SOLVED!! d17a2 swap How to wire secondary o2 sensor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015
Default_Slayer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default_Slayer will become famous soon enoughDefault_Slayer will become famous soon enough
SOLVED!! d17a2 swap How to wire secondary o2 sensor!

Ok it took me forever, but after searching countless forums I finally figured it out! as you may or may not know the 2001-2005 civic ex has the secondary o2 on its cabin harness. Well if your swapping a d17a2 into your lx or hx you'll be missing the secondary o2 sensor because the d17a1 harness has both connectors on its harness. Here's what you need to do...

1st take your old harness and take the secondary o2 sensor off the Grey 31 pin connector, lift the tab on the bottom of the connector with a small flat head then starting from the top left pull pin 14 (black and white) and 25 (white and red)out..make sure when you pull that the metal connector on the end comes out. Practice on other wires so you don't **** up.

Next untape the o2 sensors as much as you can there are two wires left a green and yellow and black and yellow I believe. They lead to some weird circuit just cut the ends off these are your power and ground get some extra wire from the old wiring harness to extend the length splice them together so they can reach inside your cabin to your stereo.

Unplug the negative battery terminal!!

now that you have the sensor alone, pop the grommet your engine harness goes in and feed the wires through... find the black wire to your stereo and splice the green/yellow wire into it..it's now grounded. Find the yellow/red wire on your stereo and splice the black/yellow wire into it this is an ignition power source and it's not going to drain your battery.

find the white plug that goes into the top of your ecu. pin 2 and 6 should be open take a flathead and pop the tab up like you did on the Grey plug. Plug the white/red connecter into pin 2 and the black/white connector into pin 6 and your done

Your codes should reset if not go somewhere and have them cleared. After mine reset I found out my cat was bad so I still have the cel...for now

Last edited by Default_Slayer; 04-12-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-12-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: SOLVED!! d17a2 swap How to wire secondary o2 sensor!

Hey, thanks for coming back and posting your solution!

Since I already have an EX I did not have an decent answer for you.

Glad it worked for you

Plenty good to be on the DIY section, so moving your thread to there
Old 06-27-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NinjaPete is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Default_Slayer
Ok it took me forever, but after searching countless forums I finally figured it out! as you may or may not know the 2001-2005 civic ex has the secondary o2 on its cabin harness. Well if your swapping a d17a2 into your lx or hx you'll be missing the secondary o2 sensor because the d17a1 harness has both connectors on its harness. Here's what you need to do...

1st take your old harness and take the secondary o2 sensor off the Grey 31 pin connector, lift the tab on the bottom of the connector with a small flat head then starting from the top left pull pin 14 (black and white) and 25 (white and red)out..make sure when you pull that the metal connector on the end comes out. Practice on other wires so you don't **** up.

Next untape the o2 sensors as much as you can there are two wires left a green and yellow and black and yellow I believe. They lead to some weird circuit just cut the ends off these are your power and ground get some extra wire from the old wiring harness to extend the length splice them together so they can reach inside your cabin to your stereo.

Unplug the negative battery terminal!!

now that you have the sensor alone, pop the grommet your engine harness goes in and feed the wires through... find the black wire to your stereo and splice the green/yellow wire into it..it's now grounded. Find the yellow/red wire on your stereo and splice the black/yellow wire into it this is an ignition power source and it's not going to drain your battery.

find the white plug that goes into the top of your ecu. pin 2 and 6 should be open take a flathead and pop the tab up like you did on the Grey plug. Plug the white/red connecter into pin 2 and the black/white connector into pin 6 and your done

Your codes should reset if not go somewhere and have them cleared. After mine reset I found out my cat was bad so I still have the cel...for now

I need help lol. Im making a new harness for the upstream o2 and need to know pin 2 and 6 goes where on the plug. Top left, Top right, bottom left or bottom right. please help.
The following users liked this post:
Chili911 (11-07-2021)
Old 06-27-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

go look in this thread and download the factory repair manual, it has wiring diagrams, last page will have the most recent download link

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...e-updated.html
Old 06-28-2019
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NinjaPete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. The Manuel is so confusing. never read one with the diagrams but ill try to figure it out.
Old 07-11-2019
Registered!!

supramaniac311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the help. On your post u said to plug the o2 wires into the white plug empty slots #2 and #6. Is that with the clip on top or bottom? 2 and 6 are open if the clip retainer is facing down, looking at the plug from the back where the wires go in. But if the clip retainer is facing up, then #2 and #6 are not empty. Can u please specify which direction. The clip retainer should be when u counted the slots? Thanks, also I did buy a vtec ecu, which is why I bought the xtool programmer. So I can change the vin and immobilizer key. Is the pin out the same on non vtec and vtec ecu's? I want to use my old engine wiring harness as a reference but want to make sure I the wires go to the same places. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2019
Registered!!

Himalayan is an unknown quantity at this point

This website has been shut down by the US government and doesn't exist anymore. I was looking for the 7th gen service manual as well and was directed here but found out they don't exist anymore.
Old 09-28-2019
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Did you go to the stickied thread I posted? On one of the last pages there should be a working link to download the manual
Old 07-21-2020
Registered!!

Shawn Taft is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for this post. This is the last step for the complete d17a swap in my lx.
Old 08-05-2020
Click Here

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by donaldsauter12
I simply put a 04 jdm car with a 06 base rsx trans in my 92 community.
I have no idea what you're trying to say here. RSX trans is for a K-series which has nothing to do with a D17 swap.

I can only guess that community was some strange autocorrect for either CRX or Civic, and that you K20A swapped it with a base RSX trans?
Old 12-04-2022
Registered!!

LX2EX is an unknown quantity at this point

This post was helpful. I just got done swapping a D17A2 for my LXs D17A1. I am OCD and there is a more factory correct way to wire in the S02S. As stated you must rape your LX harness for the secondary 02 sensor connector and it’s wiring. Trace all four wires on the connector as far back as possible. Once you’ve got the connector and wires separated and pulled from the LX harness, two wires will be shorter (black/yellow and green/yellow) than the pinned wires. Get some likewise colored wire from the LX harness and solder/ make all four wires the same length. You should also notice that the red/white wire contain shielding wire as well, there is a plan for it! Next, peel open the EX main ECU harness ahead and behind if the firewall grommet. I only needed to open up about a 10 inches or so of the tape and conduit on the engine side of the harness. Run your white/red, green/yellow, and black/white wires in the main harness, through the rubber grommet and into the cabin with all the ECU connectors. Recover and re-tape ECU harness. The black/yellow wire though, will actually get looped onto the other harness that leads along the fender to the under hood fusebox. Pull the fusebox up and out and pull the bottom wire loom cover off the fusebox. You should see a three pin connector with three wires (black/orange, black, green/red.) Now the black/yellow wire from our S02S connector gets tapped into the black/orange wire off of this ELD connector. Just cut a small section of insulation off the black/orange wire an inch or so away from the connector and solder the black/yellow wire into the section. Done here, tape up, then reconnect ELD plug and put fusebox back. Run the black/yellow wire along relay harness back to the firewall where the under hood fusebox harness and engine harness almost meet. This is where I ran the black/yellow wire back into the main ECU harness in front of the steering rack for the S02S connector to live on the subframe. Now, for the other three wires to the ECU... As stated the black/white wire can get pinned straight into ECU connector E pin 6 which should be open. Same for the white/red pinned wire which plugs into the open spot on connector E pin 2. Now the shielding for that red/white wire needs to tap into the brown/yellow wire on ECU pin 3. Honda does not solder these shield wires, just metal crush crimps FYI. The shielding wire is extra ground strap for the S02S for electrical noise. Honda uses ECU pin 3 and brown/yellow wires as logic grounds for electrical noise. Just remove a little insulation an inch or so back from the connector on the brown/yellow wire and tap the shielding into it. Tape up. All that should be left now is the green/yellow wire which just needs to tap into the pink wire from pin 4 on the ECU connector. That’s it! That’s is the factory circuit/ wiring path for the S02S. I also reused the secondary oxygen sensor from my LX and it seems to work fine, no codes. Thanks to original poster for the idea and help.