DIY: Forgotten Tune Up Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010
Trance Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light
Re: DIY: forgotten tune-up mods

Wow! Nice writeup! I'll definitely be doing this once it gets warm outside. I got the TB & WP done last year. Did the regular stuff for the tune up(plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV). Didn't switch the fuel filter though. How easy is this on a scale of 1-10? I think the most challenging thing I've done was bleed my clutch. Alldata ranked it a B. It took forever, but wasn't really tough. Just very time consuming. Especially when your friend doesn't tell you the reservoir is empty and to stop pumping
Old 02-13-2010
Registered!!

geetee03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would this do a good job?

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-68050-Va...094699&sr=8-10

I came across this tool, would it make adjusting the valves easier?

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-64882...=pd_sim_auto_1
Old 02-13-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

not sure about that jam nut tool. i doubt you would need it. just the feeler gauges

fuel filter on older civics is cake, its just a canister in the engine bay you replace. 01+ civic is in the gas tank and a pain to get to.
Old 02-14-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yep. I've seen it and heard it was a breeze to do as well. My only issue with working on cars is that I can't get enough of it now. I really have fun doing this and now I have even more excuses to be in my garage on the weekends
Old 02-14-2010
Registered!!

dads5150civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been on here in awhile. This was one of the first threads to pop up. I think this will be my spring-break project. As usually gearbox, nice work!
Old 02-15-2010
Registered!!

I just cleaned out the tb and iac, iac was pretty dirty. However, now at times I hear a subtle knocking sound at idle. I made it worse!

No check engine light, only seems to do it when its warmed up, I did do the idle re-learn.
Old 02-16-2010
Registered!!

Found the problem, I left the EGR hose off.
Old 03-21-2010
Registered!!

dxdude is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering which, if any of these are not applicable to dx models? (besides vtec solenoid obviously)
Old 03-21-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i think some DX (01-02) did not have the EGR valve either. its easy to check tho by looking at that location.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

Cosmo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter's 01 did not, but the 05 replacement engine did.
Old 05-05-2010
Premium Member

made some small updates on pics and text, adding a few more sections later...
Old 05-21-2010
Registered!!

Fabio Drummond is an unknown quantity at this point

Very good and instructive write-up, Gearbox ! Excellent photos too ! Many thanks !
I am sure it will be of great help to all of us.
Fabio.
Old 05-27-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

"01+ civic is in the gas tank and a pain to get to."

It's really not that bad. 1 bolt to take off backseat bottom. 4 bolts to take off access panel. Took half hour to do. Although I did have to pay $50 for a fuel sending wrench. Just couldn't get the dang thing out without it.

Really nice write-up gearbox.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted

Gearbox, have you had any problems with the BOSCH o2 sensor? My local shop was hesitant to put the o2 sensor in because they have bad experience with Bosch parts. They kept telling me to get NTK parts. The Bosch o2 sensor I got didn't have NTK on the actual part.
Old 06-02-2010
Premium Member

bosch = NTK. just open the box and look. exact same as oem, except way cheaper. did you get "oem type" bosch sensor with the same part number as i posted previously? mine had ntk on the sensor body. no problems for over 10k miles. i did not think bosch made its own sensors. like most companies, they sell someone elses product with their name on the box.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

Vinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trustedVinnie should not be trusted

Originally Posted by gearbox
bosch = NTK. just open the box and look. exact same as oem, except way cheaper. did you get "oem type" bosch sensor with the same part number as i posted previously? mine had ntk on the sensor body. no problems for over 10k miles. i did not think bosch made its own sensors. like most companies, they sell someone elses product with their name on the box.
I did buy the same part number as you posted. However, the o2 sensor I got did not have NTK on the sensor body. I'm starting to think maybe the part I received was mispackaged or a return. My local shop said all sorts of things were wrong with the sensor I gave them, wrong plug, wrong number of wires.
The NTK part is actually rather cheap online, ~$40 or so.
Old 06-03-2010
Premium Member

ah okay. yeah the bosch plug should be a direct match for the oem harness. sounds like something happened to that one. i have bosch for both sensors and they looked and fit exactly like oem, even had the rubber grommets around the wires to fit in the oem holders.
Old 06-04-2010
Registered!!

mclean987 is an unknown quantity at this point

can i get a link to buy o2 sensors for 02 civic ex? are the 03 civic ex sensors the same ? because ecu is different
Old 06-06-2010
Registered!!

92CXHatch is an unknown quantity at this point

Need help wih P28 ECM! When I cross the connecter with a wire and turn the key on I get a solid light, is that a code 0? or no code? When starting the car the CEL comes on and goes off like it should, so doesn't that mean the ECM is working (booting up)? This is my first Honda I've worked on, it's my neighbors sons 92 CX H/B with a D15B VTEC JDM motor. the wire were all cut up, so we took all the harnesses (all of them) from a 93 DX (I think) coupe. car runs good (timing still needs checking), every light & accessory works!
Old 08-13-2010
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

How do you remove the air filter box???
Old 08-13-2010
Premium Member

to change the filter or remove the whole box? for the filter, you just remove all the screws/bolts on the top portion and pull it off. for the whole box, there are mounting bolts to the frame and also a ring clamp at the bottom around the throttle body.
Old 08-14-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Has anyone else had an malfunction indicator light and an extremely rough idle after cleaning the egr valve?

My car is running so rough I don't even want to drive it.
Old 08-14-2010
Premium Member

hmm, mine was pretty dirty and i couldnt get it completely cleaned, but i never had a problem with the car running rough. its possible the gasket did not seal properly. honda recommends to always replace it when you remove the egr valve, otherwise it can leak air which is essentially like a vacuum leak (rough idle, power loss, etc). i guess i got lucky using the old one. what is your check engine light for, egr valve?
Old 08-16-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I originally planned to change the gasket, but the dealership was waiting for more to come in, so I reused the old one.

It was definitely a vacuum leak though, so I went to a different dealer today and they gave me a new gasket for free. I ran another full can of carb cleaner through the valve, put on the new gasket, and did an ideal reset; sounds much better now! Thanks Gearbox
Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member

nice glad it worked. i need to pick up a gasket sometime for mine now. it may be related to the weird idle issues ive been having lately. youre lucky, those gaskets cost like $12 lol.
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

gangulyarchan is an unknown quantity at this point

@ Gearbox - How on earth did you get the PCV valve off. Can you give me some details? I located the valve but can't get the hose off it since the clip holding it is too tight to get off by hand. I can put pliers in there but can't see anything since the working area is so small. I tried after removing the left front wheel but still too complicated to reach.
Did you try it from under the car?
Old 08-20-2010
Premium Member

i got it from the top, ofcourse i have aftermarket intake so theres a ton of room. i used pliars but the hose is so loose that i was able to push it back on by hand. you just need to remove the hose from the pcv side, then use a deep socket to remove it. prolly should change the lil washer too.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Hey, I went to do the EGR valve the other day, but couldn't get near the nut that's tucked in next to the head of the engine. Do I just need to go out and pick up a skinnier socket extention?
Old 09-28-2010
Premium Member

you kinda have to force it on. i used a regular extension (6 inch) and it worked fine. just be careful not to strip it.
Old 09-28-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

I used a wobble extension. Couldn't get the 6 inch in. Still had to force it a little tho.

edit: Wow, take out the first sentence and it doesn't sound good at all. lol

Last edited by lazlong; 09-28-2010 at 01:03 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY: Forgotten Tune Up Mods