DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

yeah the dealer here charges something like $80 for plugs and another 80 or so for labor lol.
Old 01-11-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the roughthefivespeeder is a jewel in the rough

Listen to what your plugs are telling you:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp
Old 01-11-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thefivespeeder
Listen to what your plugs are telling you:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...q/faqread2.asp
nice link man! +rep
Old 04-04-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devla is an unknown quantity at this point

OP - Thanks for the post. Changed mine today and this post definitely helped.

Now - I'm thinking of getting a cold air intake - is that easy? Given changing spark plugs / air filters is all i've done myself with my car. It's a 2000-Ex.
Old 04-04-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

Originally Posted by devla
OP - Thanks for the post. Changed mine today and this post definitely helped.

Now - I'm thinking of getting a cold air intake - is that easy? Given changing spark plugs / air filters is all i've done myself with my car. It's a 2000-Ex.
extremely easy man
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...g-aem-cai.html

just follow this
Old 04-04-2009
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

You on spring break or something Travis?
Old 04-05-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by speedfoos
You on spring break or something Travis?
nah, that was like 2 weeks ago. lol why you ask??
Old 07-21-2009
Registered!!

joebigjoe77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)

Man, thanks a million for the instructions with pics on how to change plugs! The Honda dealership wanted to charge me $216.00 to change them! Highway robbery! So, I got online, searched for how to change plugs honda civic and found your article. I've got 116000 miles on my 06 civic, and it was time to change them, (I commute 110 miles roundtrip 5 days a week). The only problem I had was I had to go buy a long extender for my socket because the extender that came with my rachet set wasn't nearly long enough, went to wal-mart, bought an extender Stanleys (3 different lengths) came in a package for 12 bucks. Took me about 30 minutes, I didn't heed your warning and waited till the engine cooled off, so the 1st one I took out was really really hot.

Again, thanks a million!

Joe
2006 Honda Civic Owner!!!
Old 08-20-2009
Registered!!

antilog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the simple walk through. I got tired of mediocre service and decided to change the oil and spark plugs myself, for the first time today. What a good way to get to know the vehicle better. I drive it most of the day, daily, and know it well from a driver's perspective. I replaced the old plugs with NGK Iridium X spark plugs, and noticed quite a difference, even if it was just the fact of having fresh spark plugs installed.

Now to figure out an easy way to get an oil filter off of a 2000 Civic VP...

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

mikepayne is an unknown quantity at this point

on the pics where it says, "you will have to disconnect the harness". I still can't figure out how to actually separate the harness from what I call the base - that is secured by the small nut. I don't want to pry it from the base because of damaging it.

Can anyone explain this in detail?

Mike P.
Old 10-09-2009
Registered!!

seoul4korea can only hope to improve

Wow I think it's funny that all of these people didn't know how to change their spark plugs.... I guess this DYI really does help!! If any one wants a lesson on Changing your oil just PM me, i'm sure I can muster up some pictures for ya!
Old 10-09-2009
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Originally Posted by mikepayne
on the pics where it says, "you will have to disconnect the harness". I still can't figure out how to actually separate the harness from what I call the base - that is secured by the small nut. I don't want to pry it from the base because of damaging it.

Can anyone explain this in detail?

Mike P.
it just pulls off.... The mall nut holds your coil pack down snuggly, but it has nothing to do with taking that harness off. If you look at the picture before it, thats the only nut you have to remove. Then if you look in the background you will see the coilpack with the harness removed. Like I said before you have to squeeze it, then it just pulls off the back.
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

onlycodered is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the thread revival but thanks to the OP for posting this thread. I just got my first car ('02 Civic EX) and I'm in the process of learning how to do my own maintenance since I've always loved fixing things.

I went down to my local Advance Auto Parts and picked up some Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs. I already had a spark plug socket and an extension so I was all set. Only took me about 15 minutes to swap out my plugs and I couldn't be happier with the result. My engine runs much smoother now. Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2010
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Glad it helped
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

should you still use dielectric grease with coil packs ???
Old 04-06-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

^ Your supposed to yes But I bet most have been getting away with not doing it. I do it every time I pull the coil pack off.
Old 04-06-2010
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
^ Your supposed to yes But I bet most have been getting away with not doing it. I do it every time I pull the coil pack off.
Sorry for stepping in... I'm in the process of upgrading my plugs too. I just read about "dielectric grease"... what is that??. I'm lost here?. Do I need to do something to the coils packs before plugging them into the new plugs?... I was going to clean them with a rug, but dielectric grease is something that I have to get?.. thanks!!
Old 04-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you should still use it. You should apply it to the boot and the ceramic portion of the spark plug.

Dialectic grease is non conductive and seals the plug to the boot or the coil pack, not allowing moisture to get in and helping to eliminate corrosion. Corrosion of the contacts could cause misfires and a rough idle, and you don't want that.

Be sure to get it from an automotive place because automotive dielectric grease is high temp, and there is low temp stuff which you don't want to use.

Hope that helps
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

FRCornelis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tbohar
Yes you should still use it. You should apply it to the boot and the ceramic portion of the spark plug.

Dialectic grease is non conductive and seals the plug to the boot or the coil pack, not allowing moisture to get in and helping to eliminate corrosion. Corrosion of the contacts could cause misfires and a rough idle, and you don't want that.

Be sure to get it from an automotive place because automotive dielectric grease is high temp, and there is low temp stuff which you don't want to use.

Hope that helps
Sure it did. Thank you !!!. Now, one last thing... I will apply it to the ceramic portion of the plug and the "boot"... the only thing is I am not very sure where is the boot on the spark plug... sorry it's not joke.... any tip will be very appreciated. I will get the dielectric grease tomorrow then. Thank you so much.-
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

civic0918 is an unknown quantity at this point

nice write up you did a great job and ill be using this info this week im done paying out the butt for tune ups time i learn on my own.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

just apply a small amount to the plug and your good.
Old 04-07-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Originally Posted by lowlife9
just apply a small amount to the plug and your good.
Yea the point is to SEAL it so you want to make sure there is enough on there. That's why you apply it to the coil as well. Everyone does it differently and I don't think it's too important so that works too. By the boot I mean the coil pack Cornelis.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

the only reason i dont apply any to the boot is so that no grease accidentally gets on the spark plugs terminals.

Last edited by lowlife9; 04-07-2010 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

Since there is a boot instead of wires, would it be a good idea for me to get some replacement boots as well?
Old 04-07-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

never use bosch plugs or any other brand except ngk/denso on a honda. i guess he will be back in a month asking why he has multiple cylinder misfires.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
never use bosch plugs or any other brand except ngk/denso on a honda. i guess he will be back in a month asking why he has multiple cylinder misfires.
Well I'm glad I finally joined this forum, otherwise I never would have known that. From what I've been reading, the NGK Iridium IX are pretty good plugs. Which model of these should I get to fit my '02 Civic EX?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the answer to my question. I'll be getting a set of Iridium IX's (part # 6441) later today.

EDIT 2: Just got some NGK Iridium IX's and put those in. I think they give me a bit more power than the BOSCH Platinum +2's did. I'll probably try selling those BOSCH ones as slightly used. haha

Last edited by onlycodered; 04-07-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2010
Registered!!

i found something interesting when i searched for ngk plugs nothing came up for my 2004 VP onley DENSO but they came up for the DX i thought the DX and VP had the identical engine i also noticed that DENSO uses a different gap then all the rest they use .035 as opposed to .044 whqts the deal ???
Old 04-07-2010
Premium Member

i noticed too. all 01-05 civic engines use the same part numbers for plugs and should be gapped .044 stock. im not sure if that smaller gap is a typo or not. im pretty sure the denso iridium is more than .035 tho. i can check again, i have some spares waiting to go in this summer.
Old 04-14-2010
Registered!!

LittleBlack02 is an unknown quantity at this point

what about e3 spark plugs?
Old 04-14-2010
Premium Member

complete garbage. worse than bosch, i wouldnt even use it in my lawn mower.

Quick Reply: DIY: Changing Spark Plugs w/pics (noob version)