The Joys of 11 Year Old Japanese Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
The Joys of 11 Year Old Japanese Wiring

Replaced both front and rear drivers side door lock actuators to fix my non-functioning power locks. Drivers front door was now working properly but the drivers rear was still dead
Ripped the door harness apart to discover one of the wires was broken completely and another wire the insulation was broken exposing the copper.

So I cut all 5 wires and spliced in a new section that will (hopefully) prevent future issues.

If the wires break again I'll buy a new harness for each rear door. They're only like $30 each.

There's an awesome youtube video that shows you how to pull the wiring here:
(Not my video)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	broken.jpg
Views:	2223
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	88518   Click image for larger version

Name:	fixed.jpg
Views:	2179
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	88519  
Old 02-22-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Joys of 11 Year Old Japanese Wiring

Harness replacement is ezone approved.... and likely much easier then splicing.
Old 02-22-2016

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Ezone approved?

I spliced the harness because it didn't really cost me anything and I wanted to see how well it would hold up. I didn't feel like spending $30 + tax and waiting a week for a part to show up.
Old 02-22-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Repair looks good, Did you get the plastic loom/cover back on easily over the splices ??

Very tight tolerance.
Old 02-22-2016

Thank you!
The wires were only covered by the rubber boot when I pulled it apart. I gave the wires a quick wrap of electrical tape before I slid the boot back up and taped it back on to the plug. It was definitely easier sliding the boot back on than it was pulling it back originally.
Old 02-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Colin42
Ezone approved?

I spliced the harness because it didn't really cost me anything and I wanted to see how well it would hold up. I didn't feel like spending $30 + tax and waiting a week for a part to show up.
Meaning I will never again waste even 10 minutes of my time to patch up a harness that only cost $30.

When I think this way it's because of labor cost in the shop.
Old 02-22-2016

Originally Posted by ezone
Meaning I will never again waste even 10 minutes of my time to patch up a harness that only cost $30.

When I think this way it's because of labor cost in the shop.
Didn't realize Ezone was a person, my bad

I agree with your perspective, but I'm broke if/when it breaks again I'll get the harness.
Old 02-22-2016

I do not want to know the # of wires contained in a 06 and later Civic sedan that have the mirror controls on the door.... Scary.
Old 02-22-2016
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CraigW
I do not want to know the # of wires contained in a 06 and later Civic sedan that have the mirror controls on the door.... Scary.
Those civics have multiplexed door wiring. This is designed to cut down on the number of wires. Little computer brains talking to each other using voltage signal and pure magic/voodoo to control parts of the car.
Old 02-22-2016

Originally Posted by CraigW
Agreed, I hate playing find the wire.
Old 02-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcnoople
and pure magic/voodoo
It's UFO technology.
Old 05-16-2016

fullsize pictures added for the curious
Old 05-16-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MassCivic is an unknown quantity at this point

The same thing happened to the rear drivers door in my gf's 02. I pulled the harness and spliced it all back together to no avail. Picked up one at the junkyard and all was well. Given it probably didn't work cause of my hack soldering job.
Old 05-16-2016

Originally Posted by MassCivic
The same thing happened to the rear drivers door in my gf's 02. I pulled the harness and spliced it all back together to no avail. Picked up one at the junkyard and all was well. Given it probably didn't work cause of my hack soldering job.
Still working as of 3 months ago now so fingers crossed. If it stops working again then I'll go and buy the harness. Good soldering is a useful skill to have.