Head Gasket + Timing Belt DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head Gasket + Timing Belt DIY

So fuel doesn't spray out when you disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail.. I didn't depressurize it, and only a little bit of fuel came out.
Old 06-04-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

i did not disconnect the line - just moved it to behind the intake
Old 06-04-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't disconnect the line. You will however get some fuel when disconnecting the injectors...
Old 06-13-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nibis is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know how much a shop/dealer would charge to do this.
I'm getting to old to work on cars like these, it would not be a problem if it were an older V8
Old 06-13-2011
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Nice DIY, I should have done this with my b series. I might go ahead and do that and show how to replace valves and everything to cause I'm in the process of that.
Old 06-14-2011
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone removing heads keep taking pictujres.. if enough pictures show up I might get the motivation to finish the reassemble for this.
Old 06-24-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

here is why the alternator bracket was a pain. Yes, there is a socket in there...
Name:  CopiedeDSC09619-1.jpg
Views: 33781
Size:  97.3 KB
Ah, do not go too hard on the crankshaft position sensor...
here is why: in 2 parts... wondering what next on that, but in 2 days to think about... not gonna work on that tonight - grrrr!
Name:  CopiedeDSC09622-1.jpg
Views: 34755
Size:  139.5 KB
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Additional info from another thread:
Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Long story short: TDC sensor vibrated loose, got caught in the timing belt, tore it up, end result was 16 bent valves.
^ That made me decide to keep the upper cover out - It was a pain to remove the sensor and afterwards i wanted to make sure everything was in place, so kept cover off - will not reduce belt life by that much anyways
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Also, there have been several members coming back from the timing belt job and having troubles of not going above xxxRPM, of car not working well.

I believe we did not mention, but HAVE a CODE READER handy for after the job is done and firing the engine up - solved a lot of the troubles i had afterwards. We need to disconnect too many of the control sensors out, and chances are you will have forgotten to hook up something...
Old 07-10-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Yes code reader is good to have around but hopefully you won't and shouldn't need it if your meticulous enough and take your time
Old 07-10-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by tbohar
but hopefully you won't and shouldn't need it if your meticulous enough and take your time
counted 3 in a week that does not meet requirements :P
Old 09-26-2011
Registered!!

robert1220 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just replaced the head on my 03 civic ex. 1.7 and now it idles rough. can any1 help me
Old 12-24-2011
Registered!!

wade623 is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone have the order for the head bolt to be reinstalled and also the torque for them? i might have to do this so im trying to find out before i do this
Old 01-21-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Ehh sorry for my late response but you don't need to get new head bolts unless youve already reused them. Honda head bolts arent stretch fit so they last a couple changes anyway. However, if you absolutely must replace them:

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index...20(SOHC%20VTEC)

^ Part #18 is your head bolt. 90005-PM3-003

I suggest getting ARP head studs if your replacing the bolts however.
Old 01-21-2012
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

and here's a link to the ARP ones. I decided to install a set of ARP headstuds i've had laying around for a while when I did my head gasket job.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_arp_head_stud_kithonda.cfm

Word of warning if you're gonna install 'em... I accidentally dropped one of the nuts in my downpipe when I was reassembling everything. Don't be like me. Lol

I forgot what the stock torque spec on head bolts were, but for the ARP studs, the torque spec is 60ft-lbs in 3 steps

source: http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/208-4301.pdf
Old 01-22-2012
Whachya lookin at?

I dropped a bolt into a gallon of oil I was using to lubricate them... *#(&%(@#*$&@(
Old 04-04-2012
Whachya lookin at?

I just realized I totally left out removing the driver side and front plastic shields from the car
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

MatthaiN is an unknown quantity at this point

When and if I ever get around to doing my head gasket... I am just going to pull the whole motor and mount it on an engine stand. I feel like that would be a bit easier access wise.
Old 04-08-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Probably about the same amount of work. Only you don't need to remove all the mounts and stuff. I say changing the head gasket is still easier.
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

06_typeS is an unknown quantity at this point

Can someone help me out? As I was taking apart the splash shield for the timing belt this bolt fell out, but I havent a clue where it came from.

Can someone help me out?
Old 04-08-2012
Administrator
Administrator

I believe that's the bolt that secures the bracket that the alternator tensioner bolt screws in to.
Old 04-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
bryan.0831 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 01_civicSi
Can someone help me out? As I was taking apart the splash shield for the timing belt this bolt fell out, but I havent a clue where it came from.

Can someone help me out?

Part B..??

Name:  Bolts.gif
Views: 33088
Size:  7.9 KB
Old 04-08-2012
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by bryan.0831
Part B..??

That's what I was thinking
Old 04-09-2012
Registered!!

Sweet. Thanks a lot guys.
Old 04-10-2012
Registered!!

Any idea of what to torque the stock head bolts too? Also I read that there is a pattern that ya have to do?
Old 04-10-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Before you torque them make sure you dip the cylinder head bolts in fresh new oil, from the tip of the bolt to near the head. The cylinder head is torqued three times with three different specifications. In this order:

Name:  CylinderHeadTorquing.png
Views: 37211
Size:  3.3 KB

First to 14 ft/lbs
Second to 36 ft/lbs
Third to 49 ft/lbs

That's it I suggest using a beam type torque wrench for the 14 ft/lbs. Up to you on the others.

If you do use a click type be very careful not to over tighten them, these aluminum heads don't like it much.
Old 04-18-2012
Registered!!

Boys, I'm having troubles. I got everything back together, all connectors hooked up, but the engine won't start. It just keeps turning over, we checked fuel, spark, air. No problems. We're completely stumped.
Old 04-18-2012
Administrator
Administrator

How long you try for? It may take a bit for your fuel lines to "fill" back up

Mine wouldn't start for a good couple of minutes, but when she finally did, she purred just fine
Old 04-18-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Yikes, mine fired right up like nobodies business... Turn the key to the II position without starting the car and back to off. Should prime enough gas to start it up. Still might take a couple attempts but you should be able to get it going. Other than that check your work over, if everything looks ok compression test might be in order.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Ive turned the car over enough to drain 2 batteries. The fuel pump is working, there is plenty of pressure in the fuel rail. But nothing coming out of the injectors. Do the cam sensor or crank sensor tell when the injectors to fire?

Quick Reply: Head Gasket + Timing Belt DIY