01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

Old 08-16-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

cluster is not the variable. its your car that has the problem. cluster only has warning lights that come on depending on what is happening to YOUR car. i would say you have some kind of fault in the srs system, esp if the light comes back after being reset. there is no save memory or any type of logic system in the cluster itself. everything comes from the ecu/pcm and mcu of the current car. make sure your battery terminals are tight before going into the srs system parts.
Old 08-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
logicdc is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video

Makes sense, but what throws me is that one cluster, no srs light - swap clusters without moving the car -- srs light.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

I have a Civic 2004 Manual DX-SE (Special Edition) already equipped with a tachometer and I want to swap in a cluster from a Civic 2004 LX Manual.

Will it be a direct swap or will it need some wiring?

I know that from 01-02 to 03-05, it definitely needs some, but what about cars from the same year?

If it needs some rewiring, could someone post me the wiring diagram?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

logicdc is an unknown quantity at this point

For 04 only VP is different. Should be straight swap.
Old 10-10-2012
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough

Really? That would be really great.

Can someone else confirm?
Old 10-11-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

01-02 lx/ex and 01-05 dx/vp use bulb style. 03-05 lx/ex use LED style. switching between the two styles requires rewiring. but you can swap just fine between same style. like 01 lx can swap with 05 dx no problem, but 01 ex and 04 lx cannot swap without rewire.
Old 10-29-2012
Meh...

Hensinger2010 will become famous soon enough

question.... while swapping my cluster the new clusters lens got cracked and i figured id just swap from the perfect old one from my original cluster, jokes on me the clips dont line up, i found the lens on majestic honda but there are two different lens possibilities seeming how i have both of them and neither of them have the part numbers on them, but both are shown as the same pic with no variation to the clips in question :/ anyone know which one i need? i went from a 03 civic ex, 2 dr, srs, red cluster, auto, to the 03 civic ex, 4 dr, no srs, blue cluster...any input would help just tired of driving without a lens, iv looked around online and apologize if this has been covered before, thanks
Old 10-30-2012
Premium Member

make sure you look up the exact info for the cluster you have. i went thru the same thing and coupe/sedan has a different plastic for each one. www.hondaautomotiveparts.com
Old 10-30-2012
Meh...

thanks for the reply gearbox but i did all that before I jumped on forums, what i was saying is there are 2 different lens listed and different part numbers for the sedan cluster i have... see highlight below V
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedo.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	84228  
Old 10-30-2012
Premium Member

ah yes, both parts are exactly the same. one is made in usa, one is made in japan (designated by A and J probably). The japan part is usually way more expensive. I just get the cheaper usa part when I do any ordering and never have a problem. I do sometimes get japan parts but only if usa version is not available or out of stock.
Old 10-30-2012
Meh...

makes sense, you sir are a genius, thank you so much
Old 01-21-2013
Registered!!

sonyblack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hy guys

I have a 03 ex cluster, and i want to put it in my 98 EK civic. I saw the diagrams, but in the green plug i have one extra wire. White in the 9.
The blue plug have 2 extra wire, red/white in 11, and blu/yel in 12.
Please somebody tell me what is that.

(sorry for my english)

Originally Posted by gearbox
everything you need should be in this thread, including the two conversion diagrams. here they are again tho

Old 01-23-2013
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sonyblack
Hy guys

I have a 03 ex cluster, and i want to put it in my 98 EK civic. I saw the diagrams, but in the green plug i have one extra wire. White in the 9.
The blue plug have 2 extra wire, red/white in 11, and blu/yel in 12.
Please somebody tell me what is that.

(sorry for my english)
98 Civic?

Yeah, you're on your own dude. Good luck is all I gotta say.
Old 02-04-2013
Registered!!

sonyblack is an unknown quantity at this point

90% done
Old 03-05-2013
Registered!!

Kiotzu is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I am planning to do this swap in the next couple weeks. I was just curious if I would be able to flash my cluster to match the proper KM
Old 04-18-2013
Registered!!

contevo is an unknown quantity at this point

So I bought civic 2005 cluster coupe ex w/o side side airbags for my civic 2001 lx coupe.. I follow diagram and took me two hours to complete.... I ran into two issue I didn't have before, I have check engine light on I didn't have before and I just find out my obd2 port not working either. the only fuse I blew was backup one. did I do something wrong in the wiring cause check engine online and the port??

thank you to the arthur of the DIY the video helped alot with the getting those damn pin out lol and nice job with the rest the guide. thank you.
Old 07-16-2013
Registered!!

lito99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just fyi, I've spent all day researching the forums (this and others) and have yet bee able to figure out my problem. I recently did a cluster swap to an 04 ex. When I turn on my headlights, my climate control lights do NOT light up at all and my radio screen dims to the lowest, barely any light.

My cluster lights up fine and i can adjust the brightness of it as well, but it won't adjust my other aforementioned lights. With the headlights off, the cluster and radio light up bright as normal.

I've taken out the cluster, re-checked all the wires, made sure they're plugged in, made sure they're in the right location. Everything on the cluster works fine. I even did a diagnostic on it. ALL fuses were checked and re-checked, no. 9 and no. 15 underhood as well as no.10 under dash especially.

One or two people had the same problem, but they never posted if they were able to solve it, it kinda just was left undone.

At this point I'm baffled, I dunno what the problem is. Can anyone help me out? I'd appreciate it!
Old 03-06-2014
Registered!!

aga080 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, couldn't get the 05 cluster to work in the 2002 civic lx after doing the correct re-pinning on the wiring harnesses.

Went to throw the original cluster back and and return the wiring harnesses to stock form.

It turns out my civic is slightly different than the "original" diagrams posted in the original post.

I think that evhthing is working correctly but the the cluster will not light up.

Does anyone know what wire this is and what pin number it would go into on which connector?

Or even better would be the wiring diagrams for the cluster harnesses on a manual 2002 civic lx 4 door

Please help guys!! Thankyou!!!!!
Old 09-12-2015
Registered!!

rallyeredem0 is an unknown quantity at this point

i want to do this so freaking bad
Old 02-25-2018
Registered!!

kameha5th is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings guys! I know this thread is extremely old but I’m at a point where I’m stuck. I have no idea how to get the pins out. The provided video of the thread isn’t working anymore.. I was hoping someone one may re-upload it or show how to do it? Been at it for hours, managed to even break one pin wire already.. thanks in advance!

Edit, I figured it out.

It's actually really not that hard.. just push the paper clip ever so slightly (don't use a lot of force). The paper clip will have this 'click' sound. While the paper clip is inside the top hole, pull the wire, it should come out straight.

Last edited by kameha5th; 03-02-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2018
Registered!!

marlouiegene18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by logicdc
Makes sense, but what throws me is that one cluster, no srs light - swap clusters without moving the car -- srs light.
Hello, were you able to figure it out? I just successfully swamped mine but the SRS light is stuck on. It won budge even when I try resetting the light. I know it has been years since your post but wondering if you were able to figure it out.
Old 01-16-2020
Registered!!

Clos is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=01HonderCivic;4143971]**EDIT** 4/8/2007
="3"%Had a request to make a video of me removing the pins, so I obliged and here it is, for those of you who require more visual aides

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...0a014958b4.htm

Before it was installed, after it got cleaned up really nice

**EDIT** 3/14/2007

Got it installed finally...here's the finished product

This is going to be a long read of some tips and tricks and issues I had that might come in handy for anybody doing this in the future...

1. The Wiring
Once I figured out the trick, I had the green cluster de-pinned in 5 minutes, not exaggerating one bit. I know it's supposed to be easy to figure it out, but to someone like me who's never done this type of thing before, it was tricky to figure out. Just trying to help all the newbs out

The pin-swapping: Only thing I noticed that was a bit convuluded was on DirtySamurai's wiring guide (Thread link HERE), the white-red wire that goes into the green connector listed both as going into the same pin slot. From looking at the diagram , I went with the white-red wire from the blue cluster and moved it over to the green one. Just FYI. Also, the red-white wire from the green cluster was the only wire I didn't use. . Like it's been said before, the only wire needing to be extended was the Yellow-Black wire being taken from the green connector to the blue connector. I just cut, spliced using butt connectors, and taped over the connectors just to be safe. The only wire I needed that was listed that I didn't have was the green-black wire in the blue connector. Everything works fine so I'm going to assume it's either DRL or Side SRS. Both of which my car doesn't have.

Is this the same diagram for a 02 Civic ex I’m swapping to 04 or 05 the blue one
Old 11-11-2021
Registered!!

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
gatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of light

So question: In the next two weeks I will be embarking on this gauge cluster swap. I have diagrams that will help US people connect the old cluster to the new cluster that makes it very easy to swap (not that the diagrams were not already easy).

I want to power up the new gauge to see what the current mileage is with the cluster out of the car (before I try to connect the new gauge cluster). If I just connect 12V to the WHT/RED pin #17 on the green plug ON THE NEW GAUGE and ground pin #22 on the green plug (on the gauge cluster, and not the plug from the vehicle), that, theoretically, should make the gauge power up so that I can see the mileage, right? Or would I also have to connect 12V to YEL pin #18 ON THE NEW GAUGE for switched 12V power for the new gauge to power on?

Last edited by gatrhumpy1; 11-11-2021 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2021
Registered!!

gatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of lightgatrhumpy1 is a glorious beacon of light

So I took a chance, and it worked! It you connect pins #17 and #18 on the green plug to a 12V source (In my case, an ENERCELL 12 AC adapter) and ground pins #22 on the green plug and #22 on the blue plug, the gauge will light up. In my case, it read 172841 miles, so that means I just have to wait approximately 8k miles on my VP gauge cluster before I can switch over. I'm excited!
The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,833 Likes on 1,292 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If you need to add mileage to the replacement cluster you can also simulate a VSS signal. Then just watch the odometer slowly climb.
sdaidoji (11-13-2021)
Old 11-12-2021
Registered!!

How would I do that?
Old 11-12-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

VSS signal to the cluster is just a 5V pulse wave. Something like 4,000 pulses per mile. I used an Arduino Uno for the pulses.
sdaidoji (11-13-2021)
Old 11-22-2022
Registered!!

Question: it seems the brightness on my new gauge dash is not very bright. I turned it all the way up using the dial, but for some reason it's still nit all that bright. Has anyone experienced this before after the swap, and how did it get fixed?
Old 11-23-2022
Super Moderator

It's not very bright with the headlights on or off? If I remember correctly it is brighter when the headlights are off and dims when they are turned on. There is a separate brightness setting for each.
Old 11-23-2022
Registered!!

Seems like it's not very bright with both headlight on and off. It's like the purple part of the gauge is not very bright. I will try to take a picture.
formatos2002 (07-03-2023)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01-02 to 03-05 Gauge Cluster Swap: DONE! Pics inside w/ Pin removing FAQ & Video