Passenger side power window stuck in up position

Old 05-09-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
numbersguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Passenger side power window stuck in up position

2001 Honda Civic sedan

I just replaced my window regulator and want to let others know what could be the problem of window not moving.

Window switch at passenger's side and driver's fail to operate the window. I bought a new window regulator (I had to cut the cable to lower the old regulator to spot where the window can be unbolted) but still no go. I discovered that 20 AMP fuse for passenger side window was blown. Replaced it, turned the key and regulator window bracket just to the top of the rail (not a good sign since no window switches were touched). When I tried using the switches, nothing happened BUT i heard a lot of clicking coming from the regulator motor and it got very, very hot. I tested the window motor plug and found it was at 12 volts without touching a switch (bad sign). I purchased a new driver side window switch control (warning: you have to remove the driver side door panel and remove the 3 screws with the flat head washer behind the door pull handle. Then pull the window control panel out and unscrew it and you will find one last, hidden scew holding the control panel to the door pull.)

After installing the driver side power window control switch panel - it worked! Passenger side window worked perfectly from either side of car. I suspect the passenger switch on the driver's side window switch control was stuck electrically in the up position. Since power never shutoff when window went to top, the motor overheated and blew the fuse.

Hope this helpful.
Old 05-14-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Passenger side power window stuck in up position

Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vut21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Passenger side power window stuck in up position

Did your window get stuck again in the following weeks? I ask because I had the same thing go wrong with the front passenger window on a 2005 Honda CRV. I put the new motor and regulator in and it immediately went all the way up and got stuck and the motor started to get very warm. I saw your post so I replaced the master switch ($238) with a new one and everything worked fine for several weeks and now the passenger window is stuck up again. The fuse did not blow either. I guess I caught it in time. I had a mechanic look at it the second time it got stuck and and he was able to unstick it and it worked fine again, but after 1 week and the $100 mechanic's fee it is now jammed in the up position once again. Totally frustrated and beside myself. I pulled the fuse for the respective window to prevent damage to the motor until I can determine what's going on.