DIY 03'-05' SRS Module Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011
TRUST me! I'm Idiot Proof!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura aboutBobDobolina has a spectacular aura about
DIY 03'-05' SRS Module Replacement

First, make sure you cannot just reset your light by following THIS DIY.

If you cannot reset it, pull the SRS malfunction code by following THIS DIY. If you have anything indicating 'SRS unit failure', proceed.

First, safety precautions per the Haynes manual:

1. Point the wheels straight ahead and turn the key to the LOCK position.

2. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal.

3. Wait at least three minutes for the back-up power supply to be depleted.

4. NEVER measure the resistance of ANY srs component or use ANY electrical test equipment. An ohmmeter has a built in battery and may cause accidental airbag deployment.

Begin to remove the center console following THIS DIY. Don't forget to unplug the cigg connector...

This is your culprit, the SRS module, or computer that controls airbag deployment; as veiwed from the front center:

Name:  IMG_6910.jpg
Views: 29165
Size:  63.4 KB

As viewed from the drivers side, with some carpeting pulled back:

Name:  IMG_6912.jpg
Views: 14248
Size:  74.1 KB

Disconnect the drivers side connector from the unit, using a screwdriver to pry the sleeve lock back, releasing it:

Name:  IMG_6915.jpg
Views: 23632
Size:  70.3 KB

You can now gain access to the drivers side T-30 torx screw, the first of three. Loosen it only, the unit is notched:

Name:  IMG_6916.jpg
Views: 9272
Size:  77.0 KB

Now remove the passenger side lower trim panel. Pull on it gently, but hard enough to free it:

Name:  IMG_6917.jpg
Views: 6977
Size:  43.8 KB

Peel back enough carpeting to gain access to the passengers side screw. This one must be fully removed and put aside:

Name:  IMG_6918.jpg
Views: 7341
Size:  62.4 KB

Now to loosen the last screw, hidden behind the unit. This picture is showing it veiwed from the drivers side:

Name:  IMG_6919.jpg
Views: 7002
Size:  35.0 KB

Loosen it using a rachet extension, as shown:

Name:  IMG_6921.jpg
Views: 7173
Size:  79.2 KB

Now begin to remove the other two connectors, in the same fashion as the first. Don't forget to pry out the cable harness anchor using a screw driver, as shown here:

Name:  IMG_6922.jpg
Views: 6958
Size:  41.0 KB

Now you can remove the unit. Its in there tight, and you must wiggle it out carefully. Then compare your original unit to the one you scored on Ebay, craigslist, or wherever. I got mine for $40 with some searching. Make sure the MFG's part numbers match on both units. If they dont, re-install the original:

Name:  IMG_6928.jpg
Views: 6956
Size:  48.5 KB

This would be a good time to clean the carpeting, center console trim and any other parts you cannot normally reach:

Name:  IMG_6929.jpg
Views: 6940
Size:  59.4 KB

Now to re-assemble things, wiggle the module into place the same way you got it out. Re-insert the passenger side screw you set aside, but do not tighten it down.

Re-connect the plugs into the new unit. Re-attach the negitive battery terminal. Make sure your engine bay is clear. Insert your key and fire er' up. If the light comes back on, follow the procedure to reset it. It should reset as predicted.

[If not, remove, re-install the old one, and PLOT YOUR REVENGE for the persons who sold it to you...cause they lied and said it was good]

Turn your car off, and now you can tighten down the screws starting with the passenger side, the rear, then drivers side. Dont forget to anchor that cable harness back down:

Name:  IMG_6930.jpg
Views: 6941
Size:  48.3 KB

This job is just about complete. But if your like me, and dont like the clusterf@*k of GPS/cell charger cables tangling up your clean look, there are options. I found an old, double socket splitter and cracked it open. I then spliced it into that cigg connector, complete with the fuse. Notice the rubber thing from the splitter acting as a strain relief, wedged into place:

Name:  IMG_6931.jpg
Views: 7013
Size:  59.5 KB

I then routed the cables out the front passenger side:

Name:  IMG_6932.jpg
Views: 6991
Size:  65.0 KB

This would also be a great time to add shift bushings or a short throw shifter or anything else...

If not simply reverse the order to re-install the center console, and screw everything back down and into place. A trick to get those push rivet things back in is to squeese em' like this:

Name:  IMG_6937.jpg
Views: 6925
Size:  27.8 KB

Then insert them and push that little dot down, locking them.

Name:  IMG_6938.jpg
Views: 6840
Size:  49.7 KB

A view of the spare sockets:

Name:  IMG_6935.jpg
Views: 7136
Size:  48.1 KB

And thats that, folks. Just saved yourself countless dollars by DIY'ing!
Old 09-20-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: DIY 03'-05' SRS Module Replacement

Excellent work!

Moved to 7th gen electrical DIYs.
Old 04-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedReeeser516 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY 03'-05' SRS Module Replacement

FYI, I replaced mine this weekend (one I purchased was also bad ) without removing the console. I just peeled the carpet back and pulled the side of the console back to get to the part out.