Intermittent low beams

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
larryb73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Intermittent low beams

I have an 01 Civic LX occasionally when using my turn signal I notice my headlights will momentarily go out, it seems to happen when using the left turn signal more than with the right. So far have been unable to repeat it while in my garage to work on it. Any pointers would help. I'm a pretty technical person & know my way around a volt ohm meter.
Old 07-15-2013
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Intermittent low beams

You should see if the recall work has been done (dealt with intermittent or missing low beams) There was a 2nd recall and a while back someone recently had a modded one with problems.

The problem was at the signal/headlight switch connector terminal pin/jack for the low beams.
Old 07-17-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the tip. I bought the car used 6 years ago. Been a great daily driver only had to replace struts and replaced timing belt. I've had the recall done on the air bags I will check with Honda to see if the headlight recall has been done.
Old 07-17-2013

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

They are supposed to mark something on a VIN tag if the mod has been done.

Maybe they will do the work on their nickel as it is a safety issue and a recall.

Let us know.
Old 07-17-2013
Registered!!

I checked on the Honda website is shows my VIN has had the headlight recall work previously completed. I will have to take it to Honda and see how willing they are to working on the recall issue no-charge. If I have to pay them I will be digging into it myself. I understand that it is tricky getting the cover off to access the wiring for the headlight/ turn signal switch with out breaking it? If that is true any pointers in that area would be appreciated. I'll let you know how the conversation goes with Honda on the recall work.
Old 07-17-2013

Those little tabs break easily. Remove the screws then press in at the seams between the upper & lower covers to release. If you break one of the covers latches they are not expensive.

There is a repair kit that has a new switch, plastic connector housing and a length of wire with terminal attached. (getting the pins out of old housing will be tough)
Old 07-31-2013
Registered!!

Ok finally got back on my headlight issue after replacing the wheel studs on front hub. I took the the harness apart had to remove way too much black elec tape and the goo it left behind! Once I had the harness cleaned up and inspected I found no issues with it. Who ever did the recall did a nice job. They ruined it by all the electrical tape. Was unable to duplicate the problem by manipulating wiring. I finally was able to duplicate my issue and discovered the dimmer switch is at fault every so often if you pull aft every so slightly like to flash your high beams my lights would go out, just touching the turn signal lever would cause them to come back on. I guess when using my turn signals I am putting slight aft pressure on the lever thus causing my low beams to go out momentarily. I will have to figure out the process to R&R the turn signal switch. Any help is always appreciated!
Old 07-31-2013

Should be 2 screws and straight out.

Edit: "remove 2 screws and slide combination switch out"

Thanks for the info !..... don't get many return replies these days.

Last edited by CraigW; 07-31-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2013
Registered!!

Thanks for the pointers CraigW the switch was a piece of cake took longer to get the steering column covers back on than to change the switch. I've pretty much cleaned up all of the electrical issues over the last couple of weekends. Headlights, SRS issue with drivers seat belt buckle switch and passengers side elec. window. All fixed and only had to buy the combo switch. Got great info from different posters on the forum. Super source of information!! Thanks all