt and loop the other end around the half shaft then clamp the end, lining up the grooves, tightly with vice grips. I used 2 pair for extra holding. I had no problem removing or properly re-installing the bolt with this and a 24" Snap-on breaker bar.

Old 02-06-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genghis1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Crank Pulley Bolt - (Cheap Way)

Makes sense. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-07-2012
Registered!!

Rodrigo is an unknown quantity at this point

THAT is a freakin' awesome idea. Nicely done.
Old 04-30-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't recommend this. You could bend the half shaft. The load transfers to the CV joint and the output bearings in the diff. Both could be damaged. A chain wrench is $15 and will easily hold the pulley with out damaging anything as long as the old belt is wrapped around it.
Old 01-18-2013
Registered!!

Grey Ghost will become famous soon enoughGrey Ghost will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scooty
I wouldn't recommend this. You could bend the half shaft. The load transfers to the CV joint and the output bearings in the diff. Both could be damaged. A chain wrench is $15 and will easily hold the pulley with out damaging anything as long as the old belt is wrapped around it.
I did the chain wrench method successfully, but a word of warning, be sure to cover grooves of the pulley with a piece of cloth, preferably a piece of terry cloth. The chain chipped off some of the grooves. I am afraid this could lead to damage to the timing belt.
Old 01-19-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

or you can just.. rent the tool for cheap.. or buy it for all of $50.. It's really not all that much all things considered..
Old 01-19-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

This thread made me smile. Works I guess..Rented the tool @ the start of the project, then took it back after removal of the bolt. Installed everything, then got to the point of tightening the bolt... d'oh!! Rented it again lol.
Old 01-20-2013
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Lol, I went to the o'reilly and asked if I could buy it.. $50 later, I've definitely used it more than twice
Old 01-20-2013
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

Yup, it is one of those tools to keep handy. Especially if you have more than one honda
Old 09-21-2013
Registered!!

saujad is an unknown quantity at this point

We were able to hold our crankshaft by putting a allen head wrench in one of the small holes in our pulley and wedging the other end on the body of the car. Much to our surprise it held and the bolt loosen with our breaker bar.
Did the same in opposite direction to re-tighten the bolt.