DIY: HOOD struts & Aluminum Spark Plug Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALLMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY: HOOD struts & Aluminum Spark Plug Cover

Well Christmas vacation gave way to two new mods for me. I designed and made hood struts and a polished aluminum valve cover to replace the plasitc one. Since the attachments do not work anymore, I've posted new pictures of my ride....just use my link below. Here are some quick details of the mods incase you guys/gals won't to try.

Hood Strut Deisgn

1. Gas Struts,about 225 Newtons and 13 inches long
2. Need to bolt using specialized mounting brackets to the fender wells and a direct bolt to the hood, first location is near the hood pivot and the second is about 15 inches out.
3. Be very careful due to the hood is a "VERY" weak sheet metal and will dent, flex and bend easily
4. Keep about a 72 degree hood opening
5. Use a quality strut

Aluminum Valve Cover

1. Used 24 gauge(heavy gauge) aluminum sheets.
2. Use the existing plastic valve cover to make my mold
3. Custom cut using metal snips, used a vice and break to form the cover
4. Filed down the edges
5. Polished to a beautiful shine using a high speed table buffing wheel.
6. mounted to existing holes with stainless steel screws

This mod takes some knowlege of metal and bending characterisitics..but very doable(sp)....I've made several custom aluminum pieces for my car that are not as clear in the pictures nor is the valve cover but you can see for yourself. If you guys need closer pictures I'll take some but you can see eveything from members ride photos..Peace! <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.7thgencivic.com/members_rides/member.cfm?id=15">Member's Ride Link</a>
Old 01-07-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the hood strut, but what kind are they? where can i get one? and where do you bolt on to the hood? won't it leave screws on the hood?
Old 01-07-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about

Lookin good there ALLMAN. I wish I had metal shop like in HS. I could make a mold of the valve cover and pour in some molten aluminum and file the sucker down and have an exact replica.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

antidote11 is an unknown quantity at this point
You should make a couple of those valve covers in different colors and sell them man, they look bad ***...hell, I will buy a silver one from you...

How much ?? I'm being serious !!
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

1.The struts are Stabilus-Lift-o-mat...from a local strut company here near Charlotte.

2. Yes you do have to drill into the hood...(2) stainless steel bolts into the underside the hood and (2) into the fender well near the hood's hinge point
This mod looks factory and original...very clean and OEM look. I love not having that stupid hood prop.....this design look a while to profect but is well worth it..Peace!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I can make as many as you guys wish to buy.....what is it worth to you cost wise....If enough people are interested I'll make some.....it does take about 5 hours to make one...so spitting these things out isn't easy....although the more I would do the faster I would probably get.....as for the different colors.....the only metal I can get right now is aluminum metal color then polish it..Peace!
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
ALLMAN give us a price range. i'm interested in that valve cover.as for the hood struts can you get all the hardware and insructions to do it.
Old 01-07-2002
Registered!!

ModNewbieHELPME is an unknown quantity at this point
damn good work allman! I'll buy the valve cover from you. Just tell me how much. =)
Keep up the good work.
Old 01-07-2002
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
i wish he lives by here, i am too scared to do the strut myself![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

SQCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I am very interested in the strut setup as well. Would you be interested in supplying the materials & instructions for a fee? Thanks
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Ok guys....

I appreciate the love with my newest design projects....here are my thoughts:

1. I can make some valve covers for about $50 shipping and handeling....but before you completely decide and to be fair to you all, so you know what the product exactly is...let me take pictures from all sides and post pictures......but still keep posting to give me an idea of the number of possible orders.......!

2. I'll sale the design for the hood struts for $15 dollars with shipping. it will include color photographs, drawing schematics, instructions, and necessay hardware purchase....the cost to do this mod for me...just in materials was about $35 dollars...but R&D was about 2 months worth...so by no means was it a cake walk to come up with.....I've been working with the strut manufacture engineers..as I I'm an engineer myself to perfect the design...Peace!
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

SneakerPimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Sign me up for one of those valve covers!!!
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

vino is an unknown quantity at this point
what did you do with your altezza grill????it looks niice......how did you get the silver mesh in there??......dyi on it??...hehe
.......and o yah is that a cold air intake and you used it as an sri?....i have the injen intake too but i wanna install it as an sri but am not sure about what willl hold it.....thankss
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

It seems I've gotten an overwhelming response to both the valve cover and hood strut designs....so here are my plans:

1. I will find out tomorrow if I can get a large supply of the materials used to do my hood design modification as I will only offer the best quality products as I used to do the mod....but no guarentee's that I can get them yet......so if people are just interested in the design set-up only, then the price still stands at $15.....but for a complete package, then I'll have to do some checking for materials costs and availability. For those that are interested just in the set-up only, check your local area for automotive struts and mouting hardware. I know that Autozone and places like that...Pep Boys etc, carry the struts, but the problem I had was that all are to strong for our little hood...so that is why I had to have a custom strut made specifically for our car. The mounting hardware could probably be home fabricated given the proper tools and material strength

2. Now the valve cover mod.....this one I can do without a material problem...it just takes a while for me to make one...if I can get around 4-5 "FOR SURE" orders, as I'm not about to waste a weekend making valve covers...I'll start this weekend. Here are my conditions as I've already done on the site in the past when I was making front grills...if you tell me that the money order is in the mail, then I'll trust you ,as you are trusting me and start making the valve covers or hood design, so to have a faster turn around time to your door....I think this is very fair.....so tell me what you guys think about this business set-up and keep the intrests coming as I appreciate the love.......BTW, still let me post more pictures of the modifications so each and every person is "SURE" they want one before we do the money and fabrication exchange...I only want you all to be happy...as I'm very happy with my work..Peace!
Old 01-08-2002
Registered!!

Vino,

I painted the altezza grill myself....it seems once you paint those things the plastic "mesh" part and the overall appearence of the grill looks much better than it does when it comes black. Plus as you can see...I 'm going with the clean all silver look including my grills...so it all blends nicely don't you guys think?.....you know, you guys don't say much about my car..."sniff" "sniff"...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/IMG].....LOL[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]....anyway....moving one to answer your other question...no..that is my original SRI...one of the first to purchase one other than Derek back in Febuary 2001....so I don't know if they've changed the design or not since...I love the look, performance and ability to use an upper strut tower bar as well...Peace!
Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

Ok guys,

Pleased to be "back in action"........for those who are still interested I've found a website that offers the very same products I used to make my hood strut gas spring desgin....here is the Link to Magnus Inc. to the exact page for parts...I used the L.H & R.H mounting brackets for the gas spring supports. Now,...I plan on setting up an account with one of these distributors, so to sale these in masses to you guys along with my design layout....but if someone wants to just buy my design then I'll just sale you that and you guys buy your own parts...Peace..![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

Put me down for a full kit!
Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

02Si is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the hood struts, but my concern is that I wouldn't have absolute clearance if and when I need the hood fully propped up now, would I? Allman, can they be disconnected relatively easily from the fender or will that require more mod? And I do know what you mean when you said that the normal struts from pep boys, etc are to strong, b/c I changed a couple of them on an MPV, and damn is the rear door heavy like a *****.
Old 01-18-2002
Registered!!

younggotti is an unknown quantity at this point
i like the valve cover, but i will wait to see the pictures, if all looks as good as the pictures so far, sign me up for one.
Old 01-19-2002
Registered!!

Perfectcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you made a trunk strut setup i gauruntee you that a ton of people will buy it so they can get rid of those annoying trunk springs btw i am very interested in the strut and valve cover and if you made a trunk one i would definately buy it. BTW where did you go to college for engineering? just wondering cuz thats what im going to major in next year at either Texas A&M or University of Texas
Old 01-19-2002
Registered!!

OK,...

1. The struts dismount with a simple twist of a flat head screw driver...5 seconds...done......the opening angle of the hood is approximately 85 degrees...and my design is about 72-75 degrees....it is really not an issue..but if one wishes..like I said a simple twist and the design is back to normal.

2. I will take closer pictures of my cover monday....for all to see, and then make up your minds if you like enough to purchase....in case people didn't know and if it isn't clear in the photo...the "CIVIC" is my old emblem of of the car...it is not formed into the aluminum...so I just wanted to clear that up....people can customize and put whatever you want.."VTEC",..."HONDA",.....etc...on the cover...

3. Perfectcivic,
I went to UNCC-University of North Carolina at Charlotte....BSCE in Civic Engineering, specializing in Structrual Material Failures..or Forensic Failures and restoration...basically when it breaks..I design a fix..then fix it...I graduated in 98'..and am currectly sitting for my P.E.....good luck in your education, stick with it ...you'll love it..Peace!

4. Would you guys rather buy a package or just design instructions...this will give me an idea on how much materials to purchase???

5. I can design a rear trunk gas springs...NO PROBLEM...very easy!!!!....if you guys want that too,....I'll do it..Peace!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2002
Registered!!

I want the entire package for the front struts & put me down for a set of rear trunk gas springs if you develope those as well!
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
ALLMAN.........i was wondering if u could get in touch with me to help me with the valve cover?.....i live in charlotte
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

Sure, just private message me with your contact info....Peace!
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

If you design the trunk shocks ill definately all three if its the whole package not just the design cuz i think i like most people would be too lazy to just work with the directions nice work dude
Old 01-21-2002
Registered!!

02Si is an unknown quantity at this point
The rear trunk struts sounds like a good idea also.
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

Hey if you design the rears email me at rlairson@hotmail.com cuz im about to put a spoiler on and need to get rid of original springs I completely understand if you are busy
Old 01-23-2002
Registered!!

2Hondaz is an unknown quantity at this point
I really like the aluminum valve cover idea. I took two years of metal working in high school, and am very well versed in metal fabrication from the quarry to the finish product. I just wish all to hell I had the tools to do it now, hehe. Anyways, I just wanted to give you much props for your innovation. I think what you're doing is awesome. I don't need any of the things you're making, but again, good going man!
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

insan is an unknown quantity at this point
allman....i ran out of $$$....some other time mabe,thanks.......doesn't ur hood strut flex the hood sitting like that? i would think u need two.
Old 01-27-2002
Registered!!

insane,

There are two....one 300N gas spring on each side....plus the mount is located on a rigid support brace on the hood....plus I ran this design through a computer engineering simulation...as I am an engineer myself, to insure proper success..also the pitch of the gas spring is positioned as to not apply as much of a vertical load on the hood....that is why a 72-75 degree opening was used.Peace!

Quick Reply: DIY: HOOD struts & Aluminum Spark Plug Cover