DIY: Cruise Control FIX w/ LED tail/brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Cruise Control FIX w/ LED tail/brake lights

but only for coupes
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

riceboi I NEED A LINK to those. ME LIKEY
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

fixed the pics
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi

as stock and as led as you can get!
where did you get those at and do they make them for the 01-03 models?
Old 05-06-2009
Premium Member

its just ebay led tails. fits 01-05 civic coupe but you may need some new sockets or rewiring for 01-03.
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought that. i figured if i was to get those i would have to wire them up like people do when they put 04-05 tails in there 01-03
Old 05-06-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DieMaster
riceboi I NEED A LINK to those. ME LIKEY
there on ebay. but they were made for the 04/05. so ur gonna needa do a 04/05 conversion. (basically just buy the turn signal sockets from the 04/05)
Old 05-06-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

thanks gearbox for fixing the pics.

UPDATE. i recomend a 100K resistor not 10K too much current goes thought it with the brakes on and can burn out the resistor.
Old 05-07-2009
Premium Member

at least you would know if it burns out tho right cause the cruise will stop working again
Old 07-23-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Question: My CC is still not working and I can't get it to work. Cruise button light stay on when pressed but try to set the speed it doesn't hold the speed at all.

Checked the CC wiring/cables and everything looks good.

I have stock bulbs.

Would this mod fix my CC even though I'm running stock? What is this 4th light mod you guys or rather that other guy talking about? Easier the fix the better.

I drive a '98 LX.
Old 10-10-2010
Registered!!

Scouter2P is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is way old, but I just did this with my car. The CC box really is a pain in the ***, but I discovered that by lightly taping in a razor blade all around the edge, it makes opening the box a whole lot easier, took me less than 5 minutes to do it and didn't damage the box at all.

Last edited by Scouter2P; 10-10-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouter2P
I know this thread is way old, but I just did this with my car.
No worries. Things like this where you found a faster/easier/better/more efficient way to to a DIY are always welcome for bumping old threads.
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DieMaster
UPDATE! i've found out 10K is a bit low for the voltage. this can result (as it did with me) as the resister turning to charchool. if u have a auto and have to hold the brakes down or do it anyway, i recomend 100K. (brown - black - yellow)
100K sounds good. But what is the wattage? 1/4W? 1/2W? 1W? 2W?
Old 08-03-2011
Registered!!

i would go no less than 1/2 watt. simply because it's a direct conect between brake 12v and gnd when brakes applied. it's esentaly a heater when it's on.
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

MarkoPollo is an unknown quantity at this point

So is 1W better?

I know NOTHING about resistance.

The only resistance I know is when I'm trying to bust a move and the chickie isn't into it. Yeah, it's like I'm the persister and she's the resister.
Old 08-28-2011
Premium Member

the wattage does not affect the resistor's actual ohm value. all it does is tell you how well the resistor can dissipate heat without frying itself. when using the same resistance ohm value, its usually wiser to pick the higher watt version. they will get thicker and bigger as you go up, so eventually size becomes an issue. and for many things like 5mm leds, a 1/2w is more than you will ever need. if you are making leds for a closed area, then it would be better to use the higher watt resistors so they can handle the extra heat buildup.
Old 07-21-2012
Registered!!

ericf1993 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to revive this thread again but im having trouble taking the cruise control box apart. ive tried using the razor blade and it still doesnt look close to opening. is there some sort of glue holding it together?
Old 01-30-2014
Registered!!

killaclownne is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi gearbox:
I did this mod but I ended up getting 100k 1/8 watt resistor. I did not realize until now that you said 1/2 watt. But I did find out that if you use an 1/8 watt resistor it does not work. It is the same no cruise control. Put a third brake light filament bulb in and cruise worked again. So I am assuming the 1/8 watt ones won't work.......
Thanks
Old 05-22-2014
Registered!!

scorpionsinz is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this fix also fix the issue the LED lights create with the automatic trans? The trans simulates a slipping trans when LED lights are installed. From what i understand, the lights mess up the voltage reading for the kickdown to first gear. I re-installed the oem lights until that issue is solved too. Ill give this a shot and see how it affects the trans kickdown. I'll update afterwards unless someone has the answer already.
Old 09-10-2017
Registered!!

tristanlee85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scorpionsinz
Does this fix also fix the issue the LED lights create with the automatic trans? The trans simulates a slipping trans when LED lights are installed. From what i understand, the lights mess up the voltage reading for the kickdown to first gear. I re-installed the oem lights until that issue is solved too. Ill give this a shot and see how it affects the trans kickdown. I'll update afterwards unless someone has the answer already.
I'm a few years too late, but I just did the LED tail lights and experienced this issue as well. Obviously cruise control no longer functioned, but also taking off from a stop simulated slipping in 1st gear (auto trans) and while sitting in park without the foot on the brake pedal, you could constantly hear the locking mechanism in the shift selector clicking because it wasn't sure if your foot was on the pedal or not. This would allow you to shift out of park without depressing the pedal.

I did not do this mod since I was not sure if it would fix the other 2 issues unrelated to cruise. I ended up installing the load resistors at the bulbs and mounting them to the frame for heat dissipation. I would have liked to tried this mod to see if it fixed the other issues too, but was in a time crunch to get the car acting normal again for a long drive so load resistors was the quickest solution.
Old 05-19-2020
Registered!!

Civy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tristanlee85
I'm a few years too late, but I just did the LED tail lights and experienced this issue as well. Obviously cruise control no longer functioned, but also taking off from a stop simulated slipping in 1st gear (auto trans) and while sitting in park without the foot on the brake pedal, you could constantly hear the locking mechanism in the shiftselector clicking because it wasn't sure if your foot was on the pedal or not. This would allow you to shift out of park without depressing the pedal.

I did not do this mod since I was not sure if it would fix the other 2 issues unrelated to cruise. I ended up installing the load resistors at the bulbs and mounting them to the frame for heat dissipation. I would have liked to tried this mod to see if it fixed the other issues too, but was in a time crunch to get the car acting normal again for a long drive so load resistors was the quickest solution.

Which light (Brake light or signal?) and what specific wires did you attached the resistor to?